Did we sign Hodkinson to be an 'off the bench' hooker?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Blake A

Reserve Grader
I cannot for the life of me work out why we signed Trent Hodkinson to play in the 14 jumper and come off the bench as a hooker.
If we had signed him and he played in the halves, then I could understand.... but we played him off the bench as a hooker. When I think of a dummy half coming off the bench, I think of players with pace.... the exact thing Hodkinson doesn't have.
What an absolute joke.

Barrett being barrett. Hodko should have been half with walker to centre and suli wing. Cant figure out why.
Also why funa was never given a chance and he kept persisting with parker

It was bizarre for sure. I heard Hodko say in an interview that his knees were 100% fine so I thought he was bought so we could finally turf Hastings and Hodko would be 5/8, giving dce the experience he needs, centre of the year, Walker to you know, play centre ffs, and the rest falls into place.

I dunno whether it was because the coach wanted to replace our inexperienced hooker at times of what.

My memory of 2018 is fast going so I could be wrong.

It was bizarre for sure. I heard Hodko say in an interview that his knees were 100% fine so I thought he was bought so we could finally turf Hastings and Hodko would be 5/8, giving dce the experience he needs, centre of the year, Walker to you know, play centre ffs, and the rest falls into place.

I dunno whether it was because the coach wanted to replace our inexperienced hooker at times of what.

My memory of 2018 is fast going so I could be wrong.
The problem is, he is with us next year too. I hope like heck he is only a back up half in case of injury.

I cannot for the life of me work out why we signed Trent Hodkinson to play in the 14 jumper and come off the bench as a hooker.
If we had signed him and he played in the halves, then I could understand.... but we played him off the bench as a hooker. When I think of a dummy half coming off the bench, I think of players with pace.... the exact thing Hodkinson doesn't have.
What an absolute joke.
Yep - made no sense at all. The fact that Suli / Parker were probably the worst centre/winger combo in the whole comp and we had walker who could fixed the defence up on that side.. yet he plays Trent off the bench.. Moron. I understand that Fainu was struggling to play 80 but we could have used Brown to come off the bench / utility and then had trent and walker in their preferred positions. Trent kept on playing 70 mins of the game with 16 players and rarely brought on the likes of Paseka/Frank etc until the 70th minute. Worst coach in our history.

Article today in the SMH says Trent is targeting the starting 6 role. Be interesting how that pans out for him. If Elgey beats him to the five eighth role then I suspect Trent will be playing for Blacktown as you would think Fainu offers more off the bench

'A tough couple of years': Hodkinson hopes to nail down spot where career started
Sam PhillipsFebruary 19, 2019 — 5.04pm

After a "tough couple of years", Trent Hodkinson feels at home having settled back in at the Sea Eagles.

Hodkinson returned to the club where his NRL career started halfway through last season as Manly frantically searched for a five-eighth, bringing an end to a rollercoaster which saw him play at Canterbury, Newcastle and Cronulla in the space of four years.

"Des jumping on board again has been great for the club. It’s exciting," Hodkinson said. "I’ve been under him for most of my career and I feel I play my best footy under Des."

On a personal front, Hodkinson has set himself the task of beating Kane Elgey for first crack at five-eighth.

While he feels his performances were serviceable from the bench, Hodkinson wants to be on the field from the first whistle.

"Every player wants to start and nail down a starting role," he said. "Prior to last year I was starting games and that’s where you want to be.

"You want to be out there from the get go and that’s what we want to do so we will see what happens. I’ve been training in the halves the whole pre-season so we will just have to wait and see."

Earning the coveted starting spot would only add to the excitement of Hodkinson's homecoming.

"I spent a fair bit of time at the Dogs and you find a home there," Hodkinson said. "But the feeling of coming back to where it all started is special."

My take on the Hogko signing was more a reliable Green type half partner for DCE and in particular, missing Pearce who they thought was in the bag.
In 2018 was a letdown....did not expect a Massive impact, but his options on many occasions were poor for a bloke with his experience.
Expected little in the way of attacking flair as his knees are shot and his pace is a little down on most halves, but his passing game, kicking game and match control in general was sub standard for a former origin player.
As for a bench player, Fainu is already a far better option and can only see Hodgko playing at Blacktown unless injuries occur.
With only a few sights on Cust and Metcalfe would prefer giving youngsters with some decent ability a go ahead of him.

What an absolute joke.
The idiot coach we had signed him ......

In my opinion he’s possibly the 30th player and only used in case of injury.
In case of injury to Dessie ..... look, he seems like an awesome bloke to have around, but 1st grade now? We know, he knows it's beyond him. Good on him for trying though. His body can't take it.

Hodko is born again eagle and will surprise the doubters.:wait:

Our ball players were busy trying to plug the woeful defense in the past.

Really looking forward to a confident, creative and cohesive Manly again :clap:

Hodko is born again eagle and will surprise the doubters.:wait:

Our ball players were busy trying to plug the woeful defense in the past.

Really looking forward to a confident, creative and cohesive Manly again :clap:
yep I am with you - I think if he is healthy now and no knee issues that he will indeed be the Green type that we need at times. Steady - smart - good kicking game and an organiser. Elgey on the other hand I see as an out and out attacking weapon and in mind too much like DCE. Will be interesting to see who wins out. I truly believe we missed Green badly last year and another player who can fill that steadying role is essential - enter Hodko. How do we fit Elgey and his attack in - I am not sure?

yep I am with you - I think if he is healthy now and no knee issues that he will indeed be the Green type that we need at times. Steady - smart - good kicking game and an organiser. Elgey on the other hand I see as an out and out attacking weapon and in mind too much like DCE. Will be interesting to see who wins out. I truly believe we missed Green badly last year and another player who can fill that steadying role is essential - enter Hodko. How do we fit Elgey and his attack in - I am not sure?
Hodko will probably be a bench player as he covers 9-6 positions well.

LG will be interesting to watch evolve :)

Last edited:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8