Does Manly pack have enough Mongrel ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Don 't think it is the case of lacking some level of mongrel , more the intensity level of the Rif , Storm and Bunnies , even the Eels at times . Think that the controlled aggression is there , just need the consistency and less unforced errors , also definitely need Alioia and Marty to step up a bit

Mongrel is there to be tapped into, consistency is not though. There are many individual performances that have stood out, but noone has really maintained it week in, week out, which is what you get with those known leaders.

Let’s face it , every 2nd or 3rd game Keppie fires up and has a great game but as yet not consistent.

Marty I think is better off the bench now and no where near as feared as a few years ago.

Oshay Olay does a job but does not scare the **** out of the opposition.

Paseka just lumbers up , turns his back and gets tackled , occasionally he might run over a smaller player. Pillowseka I think is a name used and I agree. Might improve , dunno.

Jake is our tackle machine but has been limited by the modern game.

Guaca does his bit but his forte is in attack more so than defence.

Let’s face it , our forward pack doesn’t intimidate any other team.

It’s one of our Achilles heels.

Last edited:
To be a great forward pack they need to stay inside the ten, and pick players up and drag them back 10 metres on every play just like Penrith do, and have some trainers who can stop play at key times.

TBH mongrel is being phased out of the modern game. Aggression can so easily tipped into recklessness. I think agility, relatively good speed, and fast play the balls will be keys to the middle. Manly have never been a team with fast play the ball speed and that might be something to work on.

We have the personnel to do it next year. Important will be a better start to the year we are not using all of our energy in the regular season trying to land a top 4 spot in round 25, and then have a busted team.

NYEagle

Way off the pace and a fair bit off it to.

Teams are not scared to play our forward pack and they know get on top of our forwards turbo has not impact.

We have good ball playing forwards but no real mongrel yet.

Way off the pace and a fair bit off it to.

Teams are not scared to play our forward pack and they know get on top of our forwards turbo has not impact.

We have good ball playing forwards but no real mongrel yet.
As the top teams found the way to beat Manly isn’t stopping Tommy it’s dominating the forwards and then Tommy doesn’t get the space he needs.

That’s how the Storm and South’s beat us!!

So I missed this.... hes gone yeah. Just seen an Instagram post from our club account wishing deporting players all the best. Zac is on the last page.....
Unless there is an unknown reason for his demise -- such as retiring from the sport because of injury, or no interest in training -- then this is a big failure for our coaching staff. The lad had tons of potential and mongrel and was just what our pack needs.

Maybe the word "mongrel" can be taken a few different ways, not looking at some madmen who are under a watchful eye of the refs...probably a more old school term coaches I played under used to add intensity to the forward pack if looking a bit soft.
To give a clearer vision of my interpretation, it is a higher level of intensity and physical presence and against Storm and Rabbits we were beaten badly here....anyone who seen the Manly - Eels game would have got a glimpse, as this Eels side physically gave it to Storm and when the heat was on, Manly at the Eels home ground - bashed, hurt and intimidated them and in turn....won the game well....it had that element of Watmough, Kennedy toughness and competitiveness....this is what im more trying to relate too....
I truly expected that energetic Manly to rise in the finals, but simply didn't....the frustrating part is, it was shown previously and could have been some busted players, tired young players and the experience may have been required in 2021 and there is no doubt....this Manly side will be competitive in coming years.

So I missed this.... hes gone yeah. Just seen an Instagram post from our club account wishing deporting players all the best. Zac is on the last page.....

Not sure what this means for:

• Cade Cust (people suggested he may go)
  • Jorge Taufua (Possibly not commented on because he didn't play this season?)
  • Dylan Walker (still remains unsigned)
  • Andrew Davey (was suggested the option wasn't taken up)
  • Morgan Boyle (off contract)

Would love some commentary around them. Possibly someone in the media could interview Humphrey's to get all the intel.

The simple answer is NO ... but having said that, I believe it is more an attitude thing than a physical one ... I have been saying for 2 years that I believe Kapow is the problem ... FUKK his stats ... he has been the senior player and his total lack of emotional investments has set the agenda ... Keppie, Aloiai, Paseka, Jake and Guac are all capable of high intensity performances ... they just need a leader ... and Keppie may be that man ... ALL HAIL SHAUN THE ROOSTER ROOTER!

None. But I am sure Des will have a few options up his sleeve.
Thank you and yes agreed. I think Davey is that old school all effort guy. Not sure he is a "leader" and also not sure if he loves to defend like Jake but yes we need another in the trenches great defender who can also carry the ball and be all effort and little errors. But Davey is the "type" of player I think other guys want to play with. Now coming back from that injury and we only have had a very very brief look at him so the jury is out on his skill and defensive appetitite but he is that type of roll up your sleeves Shane Rodney type.

We are a dumb footy team that doesn't respect the foot ball and give away possession. The pack would hate that and feel frustrated by being expected to tackle nearly twice as much as their opposing forwards. The performance they produced in Round 1 against Parramatta is what is needed each and every week it was Storm like. The difference between us and the top sides is the huge difference between our best and our worst and our lack of consistency. This starts with poise and leadership on the field and when the chips have been done we have lacked that control and have fallen apart.

Team needs more grit when the going gets tough. Im not convinced that some of our leaders on field really offer that. Or we just lacked composure when we needed it

Last edited:
Thank you and yes agreed. I think Davey is that old school all effort guy. Not sure he is a "leader" and also not sure if he loves to defend like Jake but yes we need another in the trenches great defender who can also carry the ball and be all effort and little errors. But Davey is the "type" of player I think other guys want to play with. Now coming back from that injury and we only have had a very very brief look at him so the jury is out on his skill and defensive appetitite but he is that type of roll up your sleeves Shane Rodney type.
I did like what I seen from Davey early season also, but think you will find Manly are Not taking up his 2nd year option at this stage..

Is that a guess or do you have sauce ?
I just read on the NRL website - Davey is signed for 2022! If there was an option that the club had to pursue I would guess that they would not have him signed until 2022. If the option was in the players favour then they would have him as a signing for 2022 so I am guessing there is no option and he is a contracted player .... because if he was being let go wouldn't he be a 6th Sea Eagle leaving? I am calling BS on the Davey option clause.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6