Edgy Eagles to make call on Hasler action

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Adrian Proszenko
April 29, 2012 Read later

TOMORROW looms as D-Day in the protracted saga over Des Hasler's defection to Canterbury, with Manly directors to decide whether to press ahead with legal action against their former coach for breach of contract.

The Sun-Herald has obtained Manly's explosive legal advice regarding Hasler's move from Brookvale to Belmore. An executive summary was prepared by solicitor Tim Unsworth which, along with other supporting documents, has been passed onto a Queen's counsel. In the confidential document, the QC states Manly would have a strong case against Hasler for breach of contract and against the Bulldogs for inducing the breach. Hasler and Todd Greenberg declined to comment on the matter when contacted by The Sun-Herald yesterday.

Such serious claims are potentially damaging to Greenberg in particular. The Bulldogs chief executive has been touted as a potential successor to ARLC boss David Gallop.

Advertisement: Story continues below

In a further twist, The Sun-Herald can reveal Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn met Canterbury counterpart Ray Dib to discuss the matter on Wednesday. A source said Manly would be less inclined to begin legal proceedings if the Bulldogs withdrew their interest in off-contract star Kieran Foran. The Kiwi playmaker subsequently agreed to terms with the premiers. The saga officially ended last night when Manly announced a deal that will keep Foran at the club until the end of 2015.

However, some powerbrokers are keen to pursue Canterbury for damages regardless of the outcome on Foran. ''This isn't over; there is clear evidence they have acted unlawfully,'' an insider said.

Last week, The Sun-Herald revealed Manly were considering asking the ARLC to not register Foran's contract should he sign with the Bulldogs, believing Hasler's unlawful departure rendered the pivot's escape clause null and void.

Since news broke that Hasler had signed with Canterbury, Greenberg has publicly stated discussions only centred around the coach arriving for the 2013 season. However, a source said there was evidence Greenberg had raised the prospect of defecting immediately.

Last November, The Sun-Herald revealed Hasler attempted to walk out on Manly for the 2012 season as far back as August 22 - even though he was already under contract with the Sea Eagles for this season. Hasler was subsequently sacked and his phone and email records seized. The full findings from the internal investigations will be presented tomorrow night at the Manly board meeting.

The latest developments provide an explosive postscript to the Friday night's blockbuster. And while Foran will remain a Sea Eagle, it's unclear if Hasler will continue to target more Manly players. Australian forward Tony Williams is just one of several stars linked to Belmore.

Manly coach Geoff Toovey - who shared a beer with Hasler after the game - said the tug of war for Foran had not distracted his side ahead of the grudge match.

''Our players are very professional,'' Toovey said. ''We've seen that in the past, not just this year but in previous years as well. They're able to put those issues to the background and concentrate on football. I would expect nothing less than our players doing that in the future - forgetting about these things. The management will sort those things out and we need to get on with playing good football.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/edgy-eagles-to-make-call-on-hasler-action-20120428-1xrll.html#ixzz1tNO4AuQS

Take them to the cleaners.
I want Greenberg exposed as the dirty underhanded, unethical dog that he is.

Take them all to the cleaners...I said it before, if they have done something ilegal, than slaughter them. Then we will see if the IC have any balls.....

Go after Greenburg for sure but I dont want to see Manly turn on Hasler eventhough I have no respect for what he did I dont want to see my club turn on an ex legend player and coach of ours.

Yes take them to cleaners. This was a calculated move to damage us. If they have broken the law then they have to pay!

What is it with bulldogs and cheating...

If Hsler has cheated and been involved in illegal practises to hurt Manly...F@RK him....take them all to the cleaners. I dont care who it is, it cant be tolerated and let go....Bringing the game into disrepute, blatant cheating and rorting of the position they held at the time....strip them of points.....suspend them....its cheating, the same as the cap cheats and anyone else who dont obey the law......
If we have nothing tell everyone and move on....but that I doubt....where there is smoke there is fire.

"Such serious claims are potentially damaging to Greenberg in particular. The Bulldogs chief executive has been touted as a potential successor to ARLC boss David Gallop."..... I guess Robert Mugabe and Kim Jong-un are both unavailable then?

The best legal minds at the Kennel seem to think they have a case against us for blackmail. Hopefully some of these guys are acting for the Bulldogs. Greenberg will end up in jail!

The underhanded s**t def deserves to be hung out to dry but really hoping any legal issues are handles professionally far AWAY from the players.
Absolutely hate when the footy / monkey business becomes intwined effecting the on field performances.
Regardless of what anyone says, the 2009 season was tarnished from day 1 with off field crap & any chance of going back to back in 2012 will dissolve if not handled properly.....

Facepalm with all this kennel vs silvertails crap i can just imagine the next dry news today a tele journo writing about how each clubs fans are at war etc etc. I am really quite over it.

However if manly have a strong case just go ahead with it, serve them and then quantify damages from any loss of sponsorship dollars etc and most likely settle out of court.

I think its time to move on, Des is at another club, Manly sacked him, no Manly players have been taken, so big deal, move on and get on with playing footy

Depending on the intent and dollar amount Manly claim they be missing out on going forward, people need to remember this is a criminal matter, and a very serious issue.

It's that reason, I say Perry and Greenberg shake hands with a gentleman's agreement, and agree to move on.

Why drag the game through the mud due to the actions of a minority? Hey, let Gallop know, and ask that he give 50% of The Bulldogs grant for next year to us.

That way, The Eagles are truly compensated (circa $2,000,000). The Bulldog's are punished monetarily (but not tangibly, as they themselves talk about how cashed up they are), and the game isn't soiled with one club tearing another apart.

Ryan said:
Depending on the intent and dollar amount Manly claim they be missing out on going forward, people need to remember this is a criminal matter, and a very serious issue.

If it's a criminal matter why let it go? Why not let the wife and GF bashers off aswell?

Goodness gracious me. What are you thinking Ryan ? This is most certainly not a criminal matter.

Criminal matters dont get sorted by gentlemens agreements.

The game isnt dragged through the mud if this goes legal.

50% grant transfer via gallops instruction = :lol:

$2M = :lol:

swoop said:
Such serious claims are potentially damaging to Greenberg in particular. The Bulldogs chief executive has been touted as a potential successor to ARLC boss David Gallop.

They're good at the potential successor to David Gallop.

The last one touted was Searle of the Gold Coast Titans. Look what happened to his under-handed tactics. Hope Greenturd goes the same way!

Ryan said:

It's that reason, I say Perry and Greenberg shake hands with a gentleman's agreement, and agree to move on.

Why drag the game through the mud due to the actions of a minority? Hey, let Gallop know, and ask that he give 50% of The Bulldogs grant for next year to us.

That way, The Eagles are truly compensated (circa $2,000,000). The Bulldog's are punished monetarily (but not tangibly, as they themselves talk about how cashed up they are), and the game isn't soiled with one club tearing another apart.

This makes no logical sense????

My take is that we need to sue for damages, there appears to be sufficient evidence so put Canterbury back in their place & not at our expense.

God what a club - salary cap breaches , Coffs Harbour rape allegations (and we all know they were guily as sin) & now this breach of contract / poaching stuff. Wheee what a family club to support ffs !!!!

"it's not personal, it's just business.." Isn't that the Cleal viewpoint about stripping Manly of its assets?

Manly need to protect their Brand and pursue all legal avenues available to them for compensation.
It is a business decision from the Board.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2