Did we sign Hodkinson to be an 'off the bench' hooker?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Elgey as back up for Hodko during normal season (off bench/in event of injury) to set sail with a steady hand, then Elgey in for DCE during Origin duties.

Fainu on the bench to spell Api too.

2 halves on the bench? Maybe, maybe not but I do recall Des playing in a team that also contained Tooves, Cliffy & Serdaris so I suspect he may well be pleased with the halves depth he has for 2019.

Two , three years ago we had a new team, a lot of young inexperienced players .... and we needed the "Green" type steady influence ..

We now have the the same team with 2 years experience ...... fukk steady .... we are ready to go balls to the wall attack .... we need a young nippy creative 5/8 that rips tits and tears .....

Steady is so 2017 ....

I would like to see how each player starts 2019 before I say no to any one .
2018 is the past .
100% agree Bozo. A poor team can make a good player look poor/average. A good team can make a poor/average player look good. Last year we were poor, I reckon this year we will be good.

And to illustrate my point, Melbourne made Anthony Quinn look so good that he played state of origin FFS!

Im all for some off season optimism but Hodko has been busted for 3 years.

If if he is starting 5/8 then I am seriously worried

I dont have him in my 17.

He is a handy ressie as he can cover 6 7 and 9 but it's a spine of turbo, LG, DCE and Api for me with fainu as utility/hooker rotation.

Need to invest in the future not a guy with 1 season left

When people question whether Hodko should be in the squad, I cast my mind back to the Penrith game at Gouldrith, when he was an instrumental part in Manly winning. Winning the odd game like that as the season dragged on, was instrumental in Manly avoiding their first ever ‘spoon in 1st grade.

And before anyone says ‘What about the games we lost?’ Hodkinson was part of some of that too - once he rejoined. But Manly’s season was effectively gone when he came onboard and Barrett tended to use him sparingly.

Early in the year, Manly could and should have beaten Newcastle twice, Easts and the Gold Coast, to set up a solid season. None of that was Hodkinson’s fault.

There are examples littering RL’s history of players with shot knee/leg injuries still making an effective contribution. The grey stuff between the ears - that’s what really counts.

At the risk of precipitating a "Manly Star Trent Hodkinson in Bizarre Aardvark Sex Tape" headline, it also helps that he's a bloke with experience and strong character. When you've got a young squad, it helps to have guys like Hodko around to show them what it means to be a solid footy player and a good man. He might not get a lot of game time, but he'll be a steady, calming influence on the field and off.

Trent wasn't really a standout for the Knights and didn't crack the starting 13 at the Sharks. He came back to us almost by default, due to the Hastings debacle, then with Croker doing his ACL we didn't really have a #6.

To me, he didn't look very quick nor mobile for us last year, which made him look a bit pedestrian in defence, along with most of our team in 2018. But he is nonetheless an origin winning halfback.

With a defined role and hopefully staying injury free (unlikely as that may seem) he will hopefully start hitting his best form again.

Des is a harsh marker. So if he gives Trent first shot at the #6 jersey over Elgey, Cust, Metcalf and Croker, he will have deserved it.

Hodko’s big worry is his defence the past 3 years has definitely got weaker and weaker.
Last year His defence was diabolical Miss ing crucial tackles that led to breaks ending in tries. And he missed goals that could have won us games .

Hodko has plenty to offer and my gut says he gets first crack over elgey, it also says that all off contract random Barrett signings should be concerned about their future at the sea Eagles. Does will do what he can this year and change out some cattle in the next few years. I think Trent may be this year's Luke Williams for des.

Trent wasn't really a standout for the Knights and didn't crack the starting 13 at the Sharks. He came back to us almost by default, due to the Hastings debacle, then with Croker doing his ACL we didn't really have a #6.

To me, he didn't look very quick nor mobile for us last year, which made him look a bit pedestrian in defence, along with most of our team in 2018. But he is nonetheless an origin winning halfback.

With a defined role and hopefully staying injury free (unlikely as that may seem) he will hopefully start hitting his best form again.

Des is a harsh marker. So if he gives Trent first shot at the #6 jersey over Elgey, Cust, Metcalf and Croker, he will have deserved it.
Well said. But gawd, there’s a lineup of halves talent to put fear into the opposition. Not.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8