Favourite Rugby League Commentator/ Media Ever ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Even though I dislike the guy in every other aspect I quite liked Ray Hadley radio game commentary only in the early years with Gibbsy. No doubt Rabbits was the best. Frank Hyde was great but in the later years he got confused a lot. Hartley and Peters just screamed. Col Pierce was the most unbiased of them all.
I agree about Hadley , He was very good on the radio calls , but torture on TV !

Sexy Rexy Best caller followed by the colourful Vossy for mine

Rex on his beloved Manly Members stand
League legend Rex Mossop in hospital
I 100% agree with your commentator assessment.

Long, long ago when I was just a little bloke, this loud footy crazed fella was screaming down the house and definitely lit up the screen come footy time, for both fans or those who couldn't stand him.
His name was "Moose Mossop" and he was not only bias towards Manly (who he represented in league and union), he gave players a serve who didn't put in....and didn't hold back.
Today in this precious society, he would be thrown to the wolves as being "insulting" - "A Bully" ect but I loved his passion and not always agreed with what he was saying, but I still respect ppl speaking from the heart and not being sheep regardless and had an enthusiasm many others lack today.
Also every Sunday arvo I would be home as a kid and wait to hear if the Manly game was being covered on any station and recall 1 particular game Manly vs Newtown and Manly down 10 - 3 (80's game) with 2 mins on the clock.....Manly make a break and the ball went to winger Stuart Davis....old Frank Hyde was going berserk to the point he lost is voice but his gasping sounds were enough to show it was a Manly try in the corner !!
Eadie missed the kick but happy with the 10 all draw and perhaps the most emotional commentary i have ever heard, always remember this moment.
So I ask Silvertails, who was our favourite commentator and also most memorable commentary moment ??
The Newtown game that you speak of was from 19 July 1981:

1676443809266.png

"Oh, they are crucifying Blamain! This is a crucifixion! A slaughter!" - Rex Mossop

This whole game highlights clip is full of classic Rex in full cry as Manly absolutely flog Balmain in a mid season top of the table clash.

17m 46s

I remember that before we played them, Balmain were first on the ladder on 20 points & Manly was second on 17 points.
We all know how that year ended for each team!

warren boland, john peard with artie.
roy and HG had moments but were too big a distraction to the footy
loved RLW when ian heads was the man
vossy was ok for a bit but became an egomaniac
like brandy now
ikin was good on 360. anasta ok
Yes, @jbb/james ,it's Warren Boland, Bomber Peard and Big Artie for me.

Think most of it is what you grew up with, Ray Warren absolutely outstanding and the way he worked with Sterlo and Fatty made it even better. I grew up with Graeme Hughes commentating and he is probably my favourite of all time

Late 90s we would get ABC coverage on the radio over here and I really enjoyed Peter Wilkins

For me what I grew up with on the radio - it was Frank Hyde and Rex on TV he was the original footy show
But in later years it was Hadley on the Radio but I also like Holywood and Zorba and on TV it was standout with Rabs but I did like Fatty and Sterlo added to the mix. And I liked Graham Hughes he still sounds good.
Todays guys I liked Vossy since he was different to the rest and always humorous but he's getting a bit tired and boring these days.

Old school , Rex

Before he became a wanker , Hadley

Currently , Warren Smith is the best

Yep this is me too.

I will add Hollywood and Zorba who I really enjoyed for a few seasons.Of course John O'Reilly on the ABC was a class above.

Sorry not to pick fellow Junee boy Rabs, he is up there just not my absolute favourite.

Rabs with Sterlo and Fatty was best for me, not Rabs with Gus though. Didn’t enjoy that combo of last few years, Warren Smith and Greg Alexander are the current ones I enjoy the best

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6