Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Evil Gladys torpedoes Todds plan to save suburban grounds

HoldenV8

She has lost the plot completely.

SFS and Parra should have never been rebuilt, refurbished at massive savings would have been smarter.
What they should have done with Parramatta Stadium was get rid of the open seats at the ends and replaced them with roofed stands, then refurbished the existing stands to incorporate new media and corporate facilities (and a new Des proof away team change room door @:p). Capacity could have still been around 25-30k and it could easily have been done at about a third of the cost of building Wankbest.

The SFS.....too many influential SCG Trust members have vested interests in wanting a new stadium built, including I dare say some NSW members of parliament. The words "conflict of interest" definitely comes to mind with this one.

One thing I can't understand for the life of me is why the re-build of ANZ is going to eventually reduce capacity from its current 83,500 to around 70-75k. Why would they make it smaller for crying out loud? I can understand turning it into a rectangle venue with the AFL and cricket no longer being played there, but surely they could do it while keeping the capacity at around 80,000 or more.

You'll never see the Victorian government and MCC tearing down the MCG as it currently is and re-building it with a reduced capacity.

Last edited:

The better Robbo

So we are still getting our centre of excellence and north stadium??? This article reads that we were in line for a whole brand new stadium, first i ever heard of that! Am I not reading this right? Surely we still get the centre of excellence and north stadium

The Who

Premium Member
What they should have done with Parramatta Stadium was get rid of the open seats at the ends and replaced them with roofed stands, then refurbished the existing stands to incorporate new media and corporate facilities (and a new Des proof away team change room door @:p). Capacity could have still been around 25-30k and it could easily have been done at about a third of the cost of building Wankbest.

The SFS.....too many influential SCG Trust members have vested interests in wanting a new stadium built, including I dare say some NSW members of parliament. The words "conflict of interest" definitely comes to mind with this one.

One thing I can't understand for the life of me is why the re-build of ANZ is going to eventually reduce capacity from its current 83,500 to around 70-75k. Why would they make it smaller for crying out loud? I can understand turning it into a rectangle venue with the AFL and cricket no longer being played there, but surely they could do it while keeping the capacity at around 80,000 or more.

You'll never see the Victorian government and MCC tearing down the MCG as it currently is and re-building it with a reduced capacity.
The MCG is perfect for AFL and cricket - not sports such as RL and soccer.

Briza

Maroon and White - Born and Bred
When Brookie is mentioned it sounds past tense as if it's been cancelled, what's the go or am i missing something.
Sounds too good to be true unfortunately.

wombatgc

Sausage roll eating keyboard warrior.
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
The Allianz is at a stand still. No mob will pick up the re-build contract as it was underfunded from the get-go. Expect the 750 mil to blow out to way over a billion by the time it’s finished (2025?)

Mark from Brisbane

Living the dream
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
The Allianz is at a stand still. No mob will pick up the re-build contract as it was underfunded from the get-go. Expect the 750 mil to blow out to way over a billion by the time it’s finished (2025?)
What a complete waste of money , better just to leave it as it is and spend the money improving three suburban grounds.

nightster

Well worn member
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
It’s so obvious what’s needed , but I think it’s ultimately about what the broadcasters who own the game want.

Eventually ( they’ll make it a prerequisite for clubs to retain their licence ) all games will be at these two grounds and then Fox and NEIN can set up the cameras permanently ( which saves them gazillions).

Then you’ll see a couple of “ heritage”games at the old grounds to keep the punters appeased.

Won’t happen in the next few years but watch this requirement coming in if not for the next broadcast deal the one after.

Fox and NEIN will simply put this on as a condition of their sponsorship.

Brace yourselves , it’s coming!!
and I will be leaving ....

MissKate

Premium Member
Why Penrith again.They have had 2 upgrades in the last 15 years, how many more do they want. There is nothing wrong with their ground now, plus they already have their centre of excellence
Because I am pretty sure stupid ayres electorate is out that way

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Its insane that you would upgrade a perfectly good 20 year old stadium at the expense of being able to build 3 or 4 new ones and spread the love amongst those who pay for them.

