Favourite Manly games or moments ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
64-12 over the eels in 1988 at parra stadium. Remembered as well for the eels supporter who gave it to a Manly fan at the top of the northern hill, then got punched and rolled all the way down to the fence!
61-0 v St George at brookie in 1994. I grew up in a pro Dragons area, that result is forever etched as the St George clubs biggest ever defeat as that club no longer exists!
2013 The Souths final and giving it to them as their supporters left early!
2013 Rorters semi, great support even though a 4-0 loss

The slapping affair in the gong especially the waving Hoppa while scoring!

Flogging Balmain at Leichhardt!

I'll never forget sitting on the packed out hill on a Sunday afternoon watching that great come back draw with Brisbane 26-26. Hill's amazing effort to score in the corner in the final minutes sent the place into mayhem. Then came that Reeves kick from the sideline with the sun in his eyes
That's a stand out for me too

• 👍
Reactions: Ben
Wins like the 2008 GF aside, I'm going to have to go with the 2 games I have managed to get to in my life so far.

The 1996 ARL Grand Final. I'm forever grateful to my cousin and his wife for getting me a ticket to the game.

Rd.22 in 1998 when Manly came to Adelaide and thumped the Rams 32-10. Beaver scored a hat trick that night at Hindmarsh (now Coopers) Stadium.

Two very different looking Manly teams played those games only two years apart.

1996 GF:
Matthew Ridge, Danny Moore, Craig Innes, Terry Hill, John Hopoate, Nik Kosef, Geoff Toovey (c), David Gillespie, Jim Serdaris, Mark Carroll, Steve Menzies, Daniel Gartner, Owen Cunningham. Res - Cliff Lyons, Neil Tierney, Des Hasler, Craig Hancock.

Rd.22, 1998:
Luke Phillips, Craig Hancock, John Hopoate, Terry Hill, Alf Duncan, Craig Field, Geoff Toovey (c), Adam Peters, Anthony Colella, Daniel Gartner, Steve Menzies, Nik Kosef, Cliff Lyons. Res - Albert Torrens, Scott Fulton, Joe Taylor, Andrew Hunter.

Incidentally, whatever happened to Alf Duncan? Came from nowhere in 1998 and scored 14 tries in 16 games as a rookie. Then only played 4 games in 1999 (no tries) and that was it, his NRL career was done.

Losing the 1995 grand final really hurts. Mid way through that streak of 15 straight wins Cliffy took a late intercept to shut up 25K fans at Bruce Stadium for Manly to win. Then in the following game at Brookie in front of another 25K crowd we smashed the Broncos by 20. Anyone who was around in that era will know that even beating one of those teams required a monumental effort, but Manly did it back to back.

I was at that game and it was a beauty. Manly had two in the bin at one stage if I remember correctly. Even bumped into a few Raider-supporting work colleagues on the way out of the ground... they weren't happy to see me for some reason @:). Made it home in time to watch the replay on telly to top the day off. The Raiders may not have been beaten at home for a couple of seasons at that stage too.

Wins like the 2008 GF aside, I'm going to have to go with the 2 games I have managed to get to in my life so far.

The 1996 ARL Grand Final. I'm forever grateful to my cousin and his wife for getting me a ticket to the game.

Rd.22 in 1998 when Manly came to Adelaide and thumped the Rams 32-10. Beaver scored a hat trick that night at Hindmarsh (now Coopers) Stadium.

1996 GF:
Matthew Ridge, Danny Moore, Craig Innes, Terry Hill, John Hopoate, Nik Kosef, Geoff Toovey (c), David Gillespie, Jim Serdaris, Mark Carroll, Steve Menzies, Daniel Gartner, Owen Cunningham. Res - Cliff Lyons, Neil Tierney, Des Hasler, Craig Hancock.

Rd.22, 1998:
Luke Phillips, Craig Hancock, John Hopoate, Terry Hill, Alf Duncan, Craig Field, Geoff Toovey (c), Adam Peters, Anthony Colella, Daniel Gartner, Steve Menzies, Nik Kosef, Cliff Lyons. Res - Albert Torrens, Scott Fulton, Joe Taylor, Andrew Hunter.

