Dessie wants a Mil ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What did he do at Manly this year to deserve the sack ?

We were top 4 last year. This year with injuries and the pride saga and no ceo he finished outside the eight. We didn’t get the spoon though.
Right or wrong, maybe it was time for a change.

But certainly the way he has been treated is completely uncalled for. No one worked harder than Des, and words like greedy, ego, money grabbing, etc I think are unfair considering the conditions Penn has put him through.

Anyway, 2006-2011 (2012-2014 technically a player led continuation of everything he had built) were some of the best years I have ever had the privilege of supporting this club, and 2019 will also hold a special place in my heart. Love the Des, and will miss such a character. It just saddens me that we are so quick to judge, despite his faults, an undoubtedly great man

Des always been a greedy prick. Fully entitled to 23 full pay out but 24 give me a break we were never finishing top 6 so he was never guaranteed a 24 deal.

Hope he enjoys his cash as no one is hiring him again.
Probably doesn't need to does he? Cash is king.

Des is seriously deluded if he thinks at any stage this year we were going to finish in top 6 for his bonus round prize of 2024.
But you can’t say defiantly we wouldn’t have once the jerseygate shiit hit the fan. We lose seven straight.I think a decent defence team of lawyers could make a case. Maybe not for all of 2024, but some pro-rata figure.

Right or wrong, maybe it was time for a change.

But certainly the way he has been treated is completely uncalled for. No one worked harder than Des, and words like greedy, ego, money grabbing, etc I think are unfair considering the conditions Penn has put him through.

Anyway, 2006-2011 (2012-2014 technically a player led continuation of everything he had built) were some of the best years I have ever had the privilege of supporting this club, and 2019 will also hold a special place in my heart. Love the Des, and will miss such a character. It just saddens me that we are so quick to judge, despite his faults, an undoubtedly great man
No judging on my behalf , I recognise his past with us but past is the operative word here , as sadly Des is “ past it “ in a coaching sense.

But I will always acknowledge his playing days and his very successful period with us in the 2006-2011 period.

But he shat in the nest after the 2011 GF and whilst I was prepared to “ forget “ ( never forgive ) when he came back I think it was definitely time for a change.

But you can’t say defiantly we wouldn’t have once the jerseygate shiit hit the fan. We lose seven straight.I think a decent defence team of lawyers could make a case. Maybe not for all of 2024, but some pro-rata figure.
Disagree

He had a contract for 2023.

He was sacked

He’ll be paid for 23 but has zero rights to anything else.

Perhaps looking at a partial pay out for 24, he'll settle for that, if it does happen, and a big if at that.
I guess it’ll be based in how much he wants to spend on legal fees and his much Penn doesn’t want to.

So correct , he might get say “ 2023 plus $100k severance “.

A long winded court battle could cost both sides hundreds of thousands and if Penn was to lose he might have to pay Des’s court costs.

So the above is highly likely but I’ll guarantee it won’t be two years pay.

Disagree

He had a contract for 2023.

He was sacked

He’ll be paid for 23 but has zero rights to anything else.
Sorry Mark, but in that contract was there not a clause that stated that if he made it into the top 6 at seasons end, it would give him the option to coach until the end of 2024?
Yes, he was sacked after the season was completed. And in those last 7 weeks Penn is on camera saying Dessies position is not in jeopardy, and it’s all sweet (paraphrased obviously 🙄).
This isn’t a personal thing with Des and Seibold. I’m just trying to think what a defence lawyer might try and use as ammo for 2024. Obviously Rainbow Round, then the capitulation there in.
I worked for one of GCs biggest defence lawyers 10 years ago (as his gardener, not his legal assistant….probably didn’t need to explain that last bit @;)). But he would often come home for lunch (billable lunch he would call it). Anyway (get to the point Wombat!), he’d tell me a fair bit. Usually about the bikie gangs that had him on retainer. The tricks, bluffing, straight out bullshiiting he’d say and do to get his clients off, or at the very least a reasonable plea agreement.
So that’s where I’m coming from. If there is the slightest bit of grey area in that clause,those bastards will find a hole to squeeze thru, and maybe Dessie gets a bit more cash?

*you know I feel bad about disagreeing with you. But that it’s not personal.;)

** Oh yeah, just a question for @Woodsie . What happened to Dessies reach-around. Didn’t even make it to the negotiating table, or maybe it did?….ewww.

Last edited:
I guess it’ll be based in how much he wants to spend on legal fees and his much Penn doesn’t want to.

So correct , he might get say “ 2023 plus $100k severance “.

A long winded court battle could cost both sides hundreds of thousands and if Penn was to lose he might have to pay Des’s court costs.

