Post-Game Discussion Eels v Manly [Round 3, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Eels
Vs
Sea Eagles
28 CommBank Stadium
24 Mar 2024 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

I’ve woken up still with the sh*ts with the way the game was officiated. I actually can’t believe how many times they’ve should’ve been penalised or 6 agains where never given to us. Meanwhile once we wrestled the game/momentum back, they would get a huge relieving penalty for offside, which clearly wasn’t.
There was clear favouritism in the way officials conducted the game.
Absolute bullsh*t !

While I agree it was a dud call (why does it always seem to be Jake stopping short in the line though?) we have got to be better than this. We were 14-0 up and should have put the game to bed. **** the referee, **** the bunker and **** Parramatta, we shouldn't have let any of them have any influence on the result, and for me that is the biggest learning. We have to be better at closing out games.

One thing I noticed early in the game today, is that Parramatta had very obviously practiced set-plays based around their halves lobbing a long ball straight out to the winger, after drawing the Manly centre and winger out, to make them rush in

The first couple times Parramatta unsuccessfully tried the cut out ball from the half straight to the winger, when the Manly edges rushed in, it seemed like they were expecting it

When they returned to it, more successfully, it became very obvious that this was something they had likely done video on, practiced and prepared for

Was Manlys edge defense pushing up like this consistently (successfully) in the first 2 games? I watched the games, but I didn't pay attention to plays/structure

How Parra exploited the defense trying to close out the winger could be a big problem for Manly going forward, if they don't adjust their edges quickly
Because your edges were great?

We made more line breaks than Parramatta and some through the middle of the field (Brooks). You guys might wanna adjust that too.

All edges hit in and are beaten by long balls when the middle is stretched and Parramatta’s offloads allowed their forwards to push into space against a staggered defensive line and then shift off the next quick play the ball. It’s nice when edges shut down attacking plays but even the best will succumb when the opposition generate ruck speed.

One thing I noticed early in the game today, is that Parramatta had very obviously practiced set-plays based around their halves lobbing a long ball straight out to the winger, after drawing the Manly centre and winger out, to make them rush in

The first couple times Parramatta unsuccessfully tried the cut out ball from the half straight to the winger, when the Manly edges rushed in, it seemed like they were expecting it

When they returned to it, more successfully, it became very obvious that this was something they had likely done video on, practiced and prepared for

Was Manlys edge defense pushing up like this consistently (successfully) in the first 2 games? I watched the games, but I didn't pay attention to plays/structure

How Parra exploited the defense trying to close out the winger could be a big problem for Manly going forward, if they don't adjust their edges quickly

I wouldn’t get too cocky old mate you beat us by 4 with absolutely everything going your way. You won’t have home town Harry giving you a leg up at brooky in a few weeks time. Moses and Gutherson will be squealing their heads off.

Mate, that edge defence has been a problem with us for years, and yes, it was also a problem in the first two games. Every coach in the NRL knows you can beat Manly on the edges, and if they are half decent at their job, they will aim plenty of traffic down the left side.

I'm not sure if we can ever properly "fix" it because, to some extent, every NRL team is susceptible to the same plays (just like the Eels were yesterday as well), and every attack will naturally play to the left-hand side. But we definitely need to improve it.

When the 6 agains and penalties started to go against Manly, Phil Gould made the comment that "Referees don't like it when one team starts to dominate the game"

The penalties were given at the wrong end of the field and at a time in the game that had an adverse effect on Manly's energy levels.
Manly spent a lot of time coming out of their end of the field.
Considering the bias refereeing, Manly did very well to only 'lose' by 4 points.

Did somebody mention the disallowed try, for obstruction.
Once again the voice of reason, Phil Gould, was genuinely outraged and disgusted by the decision.

On a separate point, people don't like others that are either smarter or better looking than they are.
On matters of Rugby League, Phil Gould is correct 99.9% of the time.

I've been watching Rugby League since the 60's, and I've noticed that referees start to favour one team when their opposition is winning the game and dominating.
Whether it is a conscious decision or not is a question for a team of psychologists.

Go Manly!!!!!!!!!
I knew it would happen at 14-0 up. I don't watch 9 though, but seems should was onto it.

Nah, our wingers were crap. If I see another winger rushing in to stop a center I will scream, or do something worse. Over the last 3 years how many tries do we give up. WTF!

We lost that game because we didn't shut down offloads, we pushed passes, and our defense made stupid play late in the tackle count.

In the passion of the game some of our forward make STUPID decisions.
It is almost like it is what they are coached to do rather than something they just “do”

Mate28-24……at Combank? Disallowed try, all calls going your way, we made more line breaks! Give it up lol….we’ll put 50 on you at Brookvale!

It is almost like it is what they are coached to do rather than something they just “do”
It seems to be a habit that every winger the team has,in the last few years,has done it.I understand the reasoning for it,but most of the time the winger automatically rushes up without assessing the situation.Many times over the years,if they just waited that split second to make a better judgment,the tries could have been stopped.It comes back to the winger and centre having trust in each other

I think we've all gotten it off our chests now.

That'll do with the whingeing boys and girls.

Leave that to the Worms.

Let's move on to next week and the Goons who somehow always manage to give us trouble down there.

