Donny Singe and the fitness Enigma ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Let me say at the outset ... That I am a huge fan of the Don ... and what his experience and man management talents bring to a club .... in fact I went out on a limb and suggested that he was probably the most valuable recruitment Dessie could have done ...

However, given Zorba and others raising the issue of our fitness .... what is doin ... does anybody follow Donny on social media .... has he been active ?

Are we unfit ... or is that just a symptom of our lack of defensive structures ?? ... or are we just seeing what we want to see ?

And yes ... a very different year with Covid, the break, the bubble, using players without match fitness etc ... but so has every other team ...

Donny ... call me

I think the biggest issue this year is we have hardly been able to keep the same team on the paddock. Week to week it changes due to the injuries that have clobbered us and the replacements that come in are coming in cold with zero competitive football. Never known a year like this. For now I give Donny and the team benefit of the doubt. 2021 is make or break for everyone in the playing staff!

I think the biggest issue this year is we have hardly been able to keep the same team on the paddock. Week to week it changes due to the injuries that have clobbered us and the replacements that come in are coming in cold with zero competitive football. Never known a year like this. For now I give Donny and the team benefit of the doubt. 2021 is make or break for everyone in the playing staff!
Wasn't much different to last year when we thought it was a freak season for injuries.

Injuries aside, it is massively concerning that we look totally gassed after about 10mins each game. Boy, half the team look ready for a lie down after warm up. There is something not right
Agree. I couldn't believe the number of chases they just conceded on the weekend. Not sure if it was lack of interest or just the certain knowledge that they would never have made it.

Manly look mentally gassed to me Poor ball control, no game management, random kicking game has us pinned in our own half more than most. A lack of repeat sets that add confidence and enthusiasm never come. We are always under the pump. Some games our best props have very few touches before they are replaced and they are not tackling machines. They are built for metres

Our backs are being strandard in our own quarter after kicks while the pack ambles back.

Our pack is huge, not overly blessed in workrate and we play a game that doesnt suit them one little bit.

I think our players are plenty fit, our game is built on braun not brains and that always has consequences .

I think its why we get rolled in the penalties and 6 agains , because we just always seem to be on the back foot, that why we rely on a penalty to get us rolling. Turning the tide is in the hands of the opposition with errors or the ref. We seldom instigate it

Manly look mentally gassed to me Poor ball control, no game management, random kicking game has us pinned in our own half more than most. A lack of repeat sets that add confidence and enthusiasm never come. We are always under the pump. Some games our best props have very few touches before they are replaced and they are not tackling machines. They are built for metres

Our backs are being strandard in our own quarter after kicks while the pack ambles back.

Our pack is huge, not overly blessed in workrate and we play a game that doesnt suit them one little bit.

I think our players are plenty fit, our game is built on braun not brains and that always has consequences .

I think its why we get rolled in the penalties and 6 agains , because we just always seem to be on the back foot, that why we rely on a penalty to get us rolling. Turning the tide is in the hands of the opposition with errors or the ref. We seldom instigate it
If the 6 again continues ( and there’s zero mention of it not), our team makeup is totally wrong BUT players who excel in those conditions are going to be rarely on the market so it’s almost like we have to start completely again from the juniors.

Could be a very long few years ahead.

Remember earlier in the season when Tom and Walks went down in the Canberra game and the commitment shown, against Parra etc our fitness was up there. This team has lost all self confidence, had a ton of injuries and before someone says that's the reason look at the Roosters who have everything in terms of resources and 3rd string players. It's not just us suffering. Even Cam Smith had an injury wgich never happens. I think the last 2-3 games they haven't tried as hard because we are out of the 8 with nothing to play for and maybe the cleanout has played on players minds also.

I think it's more to do with mental fitness & desire than physical fitness.

I noticed Funa looking gassed in the second half but that was after he'd been involved in a couple of chases & tackles.

Hoppa just stood there & watched when the Titans made a break past him, I was very unimpressed with his attitude then.

Mental fitness or fatigue leads onto all the rest, willing your body to go on, decision making etc.

We had a lower grade league ref ( he was a mate of ours) come to run some drills at soccer training years ago.
The drill started off simply enough and we could remember what certain calls meant early on but as more instructions were added in combined with our physical exertion the more errors we made.
It was a real eye opener as to the correlation of physical and mental fitness.

On Funa, at least he showed some serious ticker when he chased down the intercept from the far side to save a try. He's improving each game with his efforts and confidence, if only he could play the same position with the same players next to him each week.

DCE is the exception in fitness terms. Absolute beast. Always leads kick chases, often making tackles that others miss, often the one chasing down breaks. Say whatever else you want about him, but his effort and fitness are massive.

Perfectly put mate.

At the end of the day, he can't do everything and I think because he has to put in extra efforts to cover for other players, especially in defence, affects how he performs in other areas like forcing repeat sets etc.

DCE is the exception in fitness terms. Absolute beast. Always leads kick chases, often making tackles that others miss, often the one chasing down breaks. Say whatever else you want about him, but his effort and fitness are massive.

100%. Just proves most of the other Manly team mates are not 100% committed to being professional NRL players.
Big Marty and Jake are the exceptions. I will also give Paseka a pass.

The rest are not fit enough. Is Donny's fault or the players?

Croker certainly is not fit enough to play 80 minutes at 5/8th. Last week most of the time he was behind the forwards at getting on side.

100%. Just proves most of the other Manly team mates are not 100% committed to being professional NRL players.
Big Marty and Jake are the exceptions. I will also give Paseka a pass.

The rest are not fit enough. Is Donny's fault or the players?

Croker certainly is not fit enough to play 80 minutes at 5/8th. Last week most of the time he was behind the forwards at getting on side.
Agreed and just an observation but big Marty has upped his workrate and really put in huge efforts each week since he didnt have AFB as the other prop. I think Marty becomes a forward pack leader next year as in the follow me into battle guy.

Let me say at the outset ... That I am a huge fan of the Don ... and what his experience and man management talents bring to a club .... in fact I went out on a limb and suggested that he was probably the most valuable recruitment Dessie could have done ...

However, given Zorba and others raising the issue of our fitness .... what is doin ... does anybody follow Donny on social media .... has he been active ?

Are we unfit ... or is that just a symptom of our lack of defensive structures ?? ... or are we just seeing what we want to see ?

And yes ... a very different year with Covid, the break, the bubble, using players without match fitness etc ... but so has every other team ...

Donny ... call me
I once asked a girl on tinder if she was into fitness, she said yes. So I asked her how she would feel about fitting....

Actually never mind, I didn't even get a first date after that

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4