Incidentally, whatever happened to Alf Duncan? Came from nowhere in 1998 and scored 14 tries in 16 games as a rookie. Then only played 4 games in 1999 (no tries) and that was it, his NRL career was done.
Alf went to Balmain, enough said.

I have so many favourite years over the 43 years that I have loved the club.

Each grand final win is to be cherished and two stand out for me, 1978 when the team went through so much to win the premiership, I was an 11 year old boy and that team sealed my love for the club, to this day the Wombat, Maxy, Thommo, Igor and the rest of that great team were my heroes. Also the 2008 grand final was special and very emotional after nearly losing our club just a few years earlier, I remember the feeling when Beaver scored his try and how emotional that was and what that win meant.

Over the years there have been some stand out performances from the team that I saw and I will go through each opponent and tell you my favourite memory.

Parramatta: Our biggest and long term rivals, we share an amazing history with them and for me the day that Manly buried them 64-12 on their own patch really stands out. Seeing their fans leave in droves with 20 minutes left was priceless, that was nirvana for the Manly fans at that game.

Canterbury: I remember a game at Belmore in 1982 when we were down to 11 men, the penalty count was 19-7 against us and by some sort of miracle, the team won 8-7, it was a wet day at Belmore and we were all sitting in the shed behind the goal and there was an almighty punch up that day between their fans and ours. That was some day.

St George: Beating them 61-0 in 1994 at a packed out Brooky was the perfect performance, Saints had made the two previous grand finals and this was their heaviest ever defeat.

Balmain: I remember going to one of my first games at Brooky in May 1976 and I remember Manly winning 14-0 and Bozo scored a great try. At the time is was the record crowd for Brookvale too.

Cronulla: There are too many performances where we have shattered them, one that does stand out was the comeback in 2011 when we were 13-0 down with 15 minutes left and we came from the clouds to still the match with the last play of the game.

Souths: Another enemy of ours, for me the stand out game was in 1987 at Redfern before a record crowd with a come from behind win and a spectacular try by Ronny Gibbs.

Easts: I remember a game at the SFS where Manly won in 2012 52-14 I remember it because the score in that game was all about Manly being clinical in taking every chance while the Roosters missed so many chances. it was an easy win but for much of that game pretty tense.

Norths: I remember a rain soaked day in 1984 at Bear Park and Manly dispatched the Bears to the tune of 56-4. Massive result and the poor old bears were humiliated.

Wests: 1980 at Brooky, both teams went into huddles, the game erupted in a scrum and it was mayhem for a while and Manly prevailed against a strong Wests team 11-8.

Penrith:1988 at Penrith Park, they had to win to make the finals, we were there, huge game, record crowd and Manly got the job done 18-4, massive win up there and a memorable day.

Newtown: Henson Park 1976, our great team decimated the Jets 57-6 it was a total cake walk and that team went on to win a premiership.

Illawarra: 1982 and we conceded the first three tries of the game and stormed home to beat the at Brooky.

Canberra: A great win we had there in 1988, they were a great team and Cliffy turned on a clinic and Manly won a tense game.

Brisbane: 1995, the most hostile I have ever seen a Brookvale crowd, it was the day we opened the Ken Arthurson stand and it was at the height of the super league war, The Donkeys were the epitome of everything that Super League stood for and our fans gave it to their team and Manly crunched the 23-4

Newcastle: 1995 and the game where Spud v Chief collision happened and Manly put them right in their place with an overwhelming win.

Gold Coast: A big win at Brookvale late in 2009 where Manly demolished a team that finished 3rd and made a grand final qualifier, that was a great team we had back then.

Melbourne: Easily, the battle of Brookvale, where they tried it on and they were dealt with, it sent a message to them that we would not be pushed around and I think it was the kick start for Manly to win that premiership!

Warriors: Tense game at the end of the 2017 season and DCE slots a field goal to clinch a scrappy and up and down game. It pretty much ensured that we made the 8 that season.

Cowboys: A great win in early 2017 where Manly belted them 30-8 and gave us belief that we had a good team again after the disaster of the previous season.

Wests Tigers: The game in 2006 when Snake scored a spectacular try to win the game in the wet on a Friday night, that was very special.

