Evil Gladys torpedoes Todds plan to save suburban grounds

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Captain Moondog

Absolute Superstar
A secret bid to dump the redevelopment of ANZ stadium and build three suburban mini-stadiums instead has been torpedoed by NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian.
The Sunday Telegraph can reveal a plan was put to a high-ranking government minister three weeks ago to deliver stunning state of the art venues for the Manly Sea Eagles, St George-Illawarra, the Cronulla Sharks, the Penrith Panthers and Wests Tigers.
Under the $750 million proposal that would have left ANZ Stadium untouched:
● The dilapidated Brookvale Oval on Sydney’s northern beaches was to be bulldozed and rebuilt in the first stage of the project next year.
● The Dragons and Sharks were to share a new stadium in Sydney’s south at either Kogarah or Woolooware.

● The Panthers were to get a new venue on their existing site in the home electorate of ‘stadium’ minister Stuart Ayres.
● Money would also have gone to Leichhardt Oval for a major upgrade.
Brookvale Oval on Sydney’s northern beaches would have been bulldozed and rebuilt. Picture: Matt King
Brookvale Oval on Sydney’s northern beaches would have been bulldozed and rebuilt. Picture: Matt King
Each of the stadiums would have cost $250 million with a crowd capacity of 25,000 and included corporate facilities to match the best in the country.
The mini boutique stadiums were to be shared with other sports including rugby union and A League franchises and house modern sports medicine facilities and high performance academies.

Importantly it would have given struggling NRL clubs the opportunity to compete with the likes of the Brisbane Broncos, who play out of Suncorp Stadium and the Cowboys are to play in a new stadium in Townsville next year.
Despite some support within cabinet, the proposal was abandoned by the Premier, who instead negotiated the $15 million deal to keep the next two grand finals in Sydney at

Incoming independent commission chairman Peter V’landys, NRL CEO Todd Greenberg, outgoing chairman Peter Beattie, Mr Ayres and influential commentator Phil Gould were all either involved in high powered meetings with government officials or aware of the moves.
Greenberg confirmed the discussions at the highest levels had taken place.
“There were a variety of views and opinions within the government about ANZ Stadium and how that money should be spent,” he said.
“Peter V’landys and I are absolutely aligned on the fact suburban grounds need money — it’s an absolute priority. This isn’t just about the NRL, it’s for all levels of the game and

“These suburban grounds unite communities and that’s a great outcome for everyone.
“We will always campaign for money for our suburban venues. You can expect Peter and I to be advocating strongly for our suburban grounds because we want the best facilities right across the city for our fans.”
The backflip on Homebush had the support of TV networks Fox Sports and Channel Nine who pour $2 billion into the game but often have to broadcast matches with a backdrop of tens of thousands of empty seats.
Todd Greenberg taking a selfie with wife Lisa and NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian and her sisters Mary and Rita. Picture David Hossack
Todd Greenberg taking a selfie with wife Lisa and NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian and her sisters Mary and Rita. Picture David Hossack
ANZ Stadium was to be kept for Origin and the finals in its current condition until more government funding became available in the future.
It is understood on grand final night two weeks ago the Premier was seen to be involved in a tense conversation with V’landys about the government’s stadium commitments.
Asked about conversation, V’landys sarcastically said: “We were chatting about The Block on Channel Nine and disagreeing on who we thought would win.”
The plan had the support of key government figures in cabinet but the premier insisted ANZ Stadium had to be upgraded as the city’s home for major events including grand finals, Origins and blockbuster shows.
ANZ Stadium at Olympic Park, Homebush.
Unlike the AFL in Melbourne, NRL fans have been reluctant to travel to the bigger stadiums. Crowds in the NRL have declined slightly this year.
Work is soon to begin on the new $750 million Allianz Stadium in Moore Park that will be completed in 2022 with a capacity of 43,000.
The embarrassment for the government is that its major tenants the Sydney Roosters, the Waratahs and Sydney FC average crowds of only 15,000.
A plan to erect an electric curtain to cut off 15,000 seats for club games has been abandoned because of costs. ANZ Stadium will be a rectangular venue for 70,000 fans and be opened in 2023.

Umm wasn't Greenturd the original architect of the moronic big stadium policy that caused this idiocy in the first place. Now his new boss V'Landys has told him what a fuking moronic idea it was and now he's all over this. What an incompetent clown show. Of course the Berjekliinkluing govt wont change now. They've already setup their construction mates for the rebuild.

It’s so obvious what’s needed , but I think it’s ultimately about what the broadcasters who own the game want.

Eventually ( they’ll make it a prerequisite for clubs to retain their licence ) all games will be at these two grounds and then Fox and NEIN can set up the cameras permanently ( which saves them gazillions).

Then you’ll see a couple of “ heritage”games at the old grounds to keep the punters appeased.

Won’t happen in the next few years but watch this requirement coming in if not for the next broadcast deal the one after.

Fox and NEIN will simply put this on as a condition of their sponsorship.

Brace yourselves , it’s coming!!

