Disappointed in Glenn Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The truth behind Glenn Stewarts departure and the mutiny at the Eagles.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/loss-of-glenn-stewart-to-south-sydney-rabbitohs-still-rankles-manly-sea-eagles-board-20140913-10glt5.html

Loss of Glenn Stewart to South Sydney Rabbitohs still rankles Manly Sea Eagles board
Manly have gone to great lengths to say the club has dealt with the controversial decision not to make an offer to Glenn Stewart – but it was still an issue at...
SMH.COM.AU

MPC75 said:
Mitch said:
I may well be in the minority, but is there really a need for all these continually negative threads. I understand how passionate everyone on here is and just how tough this year (in particular the last month or so) has been, but constant bagging of players and or the club when no one really knows what has gone on behind the scenes does nothing to improve the situation.

The reality is we still have a team in the final 3 weeks of the competition, no matter how depleted they are, so let's enjoy that considering a lot of other supporters don't get to share in the type of success we've had and probably never will.

Count me in that minority group. That makes 2 of us

Happy to be in the minority too , I'm 3.

It really sucks what is happening ATM.
What's worse ten fold though is the amount of negativity being thrown around this forum towards the players, coaching staff and even between individual posters.

The whole situation is unpleasant, mostly unwarranted and most definetley un Manly.

If you guys really need to put the boot in, can you at least wait until the footy season is finished.Whether that is Saturday, next week or even the week after.

I'm sorry Harry but I read this article and to me but seems a little " contrived ", I'm not sure I take anything from this at all.

Mark from Brisbane said:
I'm sorry Harry but I read this article and to me but seems a little " contrived ", I'm not sure I take anything from this at all.

Pretty spot on from people close to the action. I put it out there anyway

Daveagle said:
MPC75 said:
Mitch said:
I may well be in the minority, but is there really a need for all these continually negative threads. I understand how passionate everyone on here is and just how tough this year (in particular the last month or so) has been, but constant bagging of players and or the club when no one really knows what has gone on behind the scenes does nothing to improve the situation.

The reality is we still have a team in the final 3 weeks of the competition, no matter how depleted they are, so let's enjoy that considering a lot of other supporters don't get to share in the type of success we've had and probably never will.

Count me in that minority group. That makes 2 of us

Happy to be in the minority too , I'm 3.

It really sucks what is happening ATM.
What's worse ten fold though is the amount of negativity being thrown around this forum towards the players, coaching staff and even between individual posters.

The whole situation is unpleasant, mostly unwarranted and most definetley un Manly.

If you guys really need to put the boot in, can you at least wait until the footy season is finished.Whether that is Saturday, next week or even the week after.
#4. Go Manly!

For it is worth I think Glenn has been quite honourable in all this! Would be gut wrenching for him not to receive an offer. If we did not have half a dozen top class players all retiring at the same time or thereabouts he would have been signed up in a heartbeat
As for the story by Wielder the only part that I hope is true is that we are shopping around for some big boppers! I am sure this is to replace Kingy not Choc as indicated. As for disappointment I do feel this way about Choc for not speaking up and defending the club knowing the media is interpreting this as descent and all that crisis BS. He has put himself ahead of the club

The unfortunate thing for Manly's fans and management has been Gift's injury. If he had been on the field for the last couple of months, instead of in the stand, we all would have benefited. Some posters here wanting him to say something could have watched his actions speak louder on the field.

So that leaves him in the stand. He has had to walk the line between saying he didn't want to leave Manly, and support for his future employer. Other players that have signed with other clubs have put up video in their new (rugby) team jumper, or worn their new jumper to a press conference. Sometimes silence is a better option.

I commend Manly's management for providing us with a successful and entertaining team for the last decade. As part of that I reasonably expect our management and club captains (not Choc, not Gift) to be the ones to deal with the motivation of the players.

eagleE said:
I must say that with the issues involving the team, Glenn Stewart could have stood up, fronted the media and said to the other players publicly that they should mind their own business. What happened to him was nothing to do with them and that they should concentrate on Manly doing their best this season. I think he also should have said that it is a honour to play for the Sea Eagles and for them to continue on with that.

This would have highlighted a few things
1. He is a leader of men and not to be messed with.
2. He respects Manly and was privileged to be a part of it.
3. He cared for his brother and his mates and wants what is good for them. It would have showed the solidarity within the playing ranks.
4. It would have left him in good with the club and its fans. I for one cant wait for him to leave and to take Choc with him. I would hate for Skivvy to leave as well as Snake but would not be completely upset as we got some good talent coming through. It can free up some cash to buy up which we have not done.

There are probably other things that would have benefitted the club, his team mates and himself by doing that that I cannot think of.

