Do we actually want to finish in the Top 4?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Blake A

Reserve Grader
Before everyone thinks I'm crazy (although it may be true), hear me out. If we finish 4th, we would likely have to go down to Melbourne. I'm not saying we couldn't win that.... but I actually think we would be better off finishing 5th (playing at Brookvale in Week 1), and then (quite possibly) staying in Sydney to play Souths in Week 2, assuming they were to finish 4th. I know this sounds crazy, and possibly is, but what does everyone think?

Before everyone thinks I'm crazy (although it may be true), hear me out. If we finish 4th, we would likely have to go down to Melbourne. I'm not saying we couldn't win that.... but I actually think we would be better off finishing 5th (playing at Brookvale in Week 1), and then (quite possibly) staying in Sydney to play Souths in Week 2, assuming they were to finish 4th. I know this sounds crazy, and possibly is, but what does everyone think?

Blakey, Blakey, Blakey ..... before I am able to give you the correct answer to your question .... I need the following info .... who is going to finish 8th .... and are we guaranteed to be able to beat them ? ....

Ask Des and let us know what he says.
I think we know the answer.

Blakey, Blakey, Blakey ..... before I am able to give you the correct answer to your question .... I need the following info .... who is going to finish 8th .... and are we guaranteed to be able to beat them ? ....
I cannot provide you with that information at this stage sorry :p

Top 4 get 2 chances!!! If you lose you still get to play again. Bottom 4 you lose you’re out! I’d rather have 2 bites of the cherry. So what if we play the Storm in Melbourne? I don’t mind that at all. Yes a home final would be great but that’s a risk. Like I said lose you’re out.

Catch 22, finish 4th and you play Melbourne. Can afford to lose and play week two.
Finish 5th or 6th and you get a home game but lose that and its time for Mad Monday.

I would rather the season finish with losing 2 finals than lose just the one in the first week to end the season.
Gives the players more experience.
In saying that I really hope we don't lose any games during the finals.

I get where you’re coming from...

But there’s a reason that no team has ever won the competition from outside of the top 4..

Easy answer. If you don’t want to finish in the top 4, you don’t want to win the competition.
Nobody will win this from outside the top 4.
(Yeah, we would rather finish 3rd than 4th, but it’s pretty unlikely).

If we actually want to win the competition it's a no brainer, try to finish 4th and win the first game and you are sitting pretty for a trip to the grand final.
On the other hand, sure a home final would be fun if we aren't seriously trying to win the comp this year, , but... come on, let's get serious here!

Yes.

Everyone is grossly overstating the importance of playing at Brookvale.

It's not more important than a crack at winning the first final and having an entire week off, or a chance to survive week one of the finals if we lose.

To make Top 4 gives 2 chances plus....to make Top 4 also builds belief and all this stuff about Storm, sure they are tough to beat and especially at home, but havn't Manly already shown recent seasons its not only possible but won the last 2 there??....and what a Massive boost to meet and beat them in Finals footy !!
If Manly squeeze into the Top 4, only 3 wins away from a GF victory for the archives and winning the first Final is the Ultimate pathway to Glory!!

In 2017 we flogged the panthers in the last round or 2nd last round in an amaazing performance. Then week one finals we got bundled out by the same team. Gota go for top 4!!
To be fair, that was that fluffy twit Barrett having no idea how to handle team swagger.
But you're definitely right!

No brainer. Top 4 over 5th any day of the week .

Part 2 question = If we finish 4 and happen to lose week 1, don't we then get a home final anyway in week 2 as we'll be playing a team below us on the ladder?

I dont understand the hype of playing a home final in week 1.

We haven’t been, and I don’t believe we have been, given the go ahead for a Brookie final. Happy to be proven wrong.
Regardless, we have to get top 4.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8