Des Not an Over night fix....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The big problem has been solved .....

For at least 6 years the club has been progressively under resourced and for at least the past 4 years has been run on a "shoe-string" ...we were the poor under-priveldged of the comp .... and that attitude went right through the club .... we may differ on what the catalyst for change was ... but one thing for certain is the purse strings have been opened .... and the winner is Manly ....

We now have a coaching and fitness staff the envy of the league ..... Dessie is just the cherry on top ..... attitude and enthusiasm has returned .... and not just the players, I;m talking the office staff, sales, marketing etc .... everybody at the club ...

This has not just been a change of coach ..... it has been a monumental shift in who is running the club .....

Top 8 ... all day ... every day ....

PSS ... and they better taste success sooner rather than later, because the bloke paying the bills will be counting the cost and will only remain silent and in the back seat for so long ... ....
Great new article on Fox about how Dessie has made the players all go out and purchase an iPad for $1200. He then makes them go home and watch what they did right/wrong, and knows if the haven’t by the time they arrive at training the next day...So, that indicates the purse strings are certainly still not opened anywhere near to the level of the bigger clubs. The players appear to be buying right into Dessie’s methods though... they all did as they were instructed to, and are loving how thorough the man is... history shows that great coach’s will do that, (demand more of the players) and the team love them for it... Anyways, they would have more than likely spent more on the piss, while on the punt with Baz’s expert team of gurus last year, and probably see it as an ongoing savings.

Last edited:
Much like when he started 1st time (2004?), however we come into it with a better roster in 2019. It will take a couple years to get competitive in finals.

No slitting throats in threads this year, hey fellas? Des will rebuild.

Much like when he started 1st time (2004?), however we come into it with a better roster in 2019. It will take a couple years to get competitive in finals.

The big problem has been solved .....

For at least 6 years the club has been progressively under resourced and for at least the past 4 years has been run on a "shoe-string" ...we were the poor under-priveldged of the comp .... and that attitude went right through the club .... we may differ on what the catalyst for change was ... but one thing for certain is the purse strings have been opened .... and the winner is Manly ....

We now have a coaching and fitness staff the envy of the league ..... Dessie is just the cherry on top ..... attitude and enthusiasm has returned .... and not just the players, I;m talking the office staff, sales, marketing etc .... everybody at the club ...

This has not just been a change of coach ..... it has been a monumental shift in who is running the club .....

PSS ... and they better taste success sooner rather than later, because the bloke paying the bills will be counting the cost and will only remain silent and in the back seat for so long ... ....
We haven’t spent Waaaay more I wouldn’t think.. there has certainly been no star players recruited, and Baz’s Reported salary is around the same figure to what Dessie’s is “reported” to be (unbelievable, I know) Cartwright has been retained... Donnie has replaced Ferris... Rickenback is back... there’s also a sprint coach, and a smattering of Manly legends who have been enticed back into the fold. The assistant crew wouldn’t be on massive wages... and Des wasn’t given a choice about keeping. Cartwright. Manly are not a massive club anymore... we are a GREAT club with a proud history, and our owners do not have an endless flow of cash to waste like the Rorters/Broncos etc... Baz used this as an excuse/whilst Dessie finds a way to get on with things. The centre of excellence is mainly being funded by government grants, and the owners who are said to be contributing a generous 3-4 million out of their own pockets to get it done. Baz had a lot of support when he began at the club, and when Bozo left, a season to build upon, where he finished 15th... I’m sorry, I just fail to see the empirical evidence of where all these huge outpourings of cash that you speak of have been spent. The type of cash spend that might deem instant success to be a necessity has somehow eluded me. The club did the right thing by getting a double premiership winning coach with Manly DNA to fix a terrible decision, made three seasons earlier. And I’m thankful about it. There’s plenty of other clubs who have flashed the cash in a way that will create immediate expectations of success, but we ain’t one of them... heck, they have us as one of the favourites for the spoon (fools). The Broncos and the Bunnies on the other hand...

Last edited:
Brisbane Broncos
Penrith Panthers
Canterbury Bankstown
Parramatta

All spent bucket loads of cash for this last decade outside of the primarily NRL funded skyrocketing wages bill and built Taj Mahals to house their dozens of bag carriers and have got diddly squat for their efforts.
Meanwhile In that decade struggling clubs like Manly, Saints and later virtually bankrupt Cronulla have tasted success beside the star ridden cheating storm and the roosters. Comps have been won from lavish facilities to tin sheds with witches hats to dressing rooms painted by the coach and some tradie mates.If it was my my money I’d be investing in a top coach , some good tough assistants who understand the culture required , a couple of trusted medical staff and a brand new set of shiny red witches hats.

Rugby league is a tough game played by tough men on a pitch 100 metres long. It is not played in a shiny gym or a glass office.Good players with great attitudes instructed by good coaches win competitions.

In many cases I think this privileged pampered Centre of Excellence rubbish breeds complacency and entitlement , not toughness and resolve. The Australian cricket team and the Coffs Harbour Wallabies are prime examples of this bull**** new way.They have both become an embarrassment given their massive pay packets and it has all coincided with this cotton wool approach.

Just get on and play the game. Because that’s what is , a tough uncompromising game where soft inners and entitled minds are brutally exposed.

I wonder what Brisbane’s excuse will be this year.

Last edited:
Good Coaches change culture very quickly. It is a very different list from when DES built the SeaEagles back up from the Northernbirds.