I love the fact that he showed great leadership in the battle of brooky and said you cant mess with us. This season he needed to do the same.
The next time you get shafted and fired perhaps you will stand up for the mongrels who shafted you mr meek and mild. Me, I'd call them a bunch of ****s and move along.

Good on him - he's more a manly legend than any of those ****eheads in board room.

Edit - didn't mean this post to sound aggressive as it does when I read it back. What I meant to say is if you get shafted you don't stand up for those who did it.

I recently went through a very similar situation and all it left me with was a very bitter taste.

It doesn't make sense to me to blame the player who wasn't wanted and had to go find employment somewhere else. It isn't his job to motivate or lead the team. He has not spoken to the media since 2009 and to expect him to make public statements under the circumstances he finds himself in is ridiculous. His ability to say nothing to inflame the situation is commendable in my eyes.

Seriously when will this ever end, if we had of retained Glenn someone else had to go.

Name one high salary senior player that should of been released ahead of Glenn---the club did not want to extend his contract plain and simple.

Tough decisions have to be made in the rebuilding process-- Manly should of been more up front from the outset that Glenn was not in their long term plans--- easier said than done when the Stewarts are a big part of the culture of the club.

In terms of raw performance numbers it was the correct decision and I'm sure if this was happening in the "2005-2009 Manly Stimulus years" money would be found for a legend.

I do think a few low cost forward purchases and contract extensions have been rushed decisions that could of been used to make some kind of offer to Glenn but in the end our win loss ratio for the year without Glenn was no different to previous years.

So much harder to be up front with a legend that you would love to keep if there was no salary cap but can't justify keeping other than he is well respected by team-mates and a decent ball player.

As we can already see the forward stocks are weak our go forward and front row aggression is lacking and players want to keep a player that is past his prime and does not rectify areas of immediate concern.

Glenn is a perfect purchase for a club full of forward stocks and can add some right side ballplaying options--- or a club trying to get into the 8 again needing a leader to toughen up the squad or entice other players to sign.

Manly need forwards on top of needing to have money left over to at least make a competitive offer for Foran and DCE.

The main issue I have with DCE is that his value has increased so quickly off the back of coming into an already established classy backline and GF winning squad. The class of our Senior players have helped drive his value up faster than it normally would have.

Can you imagine DCE coming into the squad as it is now or even worse with half the internationals do you really think his value would rise as quickly as it has. I understand why some players might be p*&sed off that they are losing out when their talents and building/maintaining the clubs culture have helped DCE's value rise so quickly.

You make your own luck you can't blame DCE for the lucky position he was in, developing fast as a player in the perfect playing group environment winning a GF and hoping for a quick top up.

I doubt any of the so called senior playing group at the same age under the same perfect case scenario of winning a GF in their first year would not use that to negotiate a better deal, on the other hand I totally understand their view point of helping his value due to their hard work and presence.

Technical Coach said:
Seriously when will this ever end, if we had of retained Glenn someone else had to go.

Name one high salary senior player that should of been released ahead of Glenn---the club did not want to extend his contract plain and simple.

Tough decisions have to be made in the rebuilding process-- Manly should of been more up front from the outset that Glenn was not in their long term plans--- easier said than done when the Stewarts are a big part of the culture of the club.

In terms of raw performance numbers it was the correct decision and I'm sure if this was happening in the "2005-2009 Manly Stimulus years" money would be found for a legend.

I do think a few low cost forward purchases and contract extensions have been rushed decisions that could of been used to make some kind of offer to Glenn but in the end our win loss ratio for the year without Glenn was no different to previous years.

So much harder to be up front with a legend that you would love to keep if there was no salary cap but can't justify keeping other than he is well respected by team-mates and a decent ball player.

As we can already see the forward stocks are weak our go forward and front row aggression is lacking and players want to keep a player that is past his prime and does not rectify areas of immediate concern.

Glenn is a perfect purchase for a club full of forward stocks and can add some right side ballplaying options--- or a club trying to get into the 8 again needing a leader to toughen up the squad or entice other players to sign.

Manly need forwards on top of needing to have money left over to at least make a competitive offer for Foran and DCE.

The main issue I have with DCE is that his value has increased so quickly off the back of coming into an already established classy backline and GF winning squad. The class of our Senior players have helped drive his value up faster than it normally would have.

Can you imagine DCE coming into the squad as it is now or even worse with half the internationals do you really think his value would rise as quickly as it has. I understand why some players might be p*&sed off that they are losing out when their talents and building/maintaining the clubs culture have helped DCE's value rise so quickly.

