Drugs, Sex, Domestic Violence: Football's dark cover up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A snippet from today's court hearing:

Burgess’s lawyer Phillip Boulten SC accused her of leaking documents to a media publication in order to destroy his client’s reputation.
But Ms Burgess said The Australian approached her about rumours that had been circulating and said she chose not to cover up her side of the story “which is so typical of the system I was a part of”.

Why does Burgess' defence lawyer keep on with this line of 'defence'? Forget trying to deflect the issue -- it's irrelevant how the story came to and start disputing the allegations!
Trying to prove that her motive was purely to ruin him, not that she was wronged.

The alleged cover up culture is alarming to say the least and does nothing to deter atrocious behavior by players. The suggested opportunism by women to just make this stuff up is cave man mentality. Covering things up simply empowers the perpetrators. And if this is true then in effect the NRL unknowingly rewarded Souths by giving them salary cap relief for Burgess. I'm not suggesting that every complainant should be believed but they should be heard and their complaint properly investigated. Time to toughen up and throw out the dirty bath water.

at least he could have given him a clip over the ear, and kick up the arse
Figuratively speaking I think that’s what he did , but the big Burgi would be an intimidating character I’d say and very unused to ANYONE telling him what to do!

What? Not sure how you say the hearsay rule has anything to do with leaking?
Tbh haven't read/followed any specifics with the case. Just scrolled through this thread, and saw something about leaked information to the media. Generally speaking, I think if a third party was to publish info "other than when giving evidence", this info may be deemed inadmissible

Former Souths' star Sam Burgess says while he was angry he was being treated "inhumanely", he did not intimidate his ex-father in law.
Giving evidence at Moss Vale Local Court, Burgess remained calm as he denied prosecution claims he came within 20 centimeters of Mitchell Hooke in 2019 and said "I'm going to get you."
"That's not true," he responded.

The lawyer for Sam Burgess says his client has “finally been vindicated” after the ex-NRL star was acquitted on appeal of intimidating his former father-in-law.

Mr Burgess was last month found guilty of intimidation following an argument with Mitchell Hooke, ex-wife Phoebe Burgess’ father, at his property near Bowral in October 2019.

Mr Burgess successfully appealed the conviction on Friday at Goulburn District Court.

The lawyer for Sam Burgess says his client has “finally been vindicated” after the ex-NRL star was acquitted on appeal of intimidating his former father-in-law.

Mr Burgess was last month found guilty of intimidation following an argument with Mitchell Hooke, ex-wife Phoebe Burgess’ father, at his property near Bowral in October 2019.

Mr Burgess successfully appealed the conviction on Friday at Goulburn District Court.

One down. How many more court cases to go?

Former NRL player Sam Burgess will plead guilty to driving with an illicit drug in his blood after being pulled over on the Hume Highway in February, a court has heard.
The 32-year-old former South Sydney captain appeared before Moss Vale Local Court on Tuesday where his lawyer Bryan Wrench told Magistrate Mark Douglass it had been a “trace amount”.

Mr Burgess was driving a BMW X5 when he was pulled over at Braemar in the NSW Southern Highlands on February 22 and subject to a random roadside drug test.

He sat silently behind Mr Wrench as the lawyer said he would plead guilty to driving a vehicle with an illicit substance in his blood, driving an unregistered vehicle, and driving without a NSW licence.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4