Did you know that we almost signed Todd Carney?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Just reading his book, Hard Truth, now. At the end of 2008 he was coming off contract with Canberra. The 'Riff tried to poach him but "I didn't fancy living in Sydney's far west".
He got a "tempting offer from Manly and they were a strong team" so he agreed with Des to join Manly in 2009.
He told Canberra of his decision but then "the heat was on".
Coach Neil Henry told him he had extended his time with Canberra and Carney was a big part of his plans. "No way could I let him down and leave".
Meninga also got involved and "I caved. The pressure got to me"
The phone call to Des was daunting, but according to Carney Des said: You're still a young bloke. Maybe we can work together at other clubs in the future."
(that sounds dodgy to me. If true I don't like the fact that Des was planning to join another club two years before he did)
"Sadly I quickly came to rue my decision." A week later Henry told him he'd accepted to coach the Cowboys.
"Henry was the major reason I re-signed with Canberra. I felt let down and used. I should have taken the Manly offer. It was the right time to move on and I would have avoided what became a nightmare year at Canberra".

As most of you will remember Carney got sacked in 2009 and Canberra insisted he be banned from playing NRL for the next season. He played for Atherton in FNQ, and then Easts bought him.
He helped take Easts to the grand final, won the Dally M award for the sport's best player, and was selected in the Australian side. I'm only half-way though the book but it is clear that he was more harshly treated by the NRL than several other players. He was silly and reckless when on the drink, but never violent.

Just reading his book, Hard Truth, now. At the end of 2008 he was coming off contract with Canberra. The 'Riff tried to poach him but "I didn't fancy living in Sydney's far west".
He got a "tempting offer from Manly and they were a strong team" so he agreed with Des to join Manly in 2009.
He told Canberra of his decision but then "the heat was on".
Coach Neil Henry told him he had extended his time with Canberra and Carney was a big part of his plans. "No way could I let him down and leave".
Meninga also got involved and "I caved. The pressure got to me"
The phone call to Des was daunting, but according to Carney Des said: You're still a young bloke. Maybe we can work together at other clubs in the future."
(that sounds dodgy to me. If true I don't like the fact that Des was planning to join another club two years before he did)
"Sadly I quickly came to rue my decision." A week later Henry told him he'd accepted to coach the Cowboys.
"Henry was the major reason I re-signed with Canberra. I felt let down and used. I should have taken the Manly offer. It was the right time to move on and I would have avoided what became a nightmare year at Canberra".

As most of you will remember Carney got sacked in 2009 and Canberra insisted he be banned from playing NRL for the next season. He played for Atherton in FNQ, and then Easts bought him.
He helped take Easts to the grand final, won the Dally M award for the sport's best player, and was selected in the Australian side. I'm only half-way though the book but it is clear that he was more harshly treated by the NRL than several other players. He was silly and reckless when on the drink, but never violent.
If he joined Many then, everything would have been a "piece of pi$$" for Todd

I doubt Des was thinking about leaving in 2008.
Carney would have been a great buy at the time as a player but I'm glad it fell through, Foran was a better player at the time.

Pretty sure the season launch of 2009 was bad enough with Brett and Anthony getting into trouble, how much worse could it have been if Carney was there.

From what I've read, it was when his father started suffering from dementia & the resultant disinterest in Todd's footy career (after having been an avid fan & driving force behind him) that Carney really went off the rails, so it doesnt surprise me that things went awry for him when Henry left after Carney had re-signed with Canberra under the belief he'd be his coach.

Poor bloke just needed a strong father figure as coach.

Todd Carney became something of a whipping boy, all because of the Media's push to get stories out there about him. He became an embarrassment. He did some stupid things, but far less serious than others who are now playing. He was a talented young fellow, who with the right coach could have thrived. The NRL reaction to his stupid behaviour, was over the top in my opinion.

Todd Carney became something of a whipping boy, all because of the Media's push to get stories out there about him. He became an embarrassment. He did some stupid things, but far less serious than others who are now playing. He was a talented young fellow, who with the right coach could have thrived. The NRL reaction to his stupid behaviour, was over the top in my opinion.
Yep. In his second year at Easts he clashed with coach Brian Smith who told him he didn't deserve to win the Dally M the previous year and that it was just an NRL PR stunt to give the media a feel-good redemption story! Wow. Great way for a coach to gain a player's respect.
Apparently Politis had to instruct Smith to apologise to Carney for the slur, but the rift continued and Carney left for Cronulla the next season.
Smith doesn't seem to be the best man-manager, having being sacked from several clubs.

Almost joined Manly at the start of last season on a play and trial basis until the Manly board ruled against it . Very disrupted N R L career and certainly did not help his cause with some erratic off field conduct but his rating as a very talented player could never be in question .

• 🤝
Reactions: R3
It's just Des wisely not burning his bridges with this bloke, no need to read too much into this.

Supreme talent (in 2008) and while I don't know him and can't comment on his head, oh what a footballer. Who knows what would have happened in this "sliding doors" moment.

It's just Des wisely not burning his bridges with this bloke, no need to read too much into this.

Supreme talent (in 2008) and while I don't know him and can't comment on his head, oh what a footballer. Who knows what would have happened in this "sliding doors" moment.
Hope the Sliding Door"s runners were stronger then that dressing door hinges that Des attended to .

From what I've read, it was when his father started suffering from dementia & the resultant disinterest in Todd's footy career (after having been an avid fan & driving force behind him) that Carney really went off the rails, so it doesnt surprise me that things went awry for him when Henry left after Carney had re-signed with Canberra under the belief he'd be his coach.

Poor bloke just needed a strong father figure as coach.
Can’t tell the stories I’ve heard about his father. Enough to say that I’ve always felt for the kid and excused every silly thing he did.

As an aside it shows how little we (fans) really know about what is going on re player recruitment and retention

So many players like Carney. Barba, Ash Taylor et al. So much talent but too immature to deal with all the money they get. I blame their managers as they should be responsible in managing their money and
Setting them up for life.

Yes, some are just ‘doosh bags’ and even in the 70s and 80s and they’ve always been in the game. In the past the game, their club and their mates protected them, but it’s open season now with Social Media. Lots of stuff always happened but it was buried.

There’s two problems
1) Under 25 years and earn over $300k (average)
2) Minimum18 hours free time a day

Says it all really.

In the 70s and 80s all the players had full time jobs and got leave for training. There was minimal leisure time, the same as most of us.

Last edited:
Almost joined Manly at the start of last season on a play and trial basis until the Manly board ruled against it . Very disrupted N R L career and certainly did not help his cause with some erratic off field conduct but his rating as a very talented player could never be in question .
Not quite how Carney reports it in his book. He blames Greenturd for blocking his path to Manly where he believes he would have settled in well alongside DCE. From his book:
"Greenburg and his men were letting other blokes who had done far worse then me back into the game (he goes on to cite the Matt Lodge situation) but with me they would have nothing of it."

Not quite how Carney reports it in his book. He blames Greenturd for blocking his path to Manly where he believes he would have settled in well alongside DCE. From his book:
"Greenburg and his men were letting other blokes who had done far worse then me back into the game (he goes on to cite the Matt Lodge situation) but with me they would have nothing of it."
@The Who . Thinking of buying the book. Would you recommend it?

At nearly 30 years of age .... and with a chequered history .... you still think it is a good idea to get pissed and pretend to piss in your own mouth in front of gooses (geese) with cameras .... I would say you have bigger issues than a poor coach ....

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6