Double try set for All Stars game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
A 'double try' innovation will be part of the inaugural rugby league All Stars game to be played next February.

The Indigenous and NRL All Stars will be able to opt for an extra play rather than a conversion in an attempt to score four more points in the match, to be played on the Gold Coast on February 13.

The move is one of several designed to increase the entertainment factor for the game, which will commemorate the anniversary of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's apology to the Stolen Generation.

Others include the use of four referees, coaches Neil Henry and Wayne Bennett wearing microphones and the video referee explaining decisions to the broadcasters' commentary team.

Bennett was on hand on Tuesday to launch voting for the NRL team he will coach.

“It's a great concept for the fans and I'm sure they'll come up with a great team,” he said.
Voting will take place in two stages, with the first ending on December 26.

The Australian and New Zealand Test captains and vice captains are automatic selections with each NRL club to be represented in the other 16.

The Indigenous All Stars 20-man squad has already been selected by vote.

2 tries....this is effing ridiculous

It sounds more and more like NFL every day, and that is no where near as entertaining as Rugby League

Dan link said:
It sounds more and more like NFL every day,

We could have kept Orford. Most on here claim he was about half of a good half-back, so he should make a very good quarter-back. :)

Cameron Smith has been a good quarterback the past 3 seasons

These moves to me are making this game more of a joke than a celebration

I was never massive on the concept to start with. I believe that this side is selected by a public vote, and must be 1 from each side, so as Manly fans we should band together and vote to make sure an expendable type is put up to play rather than the Stewarts, Watmough and Lyon

Not a fan of the two try rule.... they have the perfect game... they just need perfect officialdom and all will be perfect :)

Wow it becoming Gridiron the Aust version - next they will throw out yellow flags - stop the game for commercials - Play 4 quarters - have an attacking side and defensive side..

Why change something that isnt broken - it is time to pool our money together to get Gallop - who's in......

At this rate the next "innovation" will have to be an allowable forward pass every tackle and two points awarded for every time you trap the opposition in their own in goal.  A great and original name for it would be "safety".

"The double try or eight-point try: Once a try is scored, the captain of the scoring team can advise the referee that the team will forgo the conversion and opt for the chance to have an additional play instead. Once a team decides to attempt the eight-point try, both sides can interchange to bring on offensive or defensive players. Play will then resume anywhere between the 10 and 20 metre mark and in line with where the try was scored. There is no kicking allowed in the extra play – the attacking team must break the defensive line to score. Any stoppage other than a try will see the match restart with a kick-off from halfway."

Just to make things even more of a joke, they should bring in a powerplay rule, which we could maybe call Multiball or something, where the captain can call it and they get to attack with 2 balls at once or something ridiculous like that

I reckon it's an awesome idea - what do you think fans at the game would rather see: a conversion, or another play for a try? I know what I'd rather see

They should have three tackles to get over the line if they go for the extra try.

Don't talk about similarities with NFL there are too many now.

Six Tackle v four downs
Touchbak to the twenty if couaght in goal
Similar markings ont he field

One rule I'd like to se them try is a kick off from the twenty metre line after tries or goals are scored.

and due to head injuries etc etc blah blah, in 2010 we will be trailling full face helmets. Also fullbacks will wear #87, up to #97 & #99 for the props.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4