You make your own luck you can't blame DCE for the lucky position he was in, developing fast as a player in the perfect playing group environment winning a GF and hoping for a quick top up.

I doubt any of the so called senior playing group at the same age under the same perfect case scenario of winning a GF in their first year would not use that to negotiate a better deal, on the other hand I totally understand their view point of helping his value due to their hard work and presence.

Yawn - we all know the club didn't want him. Sorry you are no messiah and not spouting any revelations we don't already know.

The way the did it stringing him in was wrong but that's manly's ****e management for you. Nothing more expected of those bunch of amateurs.

Jerry1 said:
Technical Coach said:

Yawn - we all know the club didn't want him. Sorry you are messiah and not spouting any revelations we don't already know.

The way the did it stringing him in was wrong but that's manly's ****e management for you. Nothing more expected of those bunch of amateurs.

Not suggesting that drop kick---he was stringed along for more than one reason, not all based off not wanting him.

1)Hard to be up front to a legend I would like to see you do it but hey that is what management is paid to do.

2)The club might have appeared to be stringing him along but were trying to keep their options open if they could justify keeping him or make room in the cap for his retention---if the club gave a no answer straight away there is no going back.

3)Players need to be open minded and not just take the easy "us against the club" mentality it's not always as simple or deceitful as it seems.

4)I should of re-worded my original post "the coach and retention/recruitment in my opinion probably were more against retaining Glenn more than "the club" as I stated and underestimated the impact it had on the playing group.

It's pretty clear that we, as members, are never going to find out the truth.

We are just not part of that inner sanctum. And what makes it worse is that the media have no qualms printing lies to sell papers so again, we can't put much stock in what is written there.

The only ones who really know what went on will probably never reveal the truth. And what's the truth anyway. You can almost be guaranteed that there are a few versions of events out there.

Personally, I wish Gift had stayed. And I don't want to believe the club we all love would disrespect someone who has given his guts. But deep down I think there was some distasteful things said and done.

For me, it's a lot more palatable to think the club would have paid the money to keep him had the NRL allowed a bigger percentage of his salary to be outside the cap. I have no problem directing hatred at the NRL. And if I'm naive, then so be it.

Shoe1 said:
I am sorry to say Ryan Hoffman did a good job in a similar situation.

Hoffman does not have a Brother in the side that makes it harder to separate the two and has left before and come back due to the salary cap.

Jerry1 said:
Technical Coach said:

Yawn - we all know the club didn't want him. Sorry you are no messiah and not spouting any revelations we don't already know.

Those amateurs have Manly in a better financial state than the previous amateurs.

Technical Coach said:
Shoe1 said:
I am sorry to say Ryan Hoffman did a good job in a similar situation.

Hoffman does not have a Brother in the side that makes it harder to separate the two and has left before and come back due to the salary cap.

Jerry1 said:
Technical Coach said:

Those amateurs have Manly in a better financial state than the previous amateurs.

Maybe, we'll see won't we after this season.
I'm sure the sponsors will be rolling in and membership will be doubled.

Well since Gifty signing with Souths, Manly have signed Kyocera and Daikin - so Sponsors are rolling in. :cool:

The Coaching Staff need to have full control of the rosters, and abide by the Salary Cap rules - its just the business of Sport :sleepy:

Good luck to Gifty at his new Club, it may freshen him up mentally :angel:
Kitey said as much about his move to Penrith :)

Gift not getting an extension in my opinion has only brought matters to a head in regards to the senior playing group versus the younger guys - DCE, Buhrer etc 6 months to a year early. We were set for a collision course with our big guns Choc, Matai, Foran & DCE coming off contract in 2015. There was always going to be a scrap between players over the salary cap & a fight to get the biggest piece of the pie.

I can only hope that David Perry has learnt a valuable lesson in people management in regards to this episode. He appears to be good with the financials of the club but there is more to a CEO's* job than balancing the books.

* Is he our CEO now or still the COO??

Mals said:
Gift not getting an extension in my opinion has only brought matters to a head in regards to the senior playing group versus the younger guys - DCE, Buhrer etc 6 months to a year early. We were set for a collision course with our big guns Choc, Matai, Foran & DCE coming off contract in 2015. There was always going to be a scrap between players over the salary cap & a fight to get the biggest piece of the pie.

I can only hope that David Perry has learnt a valuable lesson in people management in regards to this episode. He appears to be good with the financials of the club but there is more to a CEO's* job than balancing the books.

* Is he our CEO now or still the COO??
Exactly, that's why choc and matai panicked a year out from their contracts ending, and why dce and foran said they'll wait until next year before looking at their contracts. Imagine the bs they would have had to cop from the older blokes if they extended this year.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6