Early Front Row report...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I can't believe that if he has only just signed, how the hell could he and his family not have known about the amount of young front rowers Manly have signed?? We have been listing them since last year!! Seems like a big fat pork pie to me.

I bet there would be a stink if DCE pulled the old, "I'm not happy, and I have clauses" trick straight after signing a new contract. I think it's a load of crap.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Eagle Rock said:
Jake does have clauses in his contract if he is not happy at Manly.
Yeah, there is a clause that allows him to frown.

I can't believe his family would be stupid enough to think a club with premiership ambitions does not need many props in their squad.

Understandable that Jake is impatient to hit NRL but Toovey is not dumb enough to throw him to the wolves, we need to let the 2014 team get set and then introduce him gradually, I'm sure he's in our plans as the year rolls on.

His family I was told were told differently. Jake has played at a high level through reps etc. compared to the other props, he would have no problem playing 1sts now. I would be starting to have him coming off the bench. Rather than be playing that Cup Crap.

Eagle Rock said:
Townsville Eagle said:
We have some great talent in the making, we haven't even focused on young Turbo who is an excellent player. We have depth in the front row, the trouble I fear will be keeping it.

I am hearing Jake has just signed a new 3 year deal and have been told he probably shouldn't have rushed into it. Tooves should have him at least coming off the bench.

No way. There is already too much instability in the front row rotation.

Once the stability is back he'll get his crack.

Lawrence has been below his best for whatever reason And Starling is only just finding his feet. King is 1 game back and Dunamis Lui has only played 2 games at this club.

Stevo said:
Eagle Rock said:
Townsville Eagle said:
We have some great talent in the making, we haven't even focused on young Turbo who is an excellent player. We have depth in the front row, the trouble I fear will be keeping it.

I am hearing Jake has just signed a new 3 year deal and have been told he probably shouldn't have rushed into it. Tooves should have him at least coming off the bench.

Lawrence has been below his best for whatever reason And Starling is only just finding his feet. King is 1 game back and Dunamis Lui has only played 2 games at this club.

I am not saying we have to create instability in rushing juniors into the team only that our recruitment to date has been fantastic and we really don't need any more props, utilise the talent we have or lose it and eventually have to pay overs for the same players. Again, let's go back to the ultimate saying, BRED not BOUGHT.

People ned to relax, Jake will play 12+ games this year and will be a regular next year.

You dont jus walk into first grade as a front rower, look at Klemmer and Evans

Stevo said:
Eagle Rock said:
Townsville Eagle said:

Yeah I am not sure if lawrence if carrying an injury but he seems to be hestitating when he hits the line.

He is 21. Props are eased into NRL. He will be be a regular in the side by the end of the year imo. Worst case is he plays 10 or so games then is in the 17 fulltime next year.

Disco said:
People ned to relax, Jake will play 12+ games this year and will be a regular next year.

You dont jus walk into first grade as a front rower, look at Klemmer and Evans

True, but Jake should be coming off the bench even at this stage, he has the goods. I was chatting to head at Manly at Narrabeen today about this and he told me that Jakey Boy will be getting a lot of time in 1sts this season. That is great to hear.

Eagle Rock said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Great. In that case why did he wait so long? ;)

I think his family are not too happy after he signed to then hear about all the other Props Manly had bought. I don't blame them.
Lets look at this in a positive way. His family should be proud and very happy that Manly were keen to reward him with a contract . Great news . Well done Manly . We hardly lose our quality young players .

Eagle Rock said:
Blowfly said:
Gee that's a shock that the Bulldogs were after him!

I'm expecting an offer soon.

Manly will look after Jake. They know how good he is & are only protecting his future.

He'll be a top grade regular before seasons end IMO.

Well lets hope so. Considering the Bulldogs paid $850 000 for prop Fifita. Jake does have clauses in his contract if he is not happy at Manly.
The Manly culture is second to none . 2V is also a great mentor and that is the reasons he signed because he is happy and knows he has a big future with the greatest team in the NRL !

Not convinced about Starling yet. Parra were pushing him backwards with several of his hitups today. Not bending the line like Kitey did. He's got a long way to hold down a permanent 17 spot. Good to see Kingdog get plenty of minutes today. King should be starting soon. I'd be looking at Hasson and JSL or Jake for the 2 bech prop spots. Lui is doing well but Tommy S was back in NSW cup so he'll be pushing for a 17 spot too.

I wouldn't say a hack, Starling was very good against Souths. The problem with inexperienced props is being consistently good week in week out, which isn't easy.

Hasn't Jake been playing at lock in the NSWCup? Sounds like a very deliberate plan for me. Same as Gutherson at 5/8. Thats why people shouldn't get hung up on the results on the lower grades. The players are obviously looking at developing parts of their game to help in first grade. The team could be better off with them doing other roles and have other people performing those roles but will that help them when they play first grade? I'm sure Jake knows the plan for him and is fully on board and signing a 3 year deal would suggest that be the case.

I've gotta say I am seriously underwhelmed by Starling both last year at Souths and this year with us. And that's putting it mildly. I know props take time to develop and our recruitment gets it right most of the time and we cant complain, but I just reckon this is one they may have gotten wrong ( albeit on limited evidence so far ). Gets turtled on to his back too often and all momentum of the set is lost. What are they seeing in him ???

Lui and Hasson offer plenty more in my book - on current form Jake T will get his chance at some time during the year.

Masked Eagle said:
Hasn't Jake been playing at lock in the NSWCup? Sounds like a very deliberate plan for me. Same as Gutherson at 5/8. Thats why people shouldn't get hung up on the results on the lower grades. The players are obviously looking at developing parts of their game to help in first grade. The team could be better off with them doing other roles and have other people performing those roles but will that help them when they play first grade? I'm sure Jake knows the plan for him and is fully on board and signing a 3 year deal would suggest that be the case.

Yeah jake at lock, gutho at 5/8 - soon though however they will be battling it out with the wolfman who will be playing both positions, as well as hooker.

Starling 13 runs for 104m
Lawrence 9 runs for 70m

More runs and more metres per run than his starting partner.

They look alike so you might be getting them mixed up at times but he is going ok for a bloke who has yet to crack 20 games

Starling goes alright. He's not as mobile as others in the squad but he's more solid. It's not a bad mix of front rowers at all. Luakui might have to start out in the 2's and show he's even in contention with our fine young crop.

As for Turbo. How old the kid 20? Let 2v's ease him into it. He didn't play much NSW Cup last year. So this is first full year playing against men.

Dunamis Lui needed a better write up i thought. What he has shown thus far has been worth getting excited about. Hope he gets a bit more solid with time and holds a permanent place.
Would like to see Starling give another 5%, but do like what ive seen.
Lawrence seems short of his best.
The rest are going well.
Lets get kiwi Lauaki as well as Turbo into the forward rotation soon, for the middle to back end of the comp. 2 good additions to the pack

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6