Don’t let my brother walk away

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I still think that the 6th year its a 20% reduction...40% at 7 and so on till after 10 not included in cap at all. Pay em what u want then.
But as you say killer it goes back a long way and still nothing has been done

bob dylan said:
Punt King and Wolf and sign Glenn.

I would be very surprised if you put both their deals together it would retain Glenn.

Wolfie has stayed for basic wages and is essential to the discerning Fans :angel:

Kingy is easily on 3 to 4 times of his wages.

But Gifty's 850k this year is the last he will get that :cool: Unless he goes to Union.
He has really trimmed down though. So we should be treated to a fine effort from the elder Stewart this year :)

Ryan said:
Glenn Stewart should not be allowed to leave the club

Totally agree, but neither should DCE. If you had to choose between the two, who goes? Twelve months ago I would have said DCE. Now I don't want to split them. I can't bear the thought of either leaving.

From what I continually read, Manly is "under salary cap pressure..."
Thanks all you scoops out there. It's not news!
What club hasn't spent up to its salary cap?
We could adopt the ploy of several other clubs - spend over the cap and pay the 'slap on the wrist' fine. It's what Easts do. They have kept all bar one of their 'premiership rorting' team from last season and are not worried about paying a fine when this season is over.

Foz has said in an article on the SMH that he believes gift and DCE will both stay.

The comparison given above, that for example should Gallen be forced to leave the sharks.

Gallen would only be forced to leave the Sharks if the Sharks recruitment team felt they needed to spend an amount of money for each individual that amounted to them only having x amount left for Gallen. If Gallen's current form at the time of negotiations is worth x amount and not worth them fitting in the cap, then that's the club's decision.

He is not being forced out by the salary cap, the club have decided to spend more on other players. You can't have some clubs bolstering their team, then crying poor that they can't afford their star player.

Same for manly and any manly player. Gifty and Gallen will start every match this year if fit. So if they are good enough to make the starting 13, let alone the squad of 25, so pay them accordingly and pay others less if you want to keep them.

We all know the salary cap is a restraint of trade not like it is being used in most if not all clubs anyway so it is nice to be able to let players go with this "genuine" excuse.

The salary cap is used to restrain spending yes but does not prevent clubs who want to exceed the cap exceed it.(Based off zero facts but logical reasoning well to me it is anyway)

CEO's and coaches love the excuse saves them the stress to think up a reason when face to face.

You just keep deferring the large amounts until you require a rebuild of the squad then when you have drained enough blood out of the expensive players and feel it is time to let them go you don't renew their contract.

The squad then loses experience and is replaced by youth at a cheaper price(and a good chance of a less competitive season if too many experienced players are let go in one hit) for a short period "hopefully" before the cycle starts again.

Gift has proven 1 of the best fowards Internationally & after a good pre season over niggling injuries will prove his worth in 2014.
Things to consider for mine are the effect it will have on Brett & the entire squad who are inspired by his leadership as well as his quality if he went else where.
Fact is the most integral players of MUST KEEP status are - Snake, DCE, Foz, Watmough, Lyon & Gift.
This core player group is strong enough to build a team around & be competitive for a premiership tilt all day , every day.
Fact is to do so, Gift may have to do what others already have, accept a lttle less to become that 1 club player we are all hoping for.
Unless its a ridiculous overs in comparison, cant see him considering leaving....

The problem for Manly is that we have so many more stars that we have wanted to - and been able to - retain for a long period. Not many other clubs would have more than 3 or 4, if that. We still have Brett and Glenn, Killer, Foz, DCE, Watmough, and Matai, which is 7, even though that number has been pared in recent years by letting go other stars such as Kite, T Rex, Beaver.

Problem is if you keep them all you have to let them all go at once or too close together.

Such a hard decision considering the Brothers connection which makes it more complex but you have to take that out of the equation.

Glenn is a classy ball player if he was still reasonably sharp and penetrated through the line more often i would keep him for 4 years.(Ok lets be fair 3yrs but probably two with an option)

At the moment his go forward numbers are average so basically we are paying for an extra 5/8 who racks up good tackle numbers but unlike a 5/8 does not threaten the line himself.(Loved the old school Glenn busting through holes and a danger in the redzone also.)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
The problem for Manly is that we have so many more stars that we have wanted to - and been able to - retain for a long period. Not many other clubs would have more than 3 or 4, if that. We still have Brett and Glenn, Killer, Foz, DCE, Watmough, and Matai, which is 7, even though that number has been pared in recent years by letting go other stars such as Kite, T Rex, Beaver.

Easts have half of the NZ team. How do they do it? Pay them in $NZ perhaps?

True but they only have them for a couple of years. Mini has been there long-term, and SKD and JWH and Pearce for a few years, but not many others.

HappilyManly said:
Wolfie has stayed for basic wages and is essential to the discerning Fans :angel:

Kingy is easily on 3 to 4 times of his wages.

But Gifty's 850k this year is the last he will get that :cool: Unless he goes to Union.
He has really trimmed down though. So we should be treated to a fine effort from the elder Stewart this year :)
That would surprise me if King is on that kind of money. Despite being a co-captain to my knowledge he's never been our number 1/marquee prop in terms of money.

Does anyone know roughly the size of King's current deal?

Doesn't matter what the cap exemptions are, if the club can't afford to pay everyone top dollar they can't. A part of the reasoning of a salary cap is to stop clubs going broke paying out money they can't afford.

castle eagle said:
now you've made my observation on your comment looks stupid:-/
kind of fitting really...
Didn't mean to do that at all CE. Just had to fix it because I intended to state what we all know. The Stewarts look great together and they're at their best in maroon and white.
You were right to comment. I would have. I totally disagree with what I accidently first posted. Go the Stewies :) Let's hope for a big year from our Manly brothers.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7