The redevelopment of Suncorp Stadium (Lang Park) is only 4 years different in age. Could you imagine if the QLD government said it needs a billion dollar revamp. It would reek of coruption.

HoldenV8

The MCG is perfect for AFL and cricket - not sports such as RL and soccer.
The MCG, Docklands (which does have movable lower tier seating to create something of a rectangle), Adelaide Oval and Optus Stadium.....are a legacy of SA, WA and Victoria being Aussie rules and cricket dominated. The main stadiums surround large oval fields that are unsuitable for rectangle sports like league, union and soccer. But because their respective capacities is far larger than any rectangle stadiums in Melbourne (100,024 and 56,347 vs 30,050), Adelaide (55,317 vs 17,000) and Perth (60,000 vs 20,500), they are the ones used for one off games like Origin's where they want a larger crowd regardless of the venues suitability.

NSW, Qld and the ACT are the only places in Australia where the larger rectangle venues used for the three sports are actually bigger in spectator capacity than the oval venues used for cricket and Aussie rules.

master blaster

Premium Member
Well, I guess they can look on the bright side. They can build units there then, hey they are the next big thing at the moment... :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

eggson

Find out soon, tendering is still open between a couple of companies with a decision in November. Work starts dec I think as the winner obviously be under the pump

wombatgc

Sausage roll eating keyboard warrior.
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
Because I am pretty sure stupid ayres electorate is out that way
Don’t forget Gus was in on the ‘think tank’. He and Ivan might not get on. But he is still considered a Demi-god out that way.

Technical Coach

It’s so obvious what’s needed , but I think it’s ultimately about what the broadcasters who own the game want.

Eventually ( they’ll make it a prerequisite for clubs to retain their licence ) all games will be at these two grounds and then Fox and NEIN can set up the cameras permanently ( which saves them gazillions).

Then you’ll see a couple of “ heritage”games at the old grounds to keep the punters appeased.

Won’t happen in the next few years but watch this requirement coming in if not for the next broadcast deal the one after.

Fox and NEIN will simply put this on as a condition of their sponsorship.

Brace yourselves , it’s coming!!
I think the push to funnel funds to suburban grounds is not some made up story given the amount of times Fox presenters have really been pushing the "great atmosphere at suburban grounds" and "we are expecting record viewership for this suburban ground clash" over the past year or so.

It's win win(in some respects) in a way, clubs get better corporate facilities(where the money is), smaller packed stadiums creating a better atmosphere and it looks better on TV which will improve the ratings leading to hopefully pay tv and free to air earning more.

A similar transition happened in the English Premier League from 1992 onwards(Pay tv bidding war), the push/ requirement for all seater stadiums to look better on TV and also for safety especially after the Hillsborough Disaster. From that point on the English Premier League boomed and overtook the stagnant Italian League (Serie A).

Maybe Fox and Free to Air TV have come to their senses and realised it is in their financial interest to push for suburban grounds.

Mark from Brisbane

Living the dream
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
I think the push to funnel funds to suburban grounds is not some made up story given the amount of times Fox presenters have really been pushing the "great atmosphere at suburban grounds" and "we are expecting record viewership for this suburban ground clash" over the past year or so.

It's win win(in some respects) in a way, clubs get better corporate facilities(where the money is), smaller packed stadiums creating a better atmosphere and it looks better on TV which will improve the ratings leading to hopefully pay tv and free to air earning more.

A similar transition happened in the English Premier League from 1992 onwards(Pay tv bidding war), the push/ requirement for all seater stadiums to look better on TV and also for safety especially after the Hillsborough Disaster. From that point on the English Premier League boomed and overtook the stagnant Italian League (Serie A).

Maybe Fox and Free to Air TV have come to their senses and realised it is in their financial interest to push for suburban grounds.
I certainly hope so, now to convince that bald headed twat who in turn can lobby the government.

Staff online

Latest posts

Top Bottom