DES WHO?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What a flog of a post.

We are 2 trials and one nrl match into the second coming of Seibs and bitches are already gunning for one of the greatest coach's this club has and will ever have.

I hope Seibold and co lead us to the promised land unbeaten this year but shooting your load so early says more about your lack of understanding than anything else.

Des rebuilt this club. Des won us 2 premierships. Des was and will always be a champion.

What a flog of a post.

We are 2 trials and one nrl match into the second coming of Seibs and bitches are already gunning for one of the greatest coach's this club has and will ever have.

I hope Seibold and co lead us to the promised land unbeaten this year but shooting your load so early says more about your lack of understanding than anything else.

Des rebuilt this club. Des won us 2 premierships. Des was and will always be a champion.
Thanks for your late night homo-erotic reply.

I see the Des fan boys have come out in his defence.

And so they should if people are attacking his overall record and contribution to the club. He is a true legend of Manly as player and coach.

However, what I'm reading is that most people (and I'm included) were frustrated with his tactics, player selection and stubbornness over the last few years.

And for those reasons I'm glad there was a change. I really didn't enjoy watching Manly last year regardless of whether we won or lost.

Haha **** me cool the jets chaps

Take a nice win against a dismal opposition but let’s not get carried away

The “young guys that got a go”, who did they all debut under ?

I see the Des fan boys have come out in his defence.

And so they should if people are attacking his overall record and contribution to the club. He is a true legend of Manly as player and coach.

However, what I'm reading is that most people (and I'm included) were frustrated with his tactics, player selection and stubbornness over the last few years.

And for those reasons I'm glad there was a change. I really didn't enjoy watching Manly last year regardless of whether we won or lost.
Last few years? Like 2021 up mean when we were top 4 and 80 min from a GF?

Last year was disappointing yes but there were reasons out of Des's control wouldn't you agree?

Main point is he's gone and I hope the new regime all the success but history is fact. Outside Bozo Fulton Des will go down as one of the greatest coaches we ever had.

So to answer the OP.

'Des who'?

A dead set legend of our club past and present.

Last few years? Like 2021 up mean when we were top 4 and 80 min from a GF?

Last year was disappointing yes but there were reasons out of Des's control wouldn't you agree?

Main point is he's gone and I hope the new regime all the success but history is fact. Outside Bozo Fulton Des will go down as one of the greatest coaches we ever had.

So to answer the OP.

'Des who'?

A dead set legend of our club past and present.
Yes Des had some things out of control. And i didn't like the messy way he exited. I loved Des ans a player and as a coach in his first stint at Manly.

He is a club legend, but the last few years has been frustrating in the ways i outlined in my OP.

Both of those things can be true which was the point of my post.

And while you bring up 2021 let's have another look. Tom had one of the all-time great seasons, and yet we were UNCOMPETITIVE against the top 3 teams when it counted. So yeah, we had some fun beating up some pretty ordinary teams with cricket scores. But if you want to put out things like we were 80 minutes from a GF, while technically true, don't indicate how far Manly were off the speed of the elite teams that year.

Just my 2c worth...Des did some great work over the years with the teams that he had, however it fell apart in '22 under his watch also, leading to 0-7 losses.
It must also be remembered that Des was well paid for the work that he did.
'23 has started off very well, the young blokes seem to be getting & enjoying their opportunity which is good.
So far, it's a yes from me!

We can all respect the previous coach for what he did until 2011.

But let’s not forget how he left , and that he tried to rip us apart at the time.

I realise you are a Dessie fanboy , lots are, I was , but he was stale ( very ) and still living in the past, I’ve moved on.

As to the current coach , time will tell.
I'll never be convinced that there wasn't a bit of spite in the Hasler return. He needed the job but also saw the chance to rub it in a little. It was never Manly, it was always him and his team.

Seibs press conference today talked about how important the community is to Manly. Hasler couldn't have cared less about the wider Manly picture.

Hasler's methods were extremely outdated and, without Tommy's extraordinary 2021, there would have been no great results.

And don't start me on the toxicity of the bloke. He soured our 2011 premiership with a quick departure, he drove the Dogs into the ground and made millions from it, and his latest tenure here ended with him locking the owner out of the dressing room and suing the club for mega bucks he was never entitled to (the opinion of The Court may differ 😉).

You and I Mark, are old enough to know that people do change with age and experience. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. And sometimes ego and bitterness are elements they are unable to overcome. I'll leave it at that.

Amazing that we were one turbo injury / rainbow jersey away from Des still being in charge.
It was only a couple of years ago we made the QF for the grand final.
We were either in the 8 or close to without turbo last year before the club failed to execute what should have been a celebrated inclusive jersey.
I like the fresh change (all sports fan like change , new players etc) but was not convinced Des’s time was up

without Tommy's extraordinary 2021, there would have been no great results.
Let’s not make things up to fit a narrative

That 2019 campaign wasn’t terrible and I consider that opening week of the finals win against the Sharks when we were decimated one of the finest I have seen, and we are a Jake sin bin away from a massive upset and prelim appearance the next week too

I'll never be convinced that there wasn't a bit of spite in the Hasler return. He needed the job but also saw the chance to rub it in a little. It was never Manly, it was always him and his team.

