Ex-AFB Wish List

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yeah that’s what I reckon. Wollongong is out of Syd. Griffin clearly wants a big name prop as well. I’d love to see us try get grant somehow but I doubt that will happen. Nobody decent on the market really so it will be swap/trade tine. Afb for grant and a stick of bubblegum. I’d use any money we save toward a backrower.
Grant is Storms long term hooking option, B Smith hasn't made an impression at Hooker and has played his best footy at Lock. Bellamy doesn't rate B Smith at hooker. Brand on is on the market, grant isn't... go for the (somewhat) realistic option and get Smith here.

You mean this bit?
"as long as the Sea Eagles receive fair and reasonable compensation".
I would assume this means getting out of contract which won't affect the salary cap for future seasons... most clubs would be willing to pay AFBs full contract. The warriors aren't going to stuff up the opportunity to sign the best prop in the comp.

Well you assume that.
I assume it means, 'we have a top player under contract, we'll release him if you offer us a decent player you've got under contract'.
All dependent on which club, and whether the players are happy to go etc.
It is the reason Storm have not signed off yet on JAC leaving, they want a player in return, and fair enough.

Well you assume that.
I assume it means, 'we have a top player under contract, we'll release him if you offer us a decent player you've got under contract'.
All dependent on which club, and whether the players are happy to go etc.
It is the reason Storm have not signed off yet on JAC leaving, they want a player in return, and fair enough.
Lets hope its to Melbourne or the Broncos then as Kotoni or Brandon Smith are about the only good players on the market that want to leave there clubs.
Warriors would be good as they probably still wouldn't be a huge threat (still a threat) but they don't really have anyone that has had news about them wanting to leave to give us in return. Would they give us Jazz Tevaga? He is a gun. Tevaga / Hiku or one of their gun wingers would be great, AFB / Walker go their way.

Last edited:
I think Brandon Smith as well, and I like Baily Siro. We cannot replace AFB for like for like, he is the best in the game, but at least we have some pretty good stocks in the prop department. I think we have lacked energy and spark around the ruck and need more from our back rowers. Penrith have showed the importance of running hard and fast and doing everything at speed.

I like Baily because he is off contract, Souths have some good back rowers already and have Jai Arrow coming next year plus his brother plays for us. I have watched him this year and he is becoming a dam good player. Good footwork, mobile, quick play the balls - similar to choc type player.

I also like Brandon because hopefully we dont really need a long term 80 min hooker if Faniu gets off, but we do need one for most of next year and I would also think even if faniu returns - it will be off the bench for a while. So you have brandon who can play hooker and transition into back row/lock if faniu comes on to play hooker. Brandon will give you that hard running and energy we have missed and is very well regarded by his team mates - very professional player. AFB massive loss, but if we can snare these two really does fix some weaker spots we currently have

Grant is Storms long term hooking option, B Smith hasn't made an impression at Hooker and has played his best footy at Lock. Bellamy doesn't rate B Smith at hooker. Brand on is on the market, grant isn't... go for the (somewhat) realistic option and get Smith here.
I’d take smith as an option as well. I like the option of him in 13 if snoop dog beats the rap and comes back.

This may all be a blessing in disguise. The money so many on this forum have argued we should use by selling off some of our stars, will now be available. Hopefully this could mean upgrading Schuster, Funa, resigning Hopoate, extending Sironen, Paseka, Olakau'atu and having some in reserve for Fainu if he gets through his troubles. Then there's some of the young players coming through including young Fainu. Yep, a blessing is disguise. Just gives us a little more room to manoeuvre

Reports AFB is on ~600k per season for next 2 years currently, so that is the start I guess. It's not going to get us a huge windfall comparatively to what I thought.

Personally, I rate these options:
  • James Tamou - position/experience rep for Thommo, fits culturally, should be a steal and won't hog a roster spot for more than a couple of yeasr
  • Cameron McInnes - all heart, transferable to 13 if Fainu is cleared (big if), and now not so loyal to SGI with Mary's sacking even though he is/was captain
  • Bailey Sironen - had a great year at the bunnies, not sure if they extended him but last I checked he was hunting a new contract
Also, we should secure a contract with Albert Hopoate ASAP - kid shows he is instinctive with the improvements so far, but comes with baggage (his old man...). He is one of the promising youngsters we don't have locked up yet.

Reports AFB is on ~600k per season for next 2 years currently, so that is the start I guess. It's not going to get us a huge windfall comparatively to what I thought.