He had instant success at the dogs.

Everytime Bozo stuck the coaches cap on, this club seemed a different beast over night.

Round 3 will reveal all.

PS I don't think DES likes his team to win the first two games of the season.

Brisbane Broncos
Penrith Panthers
Canterbury Bankstown
Parramatta

All spent bucket loads of cash for a decade and built Taj Mahals to house their dozens of bag carriers and have got diddly squat for their efforts.
Meanwhile In that decade struggling clubs like Manly, Saints and later virtually bankrupt Cronulla have tasted success beside the star ridden cheating storm and the roosters.

Rugby league is a tough game played by tough men on a pitch 100 metres long. It is not played in a shiny gym or a glass office.Good players with great attitudes instructed by good coaches win competitions.

In many cases I think this privileged pampered Centre of Excellence rubbish breeds complacency and entitlement , not toughness and resolve. The Australian cricket team and the Wallabies are prime examples of this bull**** new way.

Just get on and play the game. Because that’s what is , a tough uncompromising game where soft inners and entitled minds are brutally exposed.

Nailed it!

We haven’t spent Waaaay more I wouldn’t think.. there has certainly been no star players recruited, and Baz’s Reported salary is around the same figure to what Dessie’s is “reported” to be (unbelievable, I know) Cartwright has been retained... Donnie has replaced Ferris... Rickenback is back... there’s also a sprint coach, and a smattering of Manly legends who have been enticed back into the fold. The assistant crew wouldn’t be on massive wages... and Des wasn’t given a choice about keeping. Cartwright. Manly are not a massive club anymore... we are a GREAT club with a proud history, and our owners do not have an endless flow of cash to waste like the Rorters/Broncos etc... Baz used this as an excuse/whilst Dessie finds a way to get on with things. The centre of excellence is mainly being funded by government grants, and the owners who are said to be contributing a generous 3-4 million out of their own pockets to get it done. Baz had a lot of support when he began at the club, and when Bozo left, a season to build upon, where he finished 15th... I’m sorry, I just fail to see the empirical evidence of where all these huge outpourings of cash that you speak of have been spent. The type of cash spend that might deem instant success to be a necessity has somehow eluded me. The club did the right thing by getting a double premiership winning coach with Manly DNA to fix a terrible decision, made three seasons earlier. And I’m thankful about it. There’s plenty of other clubs who have flashed the cash in a way that will create immediate expectations of success, but we ain’t one of them... heck, they have us as one of the favourites for the spoon (fools). The Broncos and the Bunnies on the other hand...
Agree

Why didn't Barrett just ask the players to buy their own table and chairs for Narrabeen?

Brisbane Broncos
Penrith Panthers
Canterbury Bankstown
Parramatta

All spent bucket loads of cash for this last decade outside of the primarily NRL funded skyrocketing wages bill and built Taj Mahals to house their dozens of bag carriers and have got diddly squat for their efforts.
Meanwhile In that decade struggling clubs like Manly, Saints and later virtually bankrupt Cronulla have tasted success beside the star ridden cheating storm and the roosters. Comps have been won from lavish facilities to tin sheds with witches hats to dressing rooms painted by the coach and some tradie mates.If it was my my money I’d be investing in a top coach , some good tough assistants who understand the culture required , a couple of trusted medical staff and a brand new set of shiny red witches hats.

In many cases I think this privileged pampered Centre of Excellence rubbish breeds complacency and entitlement , not toughness and resolve. The Australian cricket team and the Coffs Harbour Wallabies are prime examples of this bull**** new way.They have both become an embarrassment given their massive pay packets and it has all coincided with this cotton wool approach.

What a great post Sue - spot on. COE's don't guarantee anything - tough minds, never say die attitudes and super fit players will always get you more results than some fancy gym machines!

I think Tom will
Have a break out year.

I think he’s development stagnated in club footy the last few seasons.

He’s talented and is a tryer but just didn’t have the expertise he had now. Working with Des and snake I’m expecting him to push teddy for that blues number 1 jersey
I’m happy with Des back....now.(it took a while!), but I’m ecstatic Snake has come back. He is going to be huge for Tommy. Expecting him to go to the next level.

For the life of me I can't find the article (I'll have to check my internet history, its there somewhere), but I read an online article in the SMH over the weekend where there are quite a few at the club who privately think that having a new CoE at Brookvale is a waste of space and money because we already have a CoE at Narrabeen and because of the fact that with Brookie being a public park other than on match days, they can't exclusively train on the ground anyway.

Of the 6 powerhouses financially only two have had success over the last decade. The others have been plain average or basket cases.
The Storm and Roosters have had great rosters ( whether assembled legally or not ), large third party contracts and the two best coaches of the decade. Players and good head coaches win football games.Thats why they are the best. Not because they have all the bag carriers, science gurus, large glass buildings and new shiny stuff.

Last edited:

Premiership in 2019 or #sackdes

For the life of me I can't find the article (I'll have to check my internet history, its there somewhere), but I read an online article in the SMH over the weekend where there are quite a few at the club who privately think that having a new CoE at Brookvale is a waste of space and money because we already have a CoE at Narrabeen and because of the fact that with Brookie being a public park other than on match days, they can't exclusively train on the ground anyway.

Found it....middle piece of the article

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...stand-down-jack-de-belin-20190216-p50yb6.html

Another Brookfail

What hasn