St George/Illawarra: An upset with over them in 2004, we were ordinary and we toppled them at Brooky and it was a typical underdog performance that our club is known for.

There are so many memories over so many years. For 43 years I have loved the club and these are just a few of the memories I have.

Its been so much fun and there is much more to come from our club!

It’s just a little moment and I don’t even recall who we were playing but on the highlights reel in my head there’s a bit of Chez and Foz magic. We’d been pinned on our line for 4 or 5 sets and Cherry was taking yet another drop out from under the cross bar. This time he faked to boot it way down field but actually chipped it out. Foz swooped on it as soon as it had gone 10 metres and scampered to the half way line before he was dragged down. Slick. Can’t even remember if we won the match.
I remember, the droppout was from the southern end. I thought it was against GC 2013 but this is what I found.

I was at that game and it was a beauty. Manly had two in the bin at one stage if I remember correctly. Even bumped into a few Raider-supporting work colleagues on the way out of the ground... they weren't happy to see me for some reason @:). Made it home in time to watch the replay on telly to top the day off. The Raiders may not have been beaten at home for a couple of seasons at that stage too.

Me too! Long drive from Sydney but worth it!

The day after the 2008 grand final I bumped into a friend who is also a Manly tragic while shopping. She shook her head and just said “how good was that”.

Stranger going over to win the heritage round match in 2008 against the Eels with only a few minutes to go. We were down 3 injured players (but you already knew that) and the fresh and full strength Eels were finishing all over us till Heath stepped two defenders to touch down beside the posts.

1996 GF:

Rd.22, 1998:

Alf had a bad knee injury, which seemed to end his time at manly. He played for newtown for a few seasons scoring a lot of tries for them.

Last edited:
I was a fourteen year old country boy who saw the 61/0 at Brookie. First time there. Part of a trip organised for our minor league club that let us watch four games over the long weekend. Lyons and Ridge were incredible. Also being from the bush most of the parents and their kids were saints supporters and they cried.

2015 ANZAC day match in Melbourne. We were bottom of the ladder and everyone was expecting us to get thrashed. Even the security guys were giving it to us when we went through the gate.
It was pissing down with rain and the Melbourne crowd were feral. We sat at the opposite end to the Manly (away) bay. and this massive Polynesian guy started shouting at us that we had the wrong seats. With 10 to go Wolfie scored right in front of us and we held on for the win! I will never forget the sight of Tooves giving it to the Melbourne fans from the coaching box, and (with my partner holding me back) I went up to the Polynesian guy and told him how great those seats were :).
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/me...-late-david-williams-try-20150425-1mt5y6.html

Late 80's to mid 90's games was a great era,the first glimpses of professionalism really shining through from marketing to training to improved/more thoughtful ways of playing the game.

Manly beating a strong Canberra outfit at Bruce Stadium with Hopper having a runaway try, Manly was now a match for the powerhouse teams of Canberra and Brisbane and not merely making up the numbers in the top 8.

The Manly Newcastle game with the famous Carrol and Harragon collision.

Both Semi's against Cronulla in 95 and 96.

Also enjoyed a game at Brookie Manly vs Roosters Friday Night that showcased the smarts of Fittler and Gould, i recall a beautiful flat face pass from Fittler during that game if i'm not mistaken.
Yer we beat them but Fittler through a great flat pass to his left, right on our line . Fittler was wearing head gear that match .

Yer we beat them but Fittler through a great flat pass to his left, right on our line . Fittler was wearing head gear that match .
Foran in the attacking elements of the game could have modeled himself on Fittler, pity his body and mindset were busted during his maturing growth years.

The Battle of Brookvale, Round 25, 2011

Every home game in the 2018 season, a few examples include
  • letting in 4 tries in 6 minutes against Penrith
  • Manly 24 - Roosters 56
  • The most depressing game of the season against the Titans, getting beat 42 - 34 in the final home game of the season.
I attended every home game apart from the Raiders game (which we won) and I obviously enjoyed every moment of it ;)

Stranger going over to win the heritage round match in 2008 against the Eels with only a few minutes to go. We were down 3 injured players (but you already knew that) and the fresh and full strength Eels were finishing all over us till Heath stepped two defenders to touch down beside the posts.
Thanks @Cioran ….I've been trying to recall when that was! That game against the Eels at Parra was the gutsiest Manly win I've ever seen. I clearly remember towards the end of the game Mark Bryant was playing on one leg, as we had so many injuries and nobody left on the bench.

