Don’t let my brother walk away

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would like Glen Stewart re-signed but at a price we are all happy with. We are still in a position where to continue to move forward we have to be mindful of the cap and our spend to it. Make it work recruitment team, we need another big one please.

I am sure he would want to stay and I am sure every Manly fan would love him to stay BUT (and sadly I must say) there's nothing in place in the NRL for a big exemption for players who have been with one club only and want to finish with that club....IMO it should be a minimum that only 50% of whats paid is counted for the cap after a player has done a certain time with the club on the proviso his first NRL game was with that club.

Forget Manly for a moment, a player like Paul Gallen should get a major exemption for staying loyal to the Sharks.

You could even go one step further and make a 10 year plus player only accountable for 25% of his salary.

I think it will come down to this.

Manly will offer him a lower contract NO FORWARD is worth $650K a year, or moving forward $800K a year.....so he's likely to have to suffer a big drop as the retention of DCE/Fozzie is far more important, a team can be built around them.

Canberra (as an example) will offer him huge money, they can't attract big name players and will be trying to build a culture (much like they are doing at Penrith which is why Brent Kite was purchased).

And Gifty will have to choose.

He stays and becomes a one club player, a likely Life Member, probably has a job post career and gets to play his remaining years next to his brother.

OR

He thinks about his financial future, and opts to take the big money for that reason alone.

The Club, the retention crew, the CEO.......and the fans should not buy into the " he must be retained at all costs" deal....this is a business now, it's not about "doing the right thing" its about winning Premierships.

I too was very sad to see big George and Kitey leave, but they chose the "bigger money elsewhere" deal as well, and good luck to them!!

I hope Gifty stays, but I won't be "gutted" if he leaves....its after all.....part of the business of Rugby League football.

The NRL better get their act together soon and let one club players be excluded from the cap. Why should fans become members when the cap works directly to rip clubs apart?

873546-2ce70064-a28c-11e3-8dfc-d9063670fb71.jpg

Don’t let my brother walk away, pleads Manly Sea Eagles star Brett Stewart

Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
March 03, 2014 4:00PM

SEA Eagles star Brett Stewart has made a passionate plea to Manly officials: Don’t let my brother walk away.

And club five-eighth Kieran Foran said Brett and Glenn Stewart deserved to finish their playing days together at Brookvale.

Read more.

Dean Ritchie said:
"Manly has several players on big money including Brett, Glenn, Foran, Jamie Lyon, Anthony Watmough and Daly Cherry-Evans."

So what? Compare that roster to Rorters. Why should Manly be made to shed more players.

^ Big difference between us and the Roosters is that all our "big money players", with the exception of Jamie Lyon, were developed by the club. That deserves to be rewarded somehow.

If Glenn can trim down regain some sharpness and balance out his ballplaying role with more go forward and hole running plays off the back of a quick play the ball i have no problem with a two year contract.

It is not enough to just be a tackling machine and a ballplayer Glenn has looked off the pace due to fitness for a few years now.

Glenn tried his heart out to improve his all round involvement during the back end of last season you could see he was making an extra effort to do more of the tough yards which was great to see and the odd hole running line was coming back also.

See how he is going and his "all round impact" during the first 8-10 rounds before making a decision if possible.

In saying that his presence is great for team discipline and maintains the successful culture at the club--- you don't want to be losing too many of these experienced hardened players in a short period of time as the new generation is soft to start with.

Ron E. Gibbs said:
^ Big difference between us and the Roosters is that all our "big money players", with the exception of Jamie Lyon, were developed by the club. That deserves to be rewarded somehow.

Spot on, and Jamie Lyon is now in season 8 at the club, and has been captain for a couple of years keeping the culture of the club developing and improving.

Brissie Kid said:
I'd just like to mention how cute those brothers look in their Aussie jumpers and they look even better in their Sea Eagle ones.
They belong together and at Manly.

Imagine Smith and Greenturd doing something that would assist Manly...Ha ha firkin ha....

A week after Stewart signs with someone else, they will change the rules.....But the pompous Banker will spruke how profitable they are since he took over.

FFS if Humphrey Bear had a billion $$ TV deal, put on a platter for him, he could be profitable also.

castle eagle said:
niccipops said:
Brissie Kid said:
I'd just like to mention how cute those brothers look in their Aussie jumpers and they look even better than in their Sea Eagle ones.

sorry, but i disagree.
they look best in maroon & white
Absolutely. I made an error which I will fix. I meant they look even better in their Sea Eagle ones. Cheers.

SEA Eagles star Brett Stewart has made a passionate plea to Manly officials: Don’t let my brother walk away.

And club five-eighth Kieran Foran said Brett and Glenn Stewart deserved to finish thei
Brett+Stewart+D98B2ae7yiVm1.jpg
r playing days together at Brookvale.

Glenn, 30, comes off contract after this season with rumours swirling he will poached by Canberra.

He could earn up to $600,000 a year on the open market.

The Daily Telegraph understands Manly met with Glenn’s manager, Mike Newton, last week and they will meet again next week.

Brett said Glenn - one of the world’s best forwards - should be re-signed despite salary cap pressure at the club.

“Obviously I have heard the same rumours as you blokes,’’ Brett said.

“We have had a pretty good careers here so far. Two premierships.

“I would love for him to finish his career here, we both would. We all know the salary cap and what it’s designed to do.

“If the club has their hands tied, like every other player, he will probably shop around.