Seibs press conference today talked about how important the community is to Manly. Hasler couldn't have cared less about the wider Manly picture.

Hasler's methods were extremely outdated and, without Tommy's extraordinary 2021, there would have been no great results.

And don't start me on the toxicity of the bloke. He soured our 2011 premiership with a quick departure, he drove the Dogs into the ground and made millions from it, and his latest tenure here ended with him locking the owner out of the dressing room and suing the club for mega bucks he was never entitled to (the opinion of The Court may differ 😉).

You and I Mark, are old enough to know that people do change with age and experience. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. And sometimes ego and bitterness are elements they are unable to overcome. I'll leave it at that.
I think the Dessie Fan Boys who are up in arms over some of the comments must have blinkers on.

I’ve not said anything different to what I’ve been saying for years.

1) I respect his days and records as a player.

2) I respect his efforts as coach until Grand Final day 2011.

3) I lost respect for the man when just a day after the 2011 GF, he left and tried to destroy the club on the way out , I said I would never forgive him and I never have.

4) I was very much against him coming back , but I said I’d support him as the coach but would still never forgive him for what he did.

5) and I wasn’t at all surprised when his tenure ended the same way as it did with the Bulldogs.

So respect the past ( yes ) but he really ****ed it up in his second stint , clouded in one year by a once in a lifetime season by Turbo, otherwise his tenure here the last 3 years was pretty average ( not woeful just average ).

Most ( including me ) just think he’s past it, his method may have worked a decade ago but just doesn’t cut the mustard in the modern era.

And lastly compare the pair

The best and most informative off season I can remember.

The team obviously very very happy.

From the 3 games I’ve seen the players seem to be playing a more natural “ play as you see in front of you “ game , a total change from the past, NONE of this would have happened with the old coach.

And yes as has been said above “ no leaks “.

So let’s respect the past , but let’s also move on.

Last edited:
Des was brought back for the sole reason of reuniting the fans with some manly dna after the barrett debacle and how low the club was at the time. It was evident that penn had never forgiven him but was prepared to let him be back whilst limiting his power/decision making as long as he got results. That first season des toed the line and manly had a relatively successful season, season 2 of des saw penn having less hands on involvement plus ceo dramas once again giving des the opportunity to be des and basically run the entire show.The next 1.5 years saw penn hardly seen whilst living in the usa and des was essentially coach and ceo
The pride jersey scandal was never des fault yet the minute he deflected it back on the club he was gone. Penn still held the grudges from 2011 and realised des had too much power due to his own lack of involvement and poor management team.
i believe des was outdated in his ways, donny singe being a example, and not adapting and evolving the way his teams played to suit rule changes, faster style of football etc.
It was time for des to go but the way it went down in the end was in my opinion tit for tat for 2011 and another blight on penns time owning this club

Des was brought back for the sole reason of reuniting the fans with some manly dna after the barrett debacle and how low the club was at the time. It was evident that penn had never forgiven him but was prepared to let him be back whilst limiting his power/decision making as long as he got results. That first season des toed the line and manly had a relatively successful season, season 2 of des saw penn having less hands on involvement plus ceo dramas once again giving des the opportunity to be des and basically run the entire show.The next 1.5 years saw penn hardly seen whilst living in the usa and des was essentially coach and ceo
The pride jersey scandal was never des fault yet the minute he deflected it back on the club he was gone. Penn still held the grudges from 2011 and realised des had too much power due to his own lack of involvement and poor management team.
i believe des was outdated in his ways, donny singe being a example, and not adapting and evolving the way his teams played to suit rule changes, faster style of football etc.
It was time for des to go but the way it went down in the end was in my opinion tit for tat for 2011 and another blight on penns time owning this club
I think this is very well put , and probably nails the last 3 years to a tee.

It’s sad that it ended in acrimony , but another year of what we had would have just about killed the club.

That "s probably a fairly good take on the matter but would say that there were more just then Penn in the club "s inner circle and background who were angling for a coaching change . Wouldn "t say that there was a groundswell preferring a coaching change through the club but for the best the way things were evolving and indications since the shake up .

Media leaks have stopped.
Let that sink in.
So…ummm…you agreed with Mutley’s post outlining some of the challenges Hasler faced in dealing with Penn, but are somehow intimating that Hasler was leaking stories to the media?

Interesting dichotomy. Or if you’re right on the latter, maybe a paradox.

My understanding was Des left in 2011 because the club wouldn’t confirm his next contract?

So I don’t view what happened then as solely Des’ fault. His attempt to take our players with him was wrong though.

Wasn’t a certain youth pathways officer who was marched late last year the source of leaks to the media, so I don’t see why that sin is being attributed to Des?

Obviously he’s a club legend & it seemed there was a personality clash/battle of egos between him & Scott Penn & there was only ever going to be one winner there.

It was a shame the way things went down last year but I hope Seibold et al is the regime change needed to get us going again - so far, so good!

Re: the club releasing more media & engaging more with the fan base - I think that’s down to Mestrov, & Penn realising he neglected the club for a few years on that matter. The revolving door policy of CEO’s didn’t help that issue either.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7