Disappointed in Glenn Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We will never know the truth EVER, and the reason for this is there are so many different "versions" of what went down.

I think all, some or none (tongue in cheek here) of this took place (which means I know **** all!!)

*The retention committee wanted him but couldn't fit him into the existing salary cap so no offer was made.

*The retention committee wanted him, but a lot of things had to fall into place (some of which didn't happen to later in the year "a la Jason King retirement") and so were unable to make an offer at that point in time.

*The retention committee wanted him, made a low offer (which was rejected) and he then signed with Souths.

*The retention committee wanted him, discussed an offer subject to a lot of things coming together later in the year but were not able to table an offer at that point, this was rejected and he signed with Souths before allowing the year to be completed.

*The retention committee just plain didn't want him any more (injury prone, best years gone etc etc) and that was it.

But regardless we won't find out the truth, even if Gifty "dumps all" after his departure (which sadly I expect) it will be "his version" of the affairs.

And then we have the Greeks version, Phil Sidneys version, Scott Penn's version, David Perry's version, Choc Watmough's version and so on and so forth and EVERY one of them will have a different slant, so unless you were in the room, unless you have a recording of all the discussions its simply just one lot of BS verses another lot of BS.

And don't let me start on the Journo's versions as well....god help us there.

Personally I cannot wait until the Football season is over, and that for me is the saddest thing I have ever said....usually I am saying the opposite, even if Manly isn't in the competition any longer, sure I'd love to win a GF but there's Buckley's chance of that happening and come Sunday (probably Monday or at worst be the end of next week) the blood letting will begin...and gee I am looking forward to that.....NOT

All this **** and the way its being played out in the media, the way the No Real Leadership is run in general, the clear Anti-Manly bias we have seen in the way the finals have been run, the inconsistancies of the MRC and the Judiciary, Todd Greenturd, the Refereeing, Chan Nein (and the list goes on) has TOTALLY spoilt 2014 for me.

I think this lot has "just about" ruined the game......its a bare shadow of its former self.

Rant over.....time for a Coffee to calm me down!!

bones said:
tookey said:
Lets hope that he keeps his silence long after he has left manly.

I hope he doesn't. I want him to tell all so I know who is to blame for costing us the minor premiership and any chance of premiership #9.

Bearing in mind Bones, it would only be his opinion. I doubt you could point the finger at any one individual for how this season has played out, hell it could still end up good despite how things are looking but if that's to be the case they need to pull together in one direction. IMO injuries have been the number 1 factor of late, we have guys missing and some playing with injuries. Sure the off field stuff has played a part, but how much, we will never really know.

Masked Eagle said:
bones said:
tookey said:

I hope he doesn't. I want him to tell all so I know who is to blame for costing us the minor premiership and any chance of premiership #9.

Bearing in mind Bones, it would only be his opinion. I doubt you could point the finger at any one individual for how this season has played out, hell it could still end up good despite how things are looking but if that's to be the case they need to pull together in one direction. IMO injuries have been the number 1 factor of late, we have guys missing and some playing with injuries. Sure the off field stuff has played a part, but how much, we will never really know.

To anyone blaming injuries I have one word.
Penrith.

Duff said:
Masked Eagle said:
bones said:
tookey said:

Penrith.

You are correct injuries don't mean anything. I'm surprised we even pay anyone, we should just pick 17 random guys off the street and having them put on a Manly jumper each week should be enough to win games! tic of course!

Penrith are different but they've been lucky. Lucky with the draw they've had, lucky they've had depth in the right positions. Would they be going better if they had guys like Peachey available? Perhaps. Would they have won on the weekend if it was Dave Simmons and not DWZ on the wing? Maybe not. What about if it was Soward instead of Wallace who got injured, would they have won on the weekend, I doubt it.

No doubt our effort should have been better against the bunnies, and probably for the last few weeks, but to say injuries don't matter is just unrealistic. Its not even necessarily the guys who aren't playing but we all know Taufua, Lawrence and DCE have been playing at less then 100% for most of this season. Its surely been a factor?

My most recent recollection of when our team was dismantled led to the Northern Eagle joint venture. After 97 the players started disappearing and we slid down the road of also rans. We still had Tooves, Beaver and Cliffy, but we were playing the rebuild game. It seemed not many had thought of future rosters. This time I believe we are mindful of those years. Tooves was there and I am sure he will not let it happen on his watch...despite Des doing his best in 2011. Toovey is a smart operator, and I believe he saw this day coming and has prepared accordingly. Let's hope so anyway

Jerry1 said:
eagleE said:
I must say that with the issues involving the team, Glenn Stewart could have stood up, fronted the media and said to the other players publicly that they should mind their own business. What happened to him was nothing to do with them and that they should concentrate on Manly doing their best this season. I think he also should have said that it is a honour to play for the Sea Eagles and for them to continue on with that.

