First 20 minutes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Jacko2712

I have posted about this in other threads but thought that it could be worth while creating it's own thread. All through my junior footy it was always drilled into me that a game cannot be won in the first 20 but it definitely can be lost.

It is no secret that we are not great starters. Flashback to round 25 last year where we were in a nail biter against the cowboys for the first half and even conceded the first try. Thankfully, given the rules and gap in quality between teams we were able to run over them in the second half and the first 20 was forgotten.

Flash forward to now and 3 of our past 4 games we have lost convincingly and were outplayed in the first 20 minutes for all of them. We were very fortunate to only concede one try in the first 20 after being completely outplayed and out muscled. This meant we were always chasing the game and had no chance in the end.

I think that we need to have a simple plan in the first 20 mins, as to what this is I don't know. It could be simply trying to play through the middle third and having Chezza kick to the corner on tackle 4 and man up.

Interested to get your thoughts, am I completely overlooking it or do we need to rethink our starts to games?

No use asking me ... I have been accused lately of being a dinosaur ... and my only personal experience was that there was no game plan for the 1st 10 minutes .. this was solely a thumpathon to get "on top" of the opposition by all means, fair or otherwise.

Maybe we should Bring it back.

I think the true answer is in those 3 out of 4 losses we played superior teams who used the same game plan to basically beat us up....that first 10 or so in these particular games has been like the python sliding up our body and by the 10-15 minute mark, it wraps around the throat and slowly but surely squeezes the life out of Manly.
your point of starting well is very valid and as you point out, it's easy to claw back against weaker sides, but any Top contendor will take advantage of the slow start and shuts every gate, not allowing that spectacular comeback win full of flashy footy, which instead turn into errors and panic football...

No use asking me ... I have been accused lately of being a dinosaur ... and my only personal experience was that there was no game plan for the 1st 10 minutes .. this was solely a thumpathon to get "on top" of the opposition by all means, fair or otherwise.

Jeez I use to love that first 10 minutes, best part of the game, and that first scrum, sorted out the forwards from the get go ...

Oh crap looks I'm one of those dinos :eek:

I’m sure Manly go into the game to win that first 20 mins it’s just apparent that they can’t at the moment against the defending premiers
Lets see how Manly go this week

Start fast, high energy, patience and build pressure. We didn't lose a single game last year after having a halftime lead.

Accused? Seriously! you are a dinosaur! worse, I'm probably an old older one. I'm prehistoric.

Dropped balls, 6 agains , give away a penalty or 2 and that kills us off all in the first 20min. Heads drop, the forwards backpedalling and the halves do headless chook plays and limp dick kicks. You can see the capitulation grow. So yes , dominate the first 20min, kick pressure and field position a must and FFS DON'T GIVE AWAY STUPID PENALTIES.

Manly's problem is not necessarily the 1st 20 mins, but the 2nd 20 mins is where they fall down when the bench comes in to play.

Basically, we do not have enough good forwards to maintain the effort put in by the starting line up.

manly were 5 nil in penalties after 15 minutes last week
its a strong stat we should have converted into something. pressure, field position, possession something

manly were 5 nil in penalties after 15 minutes last week
its a strong stat we should have converted into something. pressure, field position, possession something
100% correct and instead of creating repeat sets, there were 2 dropped ball errors and a fair 1 on 1 steal whilst in good field position

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8