Umm wasn't Greenturd the original architect of the moronic big stadium policy that caused this idiocy in the first place. Now his new boss V'Landys has told him what a fuking moronic idea it was and now he's all over this. What an incompetent clown show. Of course the Berjekliinkluing govt wont change now. They've already setup their construction mates for the rebuild.
Exactly Mick, I nearly fell over reading it. Bigger backflip from Greenturd than TFH and DCE put together. Great to see V'Landys all over it, he gets it.

Lip service BS.
If a real plan and forward thinking were used, ANZ would have been redeveloped as an 80k mega football of all codes.
Alliance would stay as is while ANZ was being rebuilt so GF would be played there.
Brookvale, Shark Park and Penrith would be built as boutique 20-25k stadiums.
Alliance stadium given a facelift.

Lip service BS.
If a real plan and forward thinking were used, ANZ would have been redeveloped as an 80k mega football of all codes.
Alliance would stay as is while ANZ was being rebuilt so GF would be played there.
Brookvale, Shark Park and Penrith would be built as boutique 20-25k stadiums.
Alliance stadium given a facelift.

I think there might have been structural issues with the old SFS that precluded a facelift.

Pity as really that’s all that was needed.

• 👍
Reactions: R3
I think there might have been structural issues with the old SFS that precluded a facelift.

I call those claims BS as well :) never any mention of structural issues except when they wanted a new one. The rebuild is not even going to be at Wankfest quality - why bother

The biggest mistake they ever made with the SFS was its capacity. Originally it sat at 40,000 when in reality it should have been no smaller than 60,000. Sydney is Australia's largest city and how they settled on such a low spectator capacity is a mystery.....my guess is money played a very VERY big part.

But even as an outsider (i.e. not from Sydney) I can't believe they are building a new stadium there with the same capacity for use by three different sports who other than for top representative games or Finals struggled to fill 1/3 of the old venue. It just doesn't make any sense other than there is obviously vested interest from SCG Trust members.

Lets face it, even with all of the govt money in place an anti Brookvale Stadium protest group would have quickly risen and the new stadium would never be built anyway.

Did the NRL get the other codes on board in this bid? They should have if they wanted to succeed. Waratahs at Brookie Stadium.

Bad move Glad! You have compounded the monumentally poor decision to pull down Allianz for a $700-M similar stadium with this one, which is the sensible solution to Sydney's spectator needs. You could have cut your losses by redeveloping three suburban grounds for the cost of the Allianz rebuild.
It's a lucky thing for you that the NSW Labor Party is even more incompetent than your mob or else you would be out of a job.

She has lost the plot completely.

SFS and Parra should have never been rebuilt, refurbished at massive savings would have been smarter.
Olympic Stadium is the same, upgrade with a roof would have saved a lot of money.

Rebuild a few local grounds, Penrith could get away with an upgrade as its not too bad of a ground.

All this money rebuilding perfectly good grounds, building new train lines that follow the existing line instead of new lines to new housing developments or to the northern beaches, building toll roads to be run at a massive profit for private companies.

It’s so obvious what’s needed , but I think it’s ultimately about what the broadcasters who own the game want.

Eventually ( they’ll make it a prerequisite for clubs to retain their licence ) all games will be at these two grounds and then Fox and NEIN can set up the cameras permanently ( which saves them gazillions).

Then you’ll see a couple of “ heritage”games at the old grounds to keep the punters appeased.

Won’t happen in the next few years but watch this requirement coming in if not for the next broadcast deal the one after.

Fox and NEIN will simply put this on as a condition of their sponsorship.

Brace yourselves , it’s coming!!
09938821-92d0-4498-ae25-4176f715c1d3-original.jpg

Guess that even a staggered redevelopment and ground improvements at Brookie is better then previous very limited improvements or progress . . The seating capacity with any proposed upgrades would not be projected at much more then 20 thousand or so in any case on most indications so it is not as if a huge upgrade exercise would be necessary . . Hopefully less of a political football issue in the near future and instead some real and tangible improvements an actual reality .

She has lost the plot completely.

SFS and Parra should have never been rebuilt, refurbished at massive savings would have been smarter.

What they should have done with Parramatta Stadium was get rid of the open seats at the ends and replaced them with roofed stands, then refurbished the existing stands to incorporate new media and corporate facilities (and a new Des proof away team change room door @:p). Capacity could have still been around 25-30k and it could easily have been done at about a third of the cost of building Wankbest.

The SFS.....too many influential SCG Trust members have vested interests in wanting a new stadium built, including I dare say some NSW members of parliament. The words "conflict of interest" definitely comes to mind with this one.

One thing I can't understand for the life of me is why the re-build of ANZ is going to eventually reduce capacity from its current 83,500 to around 70-75k. Why would they make it smaller for crying out loud? I can understand turning it into a rectangle venue with the AFL and cricket no longer being played there, but surely they could do it while keeping the capacity at around 80,000 or more.

You'll never see the Victorian government and MCC tearing down the MCG as it currently is and re-building it with a reduced capacity.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4