experts say depth is our weakness

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I've heard so many of them (even among our Silvertails experts who are obviously the most knowledgeable of all) say "Yes, yes, Manly is a dark horse this year but lack of depth is their weakness."
I disagree. Its true we're not one of those clubs that picks the eyes out of the very best juniors either side of the Tasman.
However we have a great environment, for which Des gets huge credit, in which I expect our developing talent to blossom.
I expect us to play well with no excuses while several of our big guns are sidelined, and I expect us to win more than our share of games.
Players such as Keppie Parker, Elliot, and Boyle have already showed plenty, and I expect Croker, Cust Olakauatu (and Hoppa and Schuster when called upon) to show they aren't out of place in first grade. Make the 'experts' choke on their words :)

I've heard so many of them (even among our Silvertails experts who are obviously the most knowledgeable of all) say "Yes, yes, Manly is a dark horse this year but lack of depth is their weakness."
I disagree. Its true we're not one of those clubs that picks the eyes out of the very best juniors either side of the Tasman.
However we have a great environment, for which Des gets huge credit, in which I expect our developing talent to blossom.
I expect us to play well with no excuses while several of our big guns are sidelined, and I expect us to win more than our share of games.
Players such as Keppie Parker, Elliot, and Boyle have already showed plenty, and I expect Croker, Cust Olakauatu (and Hoppa and Schuster when called upon) to show they aren't out of place in first grade. Make the 'experts' choke on their words :)
Well let me say this to the sexperts ....
We might not have the depth but we have proven that we do have the Unmatched Manly resilient spirit to fill every position with a passionate Manly player and get the fcking job done :)

The spirit of the Eagle is unmatched
images (2).jpg

We supposedly had no depth last year and we did make it to the 2nd week of the semis and unlucky not to go further. That was without Turbo for a large chunk of the year. A lot of our no names are stepping up. Keppie, Parker, Waddell, Boyle, Paseka. Add that to AFB Taupau Siro Chez Suli we still have enough X factor and heart to keep on winning. 3 of our next 6 will be a pass mark. 4 would be unbelievable

I understand what 'experts' are saying. Many of the 'reserve' players we have high hopes for are untested at the top level: Schuster, Ben Turbo, Hoppa Jnr Jnr, Metcalf, Saddler, Tyfuna (who has only had two matches). Who really knows if they are NRL standard? We all think they are/will be ready, but the 'experts' don't follow our rookies as closely as we do.
We are not Easts who have internationals in their reserves. Souffs also have great depth. Not sure how they get them all under their salary cap. And I just read Souffs have made a $1.2-m per year offer to Brisbane's Fifita, not to mention that they are getting Arrow next season and have reportedly made a mega-sum offer for a 16-year old schoolboy from Kings.

The depth issue is mainly around our forwards though. How many times have we started getting rolled when AFB or Marty leaves the field?

If we can keep doing it week in week out, then there's no issue.

The depth issue is mainly around our forwards though. How many times have we started getting rolled when AFB or Marty leaves the field?

If we can keep doing it week in week out, then there's no issue.
I do feel like that is changing, now with Keppie coming off the bench. Boyle too, brings top-level game these days. Remember how good Toff Sipley was going before that bad leg injury Last year, too...

I do feel like that is changing, now with Keppie coming off the bench. Boyle too, brings top-level game these days. Remember how good Toff Sipley was going before that bad leg injury Last year, too...

I hope so too, but to claim that it's resolved and that naysayers can sit on it and spin because of one victory is jumping the gun

Totally forgot about Sipley. Anyone know when he's back ? We need all the big units we can get our hands on.

Our next 4 are Sharks Knights Dragons Eels Cows Panthers
I expect 4 wins, 6 will be unbelievable (but possible!)
We should account for Sharks, Dragons and Cows. The other 3 are 50/50. If we get away with one of these then 4 from 6 would be a great result which I would be stoked with.
I think this weeks game v Sharks has danger game written all over it. The let-down factor after last week's herculean effort could be an issue.

I agree, we do have a lot of promising replacements, however in this Covid year, not many of them have any lower grade experience, and will still not have any for the rest of the season.

Players like Miski have a few games from last year and Funa was in the system as 18 or 19 most of last year, training with first grade.

It is difficult to promote the likes of Schuster, Hoppa, Ben Turbo or Metcalf under these circumstances - they will have to wait until next year.

This is the injury list on thr NRL site:
Manly Sea Eagles
  • Martin Taupau (thumb, round seven)
  • Moses Suli (finger, round 7-9)
  • Albert Hopoate (knee, June)
  • Manase Fainu (stood down/shoulder)
  • Jorge Taufua (quad, round seven)
  • Tom Trbojevic (hamstring, TBC)
  • Dylan Walker (ankle, TBC)
  • Brad Parker (head knock)
There's 7 starters out, hopefully Marty and Jorge are back this week and maybe Parker but even then with 4 starting players out, 2 from the spine even mediocre opposition can find a weakness and exploit it. Like the broncos did targeting Funa and that one was really close. This is going to be a tough stint but the good thing is we are playing some weaker teams and give them a chance to gel.

I actually think the depth conversation is a bit over rated. plenty of talented players have bad games..... and plenty of them lay in reggies, unmotivated, injured, and not putting in a shift sometimes.

We have the greatest depth of all - DES. He gets peak performance out of people. I would rather a 100% performacne from an inexperienced player, than 75% performance (effort) from an international.

We have the bodies, we have the core, and we have Des. Simple.

4 from 6 for me.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10