Fans would tear the joint down if Manly relocated

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
Des Hasler warns fans ‘would tear the joint down’ if Manly relocated
Paul Crawley, NRL, The Daily Telegraph
March 22, 2019 7:13pm
Subscriber only
Des Hasler has warned Manly fans “would tear the joint down” if their team was forced to relocate away from Brookvale Oval.

And Hasler’s comments were backed by club chairman and co-owner Scott Penn who told The Saturday Telegraph it would be “mad” to even consider moving the Sea Eagles from Sydney’s Northern Beaches.

Saturday’s clash against the Sydney Roosters will mark Hasler’s first game back in charge of a Manly team at the spiritual home since 2011, when Hasler guided the Sea Eagles to their last NRL title.

But the significance of the occasion has been overshadowed this week by the expansion versus relocation debate that ignited after comments from NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg officially put all Sydney clubs on notice.

Manly is viewed as arguably the most vulnerable of all Sydney clubs given Brookvale’s outdated facilities, as well as a sharp drop in home crowds in recent years that followed a decline in on-field success.

But rather than sit back and let the fight come to him, Hasler on Friday took it head-on.

While conceding the job of returning Manly to a premiership force was not going to happen overnight, Hasler said the club’s geographical location as well as its rich history of success in a rugby league heartland should not be forgotten or ignored when it comes to deciding which clubs live and die.

“Where there is smoke there is fire and it could get a little bit argy-bargy by the time it comes around,” Hasler said.

“Emotively, they would tear the joint down if the club was to relocate.

“Over the past two decades it has had enormous success on the field.

“It has a proud history.

“Geographically it is centred pretty well given the fact there is nothing between here and Newcastle.”

Last year Manly only averaged 8630 for home crowds, the lowest since Hasler initially took charge in 2004, with the team only winning three of its home games in 2018.

But in 2011 on their charge to a premiership the Sea Eagles won all 10 at home, with crowds averaging 13,121.

Penn also told The Saturday Telegraph his family was committed to the club for the long haul and that club officials had been in recent discussions with the NRL about its future, even before Greenberg’s comments this week.

While no guarantees were given, Penn said: “The rhetoric has been positive in terms of us enhancing our backyard rather than moving”.

Asked directly if he believed Manly would remain on the northern beaches, Penn said: “Of course, we have to.

“The fact is we have over one million people in our catchment area.

“We are the only professional sporting team in that catchment area.

“So it we would be crazy to give it up to potentially the FFA or rugby, or someone else will put a team there.

“At the moment we are such a dominant force on the Northern Beaches and North Shore.

“We would be mad.

“I mean, strategically, who else is going to attract that catchment area?”

One of the most emotive topics among many fans when it comes to confronting the expansion versus relocation debate relates to the massive costs associated with setting up a new franchise in non-rugby league heartlands, as opposed to helping existing clubs.

Asked if the NRL was doing enough to help existing clubs in heartland regions, Penn added: “Probably not today but we are certainly starting to work down that path.

“I think there is absolutely a willingness.

“We have already had some very early discussions with the NRL about how we can make ourselves even more dominant in the area.”

TG proclaims the game is in better shape than ever before. So if that is the case, why is the conversation of relocating any team - yet alone the most successful one over the past 50 years - even taking place?

If the game is that strong, then it will be able to handle adding 2 extra teams instead of relocating (read: culling) Sydney teams.

Individual team successes mean very little to Turd Greenslime, unless they are Melb, Bris, Canb, GC or NZ. He knows that Sydney is uncompetitive for individual clubs and therefore the market for his service is constrained. Relocating 2 Sydney teams is correct if "you run the NRL". We are so far behind the AFL It's not funny in that regard.

The NRL is not a tribal. It is purely there to provide acceptable content to broadcasters, and broadcasters want "reach" nationwide.

Manly make a good argument with the Sydney to Newcastle demographic, but its the "numbers" rather than the location that interest the broadcasters.

This is the dichotomy of the NRL - tribal allegiance and geographic ownership measured by Sydney suburbs against the might of commercial viability.

One will have to give.

The NRL is not a tribal. It is purely there to provide acceptable content to broadcasters, and broadcasters want "reach" nationwide.

Manly make a good argument with the Sydney to Newcastle demographic, but its the "numbers" rather than the location that interest the broadcasters.

This is the dichotomy of the NRL - tribal allegiance and geographic ownership measured by Sydney suburbs against the might of commercial viability.

Admittedly it was the first time in 7 or so years but the NRL outrated the AFL on free to air and pay tv last year. With 12 games less and not counting Origin... Not too shabby for a suburban game against the nationwide appeal of the AFL.. Can't see how the broadcasters can not be happy especially when they pay less for higher ratings..

Exactly. We should be playing to the codes strength, which I believe is tribalism / suburban grounds. Other cities is Australia don't have the same pride and ownership towards their local area (esp. Brisbane).. We're closer to UK football in that regard.

Greenburg should be lobbying the government to improve suburban grounds rather than the big stadiums. More parras new home and less monolithic empty grounds like ANZ.

Speaking of Brisbane, how on earth is a new comer going to top the broncos is terms of support? Barry O'farrell was on the money with his comments the other day, the NRL needs to show the cost/benefit of relocating a team. At the moment it's just lip service.

Surely tribalism is AFL? Collingwood, Carlton etc. West Coast and Fremantle, Sydney and GWS all hate each other etc

Admittedly it was the first time in 7 or so years but the NRL outrated the AFL on free to air and pay tv last year. With 12 games less and not counting Origin... Not too shabby for a suburban game against the nationwide appeal of the AFL.. Can't see how the broadcasters can not be happy especially when they pay less for higher ratings..
Maybe if the whole thing wasn't rigged in favour of a select few teams, the game might actually be a genuine contest worth watching again...

If the worst thing happens I will 100% blame the Penn family.

They have made our team a laughing stock through a series of ridiculous decisions made and repeated year after year.

The crunch has come, a decision to relocate teams will probably be made after Origin 3.

It's too late now to dig us out of the hole barring a very unlikely 10 wins from our next 12 matches and a massive increase in home crowds and memberships.

Ladies and gents Todd has finally got what he has always wanted, our fate in his hands. I will bet any thing if at decision time Manly or Tigers say 13 from 15 and the Dogs are 0 from15 the Dogs won't even be mentioned.

“The fact is we have over one million people in our catchment area."

Unlike in Perth or Adelaide, this is a million people who at least know what rugby league is.

And the minute the NRL succeed in killing or moving Manly, the 'Sydney' Roosters will be given NRL assistance in taking over the north side of Sydney & Central Coast.

If Greenberg thinks he can transplant a Sydney team to another state and existing fans are going to keep supporting the club he's off his head. Even if they moved to my local area I wouldn't watch them out of principal and I definitely wouldn't be watching league on the TV. Got to wonder what his agenda is.

I thnk we'd all like a souvenir from the old girl if they did ever relocate. I'd be tearing down a little piece and taking it with me if the last ever home game happens in my life time

Council would just approve a DA for units there.
Pretty sure the land was originally given to council only on the condition it was always kept for community recreation use (or some such description) and that's why Penn's apartment towers can't get approved and that's why they use the ground for frisbees and dog-walking.
(I think.)

Pretty sure the land was originally given to council only on the condition it was always kept for community recreation use (or some such description) and that's why Penn's apartment towers can't get approved and that's why they use the ground for frisbees and dog-walking.
(I think.)
Yeah I know - was joking but lot of truth there if you know the area...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8