[Resurrected] Dylan Walker determined to be Manly's long-term No.6

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Dylan Walker finds himself in unfamiliar territory in the No.6 jersey but Manly's big off-season recruit insists he is not just a stop-gap solution.

The 21-year-old admitted there was unwarranted pressure on him to deliver from the start at his new club, but said it was always going to take time for him to settle into the new role in new surroundings.

While it was slow start to the year for the former South Sydney centre, Walker believes he's found some rhythm after five weeks steering the team around the paddock.

"For me, I think people just expected too much too soon," Walker said. "We always knew there would be a work in progress. Everyone just put a lot of pressure where they thought I had to do a lot of things at the start. I'm finding my feet now and just enjoying it.

New role: Dylan Walker prefers seeing more of the ball in the five-eighth position.
New role: Dylan Walker prefers seeing more of the ball in the five-eighth position. Photo: Cameron Spencer
"I think I'll be a five-eighth for a long time. That's the way I'm looking at it. I'm not looking to be a short-term solution. I'm really enjoying getting my hands on the ball a lot more and I want to make the position my own."

While Walker earned Test honours for Australia on the back of his efforts in the centres for South Sydney, he admits he has always held a desire to play in the halves.

The opportunity to do so at Manly was a huge factor in his decision to move to the northern beaches.

"When I first came into first grade, that same year I was playing six [five-eighth] in the under 20s and reserve grade," Walker said.

"It was something new to me in grade but I always found myself as a six growing up. It's something I'm really enjoying at the moment. It was a massive factor in coming here. Baz [coach Trent Barrett] has been awesome since I got here and he's a really good coach who knows what he's doing. It's been awesome.

"It was a bit hard at Souths. There were a couple of other guys there who played in the halves, like Luke Keary, and Cody Walker was also there, and Adam Reynolds. Madge [Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire] wanted me in the centres and I was happy to be there. I enjoyed my time there. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about coming here to play five-eighth."

At a club renowned for producing international halves, Walker has no shortage of advice on how to ensure he continues the club's trend, with Daly Cherry-Evans, Barrett and club legend Bob Fulton in his corner.

The last big-name half to leave the club was Kieran Foran, and while Walker recognises the impact his predecessor had on the club, he doesn't feel the burden of filling his shoes.

"I met Foz last year in the All Stars and he's an absolute champion and I got along with him well," Walker said.

"I don't put that pressure on myself. I just have to worry about what I do before anything else and the score will take care of itself. I always looked at myself as a different player. I didn't want to compare myself to anyone else. Everyone has a different style of play and Kieran has been a great five-eighth for quite a few years.

"I also have Baz, who is a mentor for myself and was a champion five-eighth. He's taught me a lot about the game and I'm just soaking it all in."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...7t.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Still raw, but getting better each week.

4 tries in 5 shows he's becoming quite a weapon on that left edge.

Link up play has been better as well whilst far from polished, shame DCE's injury will slow that progress.

If he continues his form why not easily been one of our best this year. He's really coming along and i think everyone telling him to ball play should F off! His running game is what is making him a gun at 5/8. And also has the best short kicking game I've seen from a 5/8 this year. But tbh I'd rather we sign Lachlan Coote to play 5/8 but I'm ok with walker there too. But if api continues his form Dylan could see himself back in the centres. Jamie Lyon should just retire his defence is still decent but lacks pace and confidence in Tom turbo and others around him. But if walker does stay at 5/8 we will have to go out and buy 2 new centres! Testing times ahead for baz as he plans life away from Matai and Lyon.

If he continues his form why not easily been one of our best this year. He's really coming along and i think everyone telling him to ball play should F off! His running game is what is making him a gun at 5/8. And also has the best short kicking game I've seen from a 5/8 this year. But tbh I'd rather we sign Lachlan Coote to play 5/8 but I'm ok with walker there too. But if api continues his form Dylan could see himself back in the centres. Jamie Lyon should just retire his defence is still decent but lacks pace and confidence in Tom turbo and others around him. But if walker does stay at 5/8 we will have to go out and buy 2 new centres! Testing times ahead for baz as he plans life away from Matai and Lyon.
How stupid I was haha.

FN unbelievable. Insanity. After an entire season at 6 and now expecting a different result. Manly paid big dollars for a 6 and have probably said to Walker if you want the same dollars next contract you need to perform in the 6. But even that is craziness, does it really need to be establish Dylan isn't a 6. I'm over Barrett's pig headed selections. Tooves Hasler hell right now I am thinking Matt Elliott would be an improvement. Baz WTF No, no,no,no,no.

The stubbornness in not selecting Hastings is laughable. Why weaken one position to play a proven weak option in another? Insanity.

The line has been repeatedly that DCE needs an organising half. What part of Dylan Walker fits that role?

I remember several moments of Dylan Walker running around like a headless chicken back when he was in the 6, but organising half? You got to be joking.

The truth about Hastings needs to come out. Sick of this ****.

The truth is the guy must be the biggest A of A-Grade knobs going around.

Trent Barrett will live or die by his team selection.

The fact Trent will risk seppuku, rather than include the kid says volumes for me. Get to the end of the year and let him go. The money can be used elsewhere.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4