A no brainer, the '08 GF is THE favourite but there have been numerous games/moments in my 45+ years of supporting Manly.

Just a few special mentions - our 1st GF win in '72, the '87 GF win and being at the last SCG GF, Cliffy & Beaver - what legends!, Tooves 1st grade debut vs the Poms at Brookie in '88 and can't forget some awesome tries by Snake, Matai and Wolfman :inlove: to snag last minute wins.

Blessed with so many memories .... but personally it was winning the '72 Grandfinal ..... to this day people recall things that happened during the game ... I was there on the old hill and can't remember anything other than the chant and cheering non stop ....

It was that game that convinced me to play rugby league and I had my first game ever at the age of 20yo in 1973 ...

Okay, that bit wasn't so funny, but yeah, he did.

56-0 I think mate
Round 17, Sunday 8th July, 2007.

I so want a copy of that game !

291ec22c7184ed60d1b51e0c6c6adf3c

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...cedb4bcdc?sv=ea6f382e6aba7591153e998b1bdca9cb

CHRIS Anderson had an inkling last month that his coaching career was coming to an end.

After seeing television footage of himself at a recent post-match press conference, the two-time premiership-winning coach was concerned with the effect that a miserable season was having on his health and family.

When Sydney Roosters were beaten 56-0 by Manly at Brookvale last Saturday night, Anderson, 54, decided his time had come.

The former Australia coach, who informed Roosters officials and senior players of his decision on Monday night, sounded like a man at ease yesterday.

Anderson, who had a heart attack on the 2001 Kangaroos Tour, is understood to have stopped exercising and missed an appointment with his doctor.

"I could see it coming because he had said a few things in the last few weeks that were out of the ordinary," Sharks prop Danny Nutley, one of the first players Anderson called, said.

"When he said it, I just stopped. I sat there for 20 minutes thinking what the hell did he just say to me.

"It was affecting his health. It's only a game of footy."

Roosters captain Craig Fitzgibbon was contacted by Anderson on Monday night.

"I thought he was ringing to talk about the upcoming game, but then he dropped the bombshell," Fitzgibbon said.

"I could hear the relief in his voice."

Anderson, appointed by the club late last year after it failed to snare Wayne Bennett, has struggled to adapt to the modern game.

His stint in charge of the Bondi Junction club began with the ill-fated use of one marker and culminated in the record defeat at the hands of the Sea Eagles on the weekend. The result left the former Bulldogs, Melbourne and Sharks coach devastated.

Anderson had in fact been concerned for several weeks about his own physical condition.

"I looked at myself in one of the (press) conferences after the match a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't really like what I saw," Anderson said on Sydney radio station Vega.

"It made the decision pretty easy in the end. I'm just glad to be out of the rat race.

"It's been knocking me around more than I thought it would. I have certainly retired from coaching. I won't ever coach again. It's too tough. I'm not quite up to that."

Anderson, whose job has been taken by his 35-year-old assistant Brad Fittler, described the NRL as a young man's game.

"Young blokes can put up with that and handle it," Anderson said.

"The game has been good to me over the years. I'm not going out on any bitter note. You don't always get to finish how you want. I think health and family are more important than that."

While Anderson has left, he was not forgotten as the Roosters gathered for a camp on the New South Wales South Coast yesterday.

Fitzgibbon addressed the squad when they arrived, telling the players they had to accept responsibility for Anderson's resignation.

"I couldn't have said it more bluntly," Fitzgibbon said.

"After a 56-0 thrashing, if you don't ask some questions ... you probably don't deserve to be in the team at the moment."

Roosters lock Braith Anasta said he felt partly responsible for Anderson's decision.

"He tried his guts out for us," Anasta said.

"In a sense, I feel we have let him down a bit.

"Some responsibility has to fall on the players."

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4