“But it’s not good to see any player come through the junior ranks leave your club.

“We have seen it happen at a lot of clubs. That’s the way it is at the moment. Maybe it’s something that should be looked at.’’

Asked did he mean exemptions, Stewart said: ‘’I think so, that be a good start. Something along those lines, for sure.’’

Manly has several players on big money including Brett, Glenn, Foran, Jamie Lyon, Anthony Watmough and Daly Cherry-Evans.

There are fears the club may have to squeeze out a top-line player. Brett said he hadn’t attempted to interfere with any negotiations.

“Gift (Glenn) is his own man - everyone knows that,’’ he said. “He will make his own decisions.’’

Foran entered the debate and urged Manly to keep Glenn.

“I think everyone here wants Glenn to stay,’’ Foran said. “I definitely want him to be here. He is great for the club, on the field and off it as well.

“Him and his brother have been a huge part of the success here through the years.

“The club needs to do what they need to do to keep him here. I am sure they will. Everyone knows the importance of having Glenn in the side.’’

Foran said Glenn and Brett were “tight’’.

“They are very tight. They hang out every day, everyone knows that,’’ Foran said.

“I think it would be disappointing to see them separated. They deserve to play out their careers together. I believe they have (earned that right).’’

Brett, one of the most beautifully balanced runners of the modern era, is ready to rip this year, starting with Melbourne this Saturday night at Brookvale.

“It’s probably the best pre-season I have had under my belt for a couple of years now,’’ Stewart said. “I am going in pretty confident - I played 40 minutes in both trials.

“My hamstring seems to be fully healed and my knees are pretty good as well, which is probably the main injury.’’

Dean Ritchie

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/dont-let-my-brother-walk-away-pleads-manly-sea-eagles-star-brett-stewart/story-fni3gnk1-1226843873631

873602-29c09666-a28c-11e3-8dfc-d9063670fb71.jpg

Kieran Foran tips Daly Cherry-Evans, Glenn Stewart to stay at Manly Sea Eagles
March 4, 2014 Michael Carayannis Rugby League Writer

Glenn-20Stewart-20140303200924541759-620x349.jpg

Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran has little doubt that he will continue to play alongside Daly Cherry-Evans and Glenn Stewart beyond this year.

Stewart has been linked to a switch to Canberra at the end of this year, while Brisbane would join a host of other NRL clubs wanting to secure Cherry-Evans should he stall in re-signing with the Sea Eagles before his contract expires at the end of next season.

Foran said the club should be able to retain his halves partner.

''It's realistic,'' Foran said. ''He is a massive key component to this side moving forward. I think they need to do whatever they need to do to make sure he stays in the maroon and white.''

Stewart, at 30, faces a more uncertain future. The back-rower, who struggled with a knee injury last year, could be squeezed out of the club as Manly face salary cap pressures. Foran said it would be ''disappointing'' to see Glenn separated from brother Brett.

''I think everyone wants Glenn to stay,'' Foran said. ''He is great for the club not only on [the field] but off it as well. He and his brother have been a huge part of the success over the years. I think the club needs to do what they need to do to keep them here.''

Stewart's manager Mike Newton said the former Test backrower wanted to play out his career with the Sea Eagles and he was hoping to learn soon whether the club was in a position to table an offer. ''He has been there since he was 17 with his brother and they would love to end their careers together, so I am hoping they will be able to do that,'' Newton said.

Meanwhile, Jason King has had his comeback from a shoulder reconstruction delayed and will miss the round one clash against Melbourne. King will join winger Jorge Taufua on the sidelines for round one, while David Williams is battling to be fit for the start of the season.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/kieran-foran-tips-daly-cherryevans-glenn-stewart-to-stay-at-manly-sea-eagles-20140303-340ec.html

niccipops said:
castle eagle said:
niccipops said:
Brissie Kid said:
I'd just like to mention how cute those brothers look in their Aussie jumpers and they look even better than in their Sea Eagle ones.

sorry, but i disagree.
they look best in maroon & white
Absolutely. I made an error which I will fix. I meant they look even better in their Sea Eagle ones. Cheers.

now you've made my observation on your comment looks stupid:-/
kind of fitting really...

Manly, like any club, shouldn't be penalised for building remarkable players.Gift should be allowed to play out his career at manly, which is what all fans want to see.

The sooner they bring the new salary cap rules the better.

Demetriou will sort his out next year when he gets the gig.

Maybe we could sign "Karl Pilkington" on a second tier contract and he can supplement his income with some 3rd party TV work

I agree that it's just wrong that a player who has given so much to one club should be forced to play out his last few years elsewhere.

If Greenturd wants to do something useful, he should be looking into THIS and not all the other jibberish he goes on with.

And it's not just Gift. Gallen being forced to leave the Sharks or say Thaiday having to leave the Donkeys is not right.

Hopefully the retention team gets creative with some post career deals and Gift gets to stay............as he clearly wants to do.

Chip and Chase said:
Maybe we could sign "Karl Pilkington" on a second tier contract and he can supplement his income with some 3rd party TV work

lol, I'm glad it's not just me who sees that!

6 or 7 years should be the time required for salary cap 'assistance.' 10 years is a real long time! Much longer than most players careers (maybe).

As much as I hate Newcastle, this reminds me of when Matty Johns had to leave Newcastle and go overseas (and then to the sharks). That must have been heart wrenching for Joey and Matty. It shows to me that the NRL just doesn't give a ..............

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6