egg on face signings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
To change the topic of injuries, 2011 and beaver

Have you ever watched a club sign a player for good money and think. They are kidding themselves, why would you pay that for them only to watch them play out of there skins and go - whoa

2 players i think Ive done that for sure is

1 Nate Myles from the doge. Just couldn't see him being anything but average at best, doesn't even look like an athlete. But he has had at least 2 stellar seasons and is a really good footy player

2 Matt sing, always had a reputation as a player that could save a try, but when Nth qld signed him , they were hopeless and i remember saying to the outlaws, the cowboys need a half back, 6 forwards, a heart and a captain and your only signing is a bloody winger. The next season he scored 3 tries in a semi against the doggies which started there golden run

My confessions

Duff link said:
BK to Manly.

He was shot when he left Newy. Or so I thought.

100% agree with this. I was one of the biggest critics of BK's signing. Then he came and took the field, and suddenly I was more than happy to admit how wrong I was.

One of the best signings we have ever had

jbb/james link said:
1 Nate Myles from the doge. Just couldn't see him being anything but average at best, doesn't even look like an athlete. But he has had at least 2 stellar seasons and is a really good footy player

I think a couple of the Roosters Under 20s guys obviously thought Nate Myles is the sort of guy you should aspire to be like.  ;D

Amos Roberts is one, after his super year at Penrith the Roosters picked him up on big coin and I thought it would be a dud signing. But he actually did some good things there and earned his pay cheque every week...

Not really a "signing" but when I first saw Glen Stewart I really didn't think he would amount to anything, but an off season of weights and some pure skill soon put paid to those thoughts. Ben Kennedy is another obvious one, didn't realise how much effort that guy put in until he played for Manly, absolute champion.

Jamie Soward. Roosters couldn't care less about the bloke and dragons must have got him on the cheap being an every other week player.

I rate him up there in the best few halves in the game.

I remember watching Geoff Toovey run out onto brookie oval, from memory it was a warm up match for the touring English test team.
He looked like a choirboy and I thought this kid is to small to make the grade, many years later I was reading an article about Gorden Tallis and they asked him who was the toughest bloke he had ever played against...without doubt Geoff Toovey.
Imagine Willie Mason or Tony Williams with Toovey's ticker!

michael robertson from canberra to manly, has not missed a game, when we bought him i had not even heard of him, got his run, and has not stopped since, playing winger, fullback, 3 tries in a grandfinal !

manlyborn link said:
I remember watching Geoff Toovey run out onto brookie oval, from memory it was a warm up match for the touring English test team.
He looked like a choirboy and I thought this kid is to small to make the grade, many years later I was reading an article about Gorden Tallis and they asked him who was the toughest bloke he had ever played against...without doubt Geoff Toovey.
Imagine Willie Mason or Tony Williams with Toovey's ticker!
I was there that night. It was Tooves first start. We had rested almost our whole top squad because of a big game coming up and the Poms were almost full strength. We beat them 30-0. I think Tooves might even have been MOTM. My lingering memory is Matin Offiah crabbing across field all game.

Duff link said:
BK to Manly.

He was shot when he left Newy. Or so I thought.

I blew up big time and thought we had ourselves another Adam Muir.

I was also slightly wrong.

BK is now ranked with Randall, Fulton and Eadie as a favourite all time player of mine.

One came into mind while watching today.

Early on in the year we were linked to toopi. I don't rate him and thought he would be an awful signing. Well, I was wrong

To his credit he has taken his chance at the titans and his experience in the centers today would have been great for us

Beaver 2011!!

Whoever signs him will have a winner. After what I have watched today, how would this side look to everyone:

1. Snake
2. Robbo
3. Jamie
4. Shoulders
5. Wolfie
6. Foran
7. DCE
8. Kite
9. Ballin
10. King
11. Choc
12. Rodney
13. Glenn
14. Rose
15. Cross/Joe G
16. Beaver
17. Buhrer

Backup - Hoppa, Lussick, Bailey, Oldfield, the dude from the dishlickers yada yada

That side excites me!!!!

I have to add Neil Tierney to that list - my mate who played at the Dragons with him said he will be a good buy - my words were exactly we need a good prop for reserve grade. I was wrong big time.  

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6