• James Tamou - position/experience rep for Thommo, fits culturally, should be a steal and won't hog a roster spot for more than a couple of yeasr
  • Cameron McInnes - all heart, transferable to 13 if Fainu is cleared (big if), and now not so loyal to SGI with Mary's sacking even though he is/was captain
  • Bailey Sironen - had a great year at the bunnies, not sure if they extended him but last I checked he was hunting a new contract
Also, we should secure a contract with Albert Hopoate ASAP - kid shows he is instinctive with the improvements so far, but comes with baggage (his old man...). He is one of the promising youngsters we don't have locked up yet.
Tamou just signed with tigers.. isnt Mcinnes captain at the dragons?

tigers have Tamou locked up for a few seasons so you can cross him off your list.

Lets hope its to Melbourne or the Broncos then as Kotoni or Brandon Smith are about the only good players on the market that want to leave there clubs.

Both great players for sure.

Risk that concerns me with Brandon Smith wanting the hooking role full-time. Would work out well if Fainu missed all of 2021 and we got Smith on a 1-year - but realistically he may be looking at bigger money and a longer-term contract than we are willing to throw at him. If Bellamy doesn't rate BSmith as long-term hooker then I wouldn't want him presenting a risk of retaining Fainu longer-term - Fainu showed last year he is the hooker we need and would have excelled with the rule changes this year imo. And Brodie Croft shows what can happen to players Bellamy doesn't rate.

Kotoni has a lot of upside, but are we better off developing who we have? If we move Walker on then no argument - but I don't necessarily think moving Walker on is needed, he has had a bad run of luck this year but thought he was growing into a fine backline utility who can fit 5/8th or (ideally) centre.

Tiger with Tamou and the Fox and no Benji.

They are on the improve.

As are the Titans, are we in danger of being left behind????

Tamou is way past his best, and signed for the Tigers already.

McInnes is captain and bleeds for the club, no chance he leaves St George.

Bayley would be a good shout. Although I prefer Magoulias I would take him or both as they are not expensive

Brandon Smith would be out best signing. Let Walker go and bring Staggs in. AFB --> Storm, Smith
Both great players for sure.

Risk that concerns me with Brandon Smith wanting the hooking role full-time. Would work out well if Fainu missed all of 2021 and we got Smith on a 1-year - but realistically he may be looking at bigger money and a longer-term contract than we are willing to throw at him. If Bellamy doesn't rate BSmith as long-term hooker then I wouldn't want him presenting a risk of retaining Fainu longer-term - Fainu showed last year he is the hooker we need and would have excelled with the rule changes this year imo. And Brodie Croft shows what can happen to players Bellamy doesn't rate.

Kotoni has a lot of upside, but are we better off developing who we have? If we move Walker on then no argument - but I don't necessarily think moving Walker on is needed, he has had a bad run of luck this year but thought he was growing into a fine backline utility who can fit 5/8th or (ideally) centre.
completely agree mate. Someone raised the point about if Fainu comes back he will be off the bench for some time. He could be in a rotation with Smith 2022. Point being is if we attract smith we have a net positive situation in the short term and there isnt much quality on the market regarding hookers and ability to play different positions than Smith.

Agree on Walker too. Just seemed like he had a bond with Barrett and lots of noise looks like it could happen. I’m a big Walker fan despite my suggestions of him going and Staggs leaving, just he’s had a bad run and Staggs is on track to become the best centre in the comp.

Tamou is way past his best, and signed for the Tigers already.

McInnes is captain and bleeds for the club, no chance he leaves St George.

Bayley would be a good shout. Although I prefer Magoulias I would take him or both as they are not expensive

Brandon Smith would be out best signing. Let Walker go and bring Staggs in. AFB --> Storm, Smith

completely agree mate. Someone raised the point about if Fainu comes back he will be off the bench for some time. He could be in a rotation with Smith 2022. Point being is if we attract smith we have a net positive situation in the short term and there isnt much quality on the market regarding hookers and ability to play different positions than Smith.

Agree on Walker too. Just seemed like he had a bond with Barrett and lots of noise looks like it could happen. I’m a big Walker fan despite my suggestions of him going and Staggs leaving, just he’s had a bad run and Staggs is on track to become the best centre in the comp.
The only way we should even think about walker leaving is if we have either Lomax or Staggs lined up... i dont want brad parker starting ever again unless injury demands it. Id ditch suli he's hopeless what has he ever done? Walker is a great center just needs good service.

The only way we should even think about walker leaving is if we have either Lomax or Staggs lined up... i dont want brad parker starting ever again unless injury demands it. Id ditch suli he's hopeless what has he ever done? Walker is a great center just needs good service.
Suli was one of the form centres of the comp last year. Has been average this year but he almost retired Dane Gaigai in that semi final... some memories are short re Suli around here

We just resigned him, got to stick with him. He doesnt' have any off field issues as much anymore it seems. Although I'd be happy to try convert hi mto the wing with staggs and funa/harper the centres. He has the size and running game to start sets.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2