I may be a Parra fan, but I was just pointing out something I noticed from a Parra perspective. There was no gloating intended

I actually think Parra played really badly yesterday and the game could have gone either way

I just noticed Parra were using a particular play repeatedly against Manly, that they don't generally use

The Parra halves don't usually float so deep off the line and wing, using the backs to draw the defense

They usually dig into the line a little deeper, to draw defenders to themselves, before the pass option

I know all teams are susceptible in different ways on the edge. And Parramatta has an edge problem all of its own

But the particular problem I saw with Manly edge rushing in on an intentionally deep, set attacking line, instead of using the sideline, is a problem that can be fixed

What I was hoping in my last post, is that an analytical Manly fan could tell me, if this was a usual Manly tactic that Parra identified and exploited?

Or, was it just a defense tactic that Manly adopted to try exploit Parramattas usual style of attack?

I am a very rational and analytical person.

I do not gloat, because I know if you give it, you make yourself a target to eventually receiving it

I'd much rather be friends with fellow football fans. Then poke at them for feeling the same pains and passion I do

We all love the same game

I still think Manly will make the finals this year

I've actually got money on it being a Manly Vs Parra final

I was just trying to offer some of my own insight here, from a Parra perspective. Hoping to receive some insight in return from a Manly perspective

Take it or leave it

But, I come in peace ✌

Maybe even one less unforced error at a critical time could have just swung it Manly "s way , wasn 't that much in it really
That not insignificant stage of the game before and after half time really made the difference momentum wise but had to be pleased how Manly were able to hit back after the adversity and again were not that far off getting there .
Also just took a little bit too long to contain the off loads and being gassed from lack of possession for extended times did adversely affect the attack when it really mattered for sure .
Probably one of the very few times that Haumole was not able to be used better in attack but his defence was well up there .
Speed factor and the addition of Brooks and Garrick in the centres is definitely a plus , and agree if Sabb played , could have made that subtle difference .
Burbo "s game sub par , Shu and Parker may have to be fast tracked all going well .
Unavoidable really with the obstruction call regardless of the unfairness aspect ,
Again just too many unforced errors in general to keep any advantage going and rub of the green certainly not Manly's way as well .
Few things in defence to naturally try and fix but when the attack is on and players not fatigued , gee it looks good .
Tough loss but hopefully will be able to win these sort of contests more often then not ongoing

While I agree it was a dud call (why does it always seem to be Jake stopping short in the line though?) we have got to be better than this. We were 14-0 up and should have put the game to bed. ** the referee, ** the bunker and **** Parramatta, we shouldn't have let any of them have any influence on the result, and for me that is the biggest learning. We have to be better at closing out games.
This. The top teams overcome these obstacles. We need to defend better on the edges AND stop the winger rushing in.

Little plays like stopping the Parra try off the kick - we had enough players around the ball. The try where Turbo came across and hit the ball carrier short of the line. The top defensive fullbacks stop the try there. Maybe harsh but these are within our control.

Maybe even one less unforced error at a critical time could have just swung it Manly "s way , wasn 't that much in it really
That not insignificant stage of the game before and after half time really made the difference momentum wise but had to be pleased how Manly were able to hit back after the adversity and again were not that far off getting there .
Also just took a little bit too long to contain the off loads and being gassed from lack of possession for extended times did adversely affect the attack when it really mattered for sure .
Probably one of the very few times that Haumole was not able to be used better in attack but his defence was well up there .
Speed factor and the addition of Brooks and Garrick in the centres is definitely a plus , and agree if Sabb played , could have made that subtle difference .
Burbo "s game sub par , Shu and Parker may have to be fast tracked all going well .
Unavoidable really with the obstruction call regardless of the unfairness aspect ,
Again just too many unforced errors in general to keep any advantage going and rub of the green certainly not Manly's way as well .
Few things in defence to naturally try and fix but when the attack is on and players not fatigued , gee it looks good .
Tough loss but hopefully will be able to win these sort of contests more often then not ongoing
Yes a relatively poor game by Burbo, hopefully just a small speed bump in his development. Although, not sure why he was left alone to tackle Paulo on his own so close to the line. Jake was slow coming across.

While I agree it was a dud call (why does it always seem to be Jake stopping short in the line though?) we have got to be better than this. We were 14-0 up and should have put the game to bed. ** the referee, the bunker and ** Parramatta, we shouldn't have let any of them have any influence on the result, and for me that is the biggest learning. We have to be better at closing out games.
We were up 14-0 after what, 15 minutes?
We had 90% of the ball in that time.
Anyone knows that it wouldn't stay that way, when possession swung their way so did the scoreboard, three tries each at h/t and possession was pretty even.

The referee always has an influence when possession is 50/50 as one decision can make or break the game.

Yeah, we should've been better in areas, it wasn't about not closing out the game, not after 15 mins.

Yes a relatively poor game by Burbo, hopefully just a small speed bump in his development. Although, not sure why he was left alone to tackle Paulo on his own so close to the line. Jake was slow coming across.
Maybe Luke [ Brooksy who still had a good game ] ] should have just stayed in the line and anticipated the off load from there .
Anyway all subjective i guess , did not really note Jake 's positioning but probably just a little bit buggered as well .
Even massive level work horses can not be everywhere at once

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8