Dessie, Dessie, Dessie.......

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Who names an unchanged lineup after getting beaten at home by the worst team on paper in the 9 year history of the NRL? Is it simply a way of saying to the boys that since they got into this mess, they have to get out of it? Or is it basically the fact that we don't have many challenging for 1st Grade positions from PL? Or is he simply confident that he has the team out there to do the trick. Surely you have to put players on notice, but maybe it's too early in the season to be dropping players - I'm not sure, and I didn't see the game. Either way, it leaves a little sour taste in my mouth........

I was upset at first but the more I think about Dessies decision not to change the makeup of the side the more I think it is probably the correct decision.

It looks like Cuthbo might get a run, I guess you dont want to be blooding too many players in 1 go especially in Townsville. Last weekend was when it should have happened. Hopefully Cuthbo takes his place in the 17 this weekend and Ballin gets a shot in the next couple of weeks.

Cuthbo may not get a go as he is the travelling reserve. Good to see him in consideration.

I can see why Des hasn't changed the team. To change suddenly reeks of panic and he will give the players time to establish themselves.

1.Who names an unchanged lineup after getting beaten at home by the worst team on paper in the 9 year history of the NRL?

Des Hasler

2. Is it simply a way of saying to the boys that since they got into this mess, they have to get out of it?

I dont think so. I believe he will look like he's panicing if he makes changes to the line-up in just round one. The problem is its nearly the exact line-up that didn't recieve a change for the last 13 rounds of last year. Just 1 win to remind you all too.

3. Or is it basically the fact that we don't have many challenging for 1st Grade positions from PL?

We have quite a few players just sitting on their asses in PL waiting for a go. I wouldn't say they are all quality however Ballin/ Cuthbo deserve a go. Its not just about injecting new blood in this case. I feel its equally as important to scare the current 1st grade squad into the impression that they are replaceable. At the moment the feel is you can **** up time and time again, you position is safe no matter what.

4. Or is he simply confident that he has the team out there to do the trick.

A coach doesn't run a team out without thinking they can get the job done. Problem once again is that the team really are struggling to win not only this season but the last 13 rounds of last year. That in turn goes straight back the point of Des being averse to risk. I don't see the problem with trying new blokes in a losing team. Whats the worst that could happen? You might lose??? :wall:

5. Surely you have to put players on notice,

Yes, Fully agree.

6. but maybe it's too early in the season to be dropping players

The problem is that I don't think Des knows when the right time is. I wouldn't have a problem if we lose this week and he makes a few changes. My gripe is that I know if we get done 60 blot, the same team will run out against the sharks the following week. We only have to look at last seasons Cronulla game to back that one up.

7. I'm not sure, and I didn't see the game. Either way, it leaves a little sour taste in my mouth........

Mine too. Almost as bad as drinking XXXX.

It's like the Australian cricket team of the late 90s.

It's harder to get out of it than it is to get in it.

Just a question, if both Ballin and Cuthbertson had places in the 17 does anyone honestly think it will change the result on Saturday?

I have no idea what the betting odds are for this weekend but I would be surprised if we do not have the longest odds. If Ballin & Cuthbo did play I would think that the odds would even be longer.

Are you saying they shouldn't be there Pete?

Please assess:

Ballin vs Dunley
Cuthbo vs Williamson

and tell us the later deserve selection over the former.

Yeah, I've noticed Pete is better at glib criticism than contructive anlysis.
As one for fairness I cant disagree with what he Pete saying on either front. If both were playing we probably wouldn't win or have better odds.

Manly who have watched Ballin and Cuthbo have rated them for a long time and now others are jumping on the Conga line.

A review of posts on this forum will note that a few of us were rating both this time last year!!!

I have previously stated that I would prefer both Ballin (for Dunley) and Cuthbo (for Williamson) should be in the 17, although in fairness that was for the opening game and I thought at least Cuthbo deserved a place in the 17 this weekend. Des was never going to blood 2 rookies in the one game against the Cowboys.

I was only pointing out that I doubt the inclusion of one or the other or both would be the difference between a win & a loss. With 2 rookies in the side I would also expect the bookies to offer even longer odds.

I was not being glib or critical, just my opinion.

I dont get the whole, if we blood them at the same time we could lose?

Thats so much different to not blooding them and still loseing. Although I agree on your stance of 'why' Des isn't giving them a go, I really think he should.

The bookies have spoken and the odds are $3 the win and +8.5 pts. Still slightly longer than we were against the worst Raiders line-up in the history of the game...... And Pete is right, we are the longest odds of the round.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4