This would have highlighted a few things
1. He is a leader of men and not to be messed with.
2. He respects Manly and was privileged to be a part of it.
3. He cared for his brother and his mates and wants what is good for them. It would have showed the solidarity within the playing ranks.
4. It would have left him in good with the club and its fans. I for one cant wait for him to leave and to take Choc with him. I would hate for Skivvy to leave as well as Snake but would not be completely upset as we got some good talent coming through. It can free up some cash to buy up which we have not done.

There are probably other things that would have benefitted the club, his team mates and himself by doing that that I cannot think of.

I love the fact that he showed great leadership in the battle of brooky and said you cant mess with us. This season he needed to do the same.
The next time you get shafted and fired perhaps you will stand up for the mongrels who shafted you mr meek and mild. Me, I'd call them a bunch of ... and move along.

Good on him - he's more a manly legend than any of those ****eheads in board room.

Edit - didn't mean this post to sound aggressive as it does when I read it back. What I meant to say is if you get shafted you don't stand up for those who did it.

I recently went through a very similar situation and all it left me with was a very bitter taste.

Jerry, he should have kept up appearances. I know he doesn't like the media or the spotlight. I'm sure he cares about his brother and his team mates, but I think a lot of trouble could have been spared by him making a few comments in public along the lines of the legacy created and continuing the legacy and to not ruin theirs.
As somebody else posted he cannot show it on the field and I don't expect a lovefest from towards the board but to show leadership towards his team mates.

I respectfully disagree

Here is a player who clearly loves the club. A player, by all reports, wanted to stay. A player who had his association terminated by the club not by his choosing.

This is also a player who is a club legend and a key part of our recent golden run. If he does not want to talk who are the club to come out and force him?

To be honest the line that I find borderline offensive in your post is this

"I for one cant wait for him to leave and to take Choc with him"

Why? Even though I think it is silly i can understand how some might be swayed by the media reports about Choc but what has Glenn done apart from keep a respectful silence?

Do you honestly think he does not have reporters contacting him all the time trying to get him to add fuel to the fire? he might choose to do so after the finals but I just do not understand how you can be disappointed in him

Be disappointed in the NRL and the lack of a brookie semi
Be disappointed in channel 9's clear bias towards Brisbane
Be disappointed that a player, effectivley a local juniour, who has served this club with distinction for a number of years is being forced out due to the salary cap

Or just enjoy the fact that we support the greatest team in league (if not across all codes)

rant over

Duff said:
Penrith.
I agree that Penrith have done a fantastic job considering their injury load. They have achieved above and beyond so well done to them.
They do have in their advantage an NSW Cup team who are runaway minor premiers. Not discrediting what they have achieved at all just stating that they have better reserve options than we do to cover their injuries.

lsz said:
I respectfully disagree

Here is a player who clearly loves the club. A player, by all reports, wanted to stay. A player who had his association terminated by the club not by his choosing.

This is also a player who is a club legend and a key part of our recent golden run. If he does not want to talk who are the club to come out and force him?

Why? Even though I think it is silly i can understand how some might be swayed by the media reports about Choc but what has Glenn done apart from keep a respectful silence?

Do you honestly think he does not have reporters contacting him all the time trying to get him to add fuel to the fire? he might choose to do so after the finals but I just do not understand how you can be disappointed in him

Be disappointed that a player, effectivley a local juniour, who has served this club with distinction for a number of years is being forced out due to the salary cap

Or just enjoy the fact that we support the greatest team in league (if not across all codes)

rant over

Not fair your rant is longer than my rant earlier today !!

And biggest isn't alway best, it's what you do with it!!

lsz said:
I respectfully disagree

rant over

Evenin Isz.

I totally agree with you mate.
People just love to kick ones guts in when they are down.
For heavens sake Silvertail Supporters, these guys have done us proud over many years.
It was ok to cheer when things were going our way and now some are on their way and have made their way - they want to kick posteriors.

I have said it before and I will say it again and again.
The NRL Salary Cap is honestly stuffing and bleeding the game in Australia.
Players should be allowed to die with the club of their choice. If they cant any longer play, they can be transitioned across to admin or coaching staff roles.
Wouldnt you love your kid to be shown by DCE or Snake correctness in technique.
I'd love some kids to be shown by J. Thurston how the hell he gets that ball curling over the crossbar, or is it under remote control.

Again (I quote), take a look at EPL in UK and pick three big name players and they alone could wipe NRL's total value out here in Oz. Tuff titty if English Football (soccer) is out of its range and overly priced but that's what the English and us World Club followers want and support. You want big European names you need big bucks.

I only hope NRL and Administrators dont cut off their nose to spite their face because A-League is waiting. Give A-League more playing space and crowds with bums on seats (paying spectators) and that means more cashflow ($$$$$'s), better players (including marquee guest players) and bigger future support.

Wake up NRL because you are "crucifying" the NRL Clubs.

I really think there should be concessions for long serving players, but 6 years should be the figure, not 10. Part of the theatre of Rugby League is players bleeding for the jumper, and a fans attachment to his/her heroes. The game is robbing the fans of such an important facet of supporting a club. These players go out and wear the jumper every week just like those sitting on the hill at Brookvale; they are as much a part of the club as we are. I'm with Arko; I am still very upset about Glenn leaving.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6