So the above is highly likely but I’ll guarantee it won’t be two years pay.
We had to go to the lawyer/solicitor on Wednesday to do wills, power of attorney, and all that stuff that goes with it. At the end, the solicitor asked if we had any questions. I was about to ask one, when my brother-in-law, who was sitting next to me, leaned in and said, "No you don’t. Their hourly rate is $500 an hour, (and as he was paying the bill) I needed to shut up and get out NOW!".
Once outside, he asked me what my question was. I said I wanted to know if I could take a cpl of the single wrap Mint Mentos with me (that were in a bowl on the table in front of me) as anyone that loves Mentos knows, it’s hard to stop after the first one. The brother-in-law just walked away, shaking his head. (Obviously not a Mentos addict).:eek:
So yeah after that hourly rate, Dessie would want to be sure as shiit he’s going to get a decent whack out of it.

It’s not as if Penn didn’t create this whole situation himself. Des is not some evil creature trying to wrong the club or sue them for events that didn’t happen.

Penn has burnt through multiple coaches and CEO’s in the last eight years with a very average success rate compared to the roster we have had and the history of the clubs results going back to 1947.

Yet again he decides to go down the track of sacking another coach before his term is up. Of course it is going to end up with some kind of payout and of course Des wants the maximum.

If Penn could control the place and had a proper management and governance structure that avoided garbage like this pride round incident occurring then maybe he wouldn’t be paying Des out.

There’s not much more to be said.

Sorry Mark, but in that contract was there not a clause that stated that if he made it into the top 6 at seasons end, it would give him the option to coach until the end of 2024?
Yes, he was sacked after the season was completed. And in those last 7 weeks Penn is on camera saying Dessies position is not in jeopardy, and it’s all sweet (paraphrased obviously 🙄).
This isn’t a personal thing with Des and Seibold. I’m just trying to think what a defence lawyer might try and use as ammo for 2024. Obviously Rainbow Round, then the capitulation there in.
I worked for one of GCs biggest defence lawyers 10 years ago (as his gardener, not his legal assistant….probably didn’t need to explain that last bit @;)). But he would often come home for lunch (billable lunch he would call it). Anyway (get to the point Wombat!), he’d tell me a fair bit. Usually about the bikie gangs that had him on retainer. The tricks, bluffing, straight out bullshiiting he’d say and do to get his clients off, or at the very least a reasonable plea agreement.
So that’s where I’m coming from. If there is the slightest bit of grey area in that clause,those bastards will find a hole to squeeze thru, and maybe Dessie gets a bit more cash?

** Oh yeah, just a question for @Woodsie . What happened to Dessies reach-around. Didn’t even make it to the negotiating table, or maybe it did?….ewww.
Disagreeing is perfectly fine , I’m not immune to it for any reason.

But if my memory is correct it was as follows.

A two year contract , which if we made the top 8 in 2021 triggered and extra year in 2022.

The negotiations then added another year ( 2023) and if we made the top 8 then a second year ( 2024) would be automatically added.

His 2023 year was severed and so he’s entitled to that years payout but the 24 year he basically has to prove that circumstances beyond his control ****ed up his ability to achieve that ??

Jerseygate , maybe , but it’s a stretch.

There was actually a second part to his quote and it was along the lines of 'as long as the results are there to support it'. I remember it because it screamed of giving himself an out at the time.

It was never the first part of the quote that mattered because the second part invalidated it.

Penn might be a dolt but he's well versed in the squirmy way out.

A two year contract , which if we made the top 8 in 2021 triggered and extra year in 2022.

The negotiations then added another year ( 2023) and if we made the top 8 then a second year ( 2024) would be automatically added.

His 2023 year was severed and so he’s entitled to that years payout but the 24 year he basically has to prove that circumstances beyond his control ****ed up his ability to achieve that ??

I heard a while ago that should he get the punt prior to the commencement of 2023, his payout would only be $500k, Des's only defence is that he will say that he wasn't afforded the chance to make the top 6 due to the rainbow jerseys fiasco, which was brought about by the incompetence of his own football department.
Des would have struggled to get a job after what happened at the Dogs, he should count his blessings that he got another opportunity to earn around $800k for an extra four years, but as usual Des wants to have his cake and eat it as well.

For all we know Des’s severance could all be settled now. If they agree and sign deeds its likely that there will be no public statements but rather the contrary.
Des’s 1 mil plus letter is the oldest negotiating trick in the world. I.e. Ask for significant overs and settle somewhere in the middle……

We were never at any stage through the season in the top 6 so I fail to see how lawyers could argue that jerseygate cost us a top 6 spot. All this argument just proves that he was coaching for personal means and not the collective good ends. As long as we got to top 6 then Des would be happy , fu*k the rest of us expecting a GF or something close.

We were never at any stage through the season in the top 6 so I fail to see how lawyers could argue that jerseygate cost us a top 6 spot. All this argument just proves that he was coaching for personal means and not the collective good ends. As long as we got to top 6 then Des would be happy , fu*k the rest of us expecting a GF or something close.
It’s Des

He’s only been interested in the $$$$ since his return

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8