Enjoy the new site

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He will be fine. Checkup in one month then we know if it's surgery or not.

The dutch medical system/intervention works like those

adult: paracetomal for anything a and everything.

Child sneezed: pull out the doctor clown car and medivac immediately

Hi Dan. Hope your little guy is well.
My ad problem seems to be solved. When I updated adobe I think It gave me a Shop Easy extension that advertises everything, everywhere. Really annoying.
Found it. Deleted it. No more ads.
Much better Silvertailsing and internet in general.:D

ok, close to a week in, find the new site clunky/poorly sized and a step backward.

Struggle to see enough of the right info in the screen compared to the old site.

Usernames appear on 2 lines for example

ok, close to a week in, find the new site clunky/poorly sized and a step backward.

Struggle to see enough of the right info in the screen compared to the old site.

What browser/device are you viewing on?

@Fluffy I cant reproduce the username over two lines on any of my devices. Are you using internet explorer?

All other sizing should be fine and within standards

The first few days on new site it was very fast, but after that it was very slow.

I've since found I can navigate much faster if I go to the very top of the page (Home Forums Members) and select the tiny arrow that appears if I hover the mouse immediately to the right of 'Forums' and then select New Posts (last option of the drop-down menu). That is fast and shows a list of unread posts in all threads/forums.

Otherwise there seems no way to just go to 'next thread', apart from scrolling back to top of the thread I'm viewing, selecting the Forum, and waiting ages for the Forum contents page to load, then selecting the next thread I want to view.

The old 'next thread' option we used to have at the bottom of each thread was pretty good in hindsight. Now the 'go to first unread' option at the bottom of each forum page simply takes me straight back to the top of the page I have already read.

Might just take me a while to get the hang of the new format. Is there a tutorial about the features/options of the new site?

@Fluffy really want to find out what device, version etc you are on because the username absolutely shouldn't wrap to two lines unless there is some form of CSS or javascript blocking

@SeaEagleRock8 there isn't really a user manual that I have seen, but the forum software we use is at xenforo.com you could search there

As for the previous and next thread I am going to install something for that now.

Interesting that the site is slow for you it certainly is not for me. Again clear your caches and try again

At work it is IE, at home chrome.

Both are slow/clunky

Also hence my late responce the "alert" seems to have dissappeared.

I suspect IE is the culprit of the going over 2 lines. I will get access to a machine with windows on it so I can use IE for testing this week.

As for slow I find that very interesting. The server is Perth and very fast for me with the site, so should be equally fast for you.

I will cycle the server now and see if that speeds things up for you

@Fluffy the debug info for this page shows

The following for me
Timing:
0.1312 seconds
Memory:
6.101 MB
DB Queries:

That is pretty fast though admittedly I could get speeds on some pages of 0.08 on the old site.

My assumption here is that there are old caches where you are hitting old URLs and it has to go through the transition of Old URL -> Redirect -> new URL which adds around a second.

I am using chrome on a macbook air but also tried safari and firefox and its all the same speeds for me. I will turn on Google PageSpeed which should put some heavier caching on for you.

Not sure what you mean by "Clunky" though thats a fairly subjective sort of thing. Design wise this aligns with very current design methodologies. With that said I am willing to offer a secondary design for the site also that allows you to choose which fits you best.

I will say replies are currently slow after the reboot until mysql caches connections a little better

Last edited:
@Fluffy looks like you are using IE8 or IE9 at work. These are notoriously terrible at rendering css content correctly, IE 10 and 11 made major fixes so things display correctly in those browsers.

I have added a change which will make IE8 and IE9 display slightly better but still not how it should look.

What issues are you facing when using chrome so I can look at them?
I am also looking at adding two new options

1 - A mobile specific theme that automatically comes in when loading up the page
2 - Another "Classic" forum style theme which is more like older themes, you will then be able to choose which theme you see on Silvertails.

I will only add option two if we absolutely have to as it adds more maintenance for me but I want to offer the best possible experience

Thanks Dan. If I go to New Posts it only takes a couple of secs, same with the new next/previous thread, but if I go to Forums to try to see the list of Forums the page is visible straight away but takes up to 11 seconds before it finishes loading, ie before I can scroll/do anything with it. Same when I select a Forum, eg Rugby League Forum. Weird.
However I'm just learning to navigate in a slightly different way to how I used to, & it works fine :)

Thanks Dan. If I go to New Posts it only takes a couple of secs, same with the new next/previous thread, but if I go to Forums to try to see the list of Forums the page is visible straight away but takes up to 11 seconds before it finishes loading, ie before I can scroll/do anything with it. Same when I select a Forum, eg Rugby League Forum. Weird.
However I'm just learning to navigate in a slightly different way to how I used to, & it works fine :)

what browser, os and browser version are you using?

It's actually working fine, my main beef with the forum is people suggesting we let Foz go and replace him with Jeff Robson :eek:

True we always feel a bit sheepish when someone asks.
I tried Chrome and, well, I don't know what a browser is but I know what I like :)
I've used Firefox too. But always open to suggestions from IT gurus...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8