Do we need to make Top 4?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Been thinking about this one;

I think with the new rules the need to make the top 4 is reduced because there's less chance of upsets, and there's less of a grind in a lot of matches.

If the ladder stays as it is now;

Week 1

1v4 Melbourne vs Eels
2v3 Panthers vs Bunnies
5v8 Manly vs Sharks
6v7 Roosters vs Dragons

In all likelihood, we roll the Sharks in that scenario. Would the recovery be almost negligible for week 2, if we see it as unlikely to roll the minor premiers in week 1 even if we do make the 4?

I was in the 5th is better than 4th camp but upon further reflection if I was given the choice I'd prefer 4th. Gives us a tough game in the first week of the finals but it's not sudden death and it's still a game of footy and anything can happen.

Even if we lose the first week it'd be like training at altitude for week 2 when we likely come up against a team that has been going flat out for the backend of the regular season and a sudden death final.

In the end 2 bites of the cherry are better than 1. Winning the GF from 5th isn't impossible but history suggests it's much harder.

Finals are hard, unlikely you get through 4 in a row without a couple of injuries. That’s why the potential week off is so important.

Definitely prefer top 4, on our day we can beat the Panthers or Storm.
On our day we can also lose to a Sharks or.......Cowboys or whoever.

Aim as high as we can

If you make the top four and win, it puts you on the opposite end of the draw to the other top four winner. Additionally as you go into a prelim you are either playing a first finals game loser who has won in week 2 or a bottom half of the 8 team to make a grand final. Either way its a much easier path to a grand final.

If your 5th you play a top four team loser in week 2 if you win your elimination final in week 1 and then have to play another top four team who has had a week off. Which is the same path anyway if we come fourth and lose.

Top 4 is ideal if we can scrape in, always better to have a second chance than sudden death. Finals footy is different and anything can happen.

Lets be honest, if you want the Premiership then you need to beat the best. Looking for the easy wins is a weak mentality. Also that potential week off for our team to recover is important.

However we have a lot of work to do and need things to fall our way to get into the 4. But how great to be even discussing options in finals vs no chance of playing.

The best chance of seeing Parra knocked out in straight sets is for us to finish 4th, play Melbourne Week 1 and shock them. Parra (5th) would then have to play Melbourne down there... That's if they get past Week 1

I think being in 4th place could be a real bonus as this game would be on the Sunday afternoon and that seems to suit our style than a night game.

Not saying Manly can't win at night, but taking Storm on in a sunny afternoon even in Melbourne could tilt the result Manly's way.

Top 4 is always where you want to be.
Sure we can win it from outside the 4 but that week off is vital if you can win week 1.
Even if you lose week 1 you still have that security of playing the next week.

Would definitely prefer fourth.

With the pace of the game today, at the end if a a long season the two teams that get the weeks rest will be primed to take the trophy at the end of the day.

I’d fancy us playing Storm, who we step up against, and turning up which would mean we would avoid playing storm or panthers and be a clear run home for the grand final.

If we beat storm they would have the beat the loser of 2nd v 3rd (souths or eels) and then would play penrith in the prelim. We would then have to play souths or eels with a weeks rest to make the GF which I would consider us short favs for.

4th much better than 5th but a game against the Storm will still be very tough.

Been thinking about this one;

I think with the new rules the need to make the top 4 is reduced because there's less chance of upsets, and there's less of a grind in a lot of matches.

If the ladder stays as it is now;

Week 1

1v4 Melbourne vs Eels
2v3 Panthers vs Bunnies
5v8 Manly vs Sharks
6v7 Roosters vs Dragons

In all likelihood, we roll the Sharks in that scenario. Would the recovery be almost negligible for week 2, if we see it as unlikely to roll the minor premiers in week 1 even if we do make the 4?
Buzz obviously read your post because he espoused the same scenario four hours later on NRL 360.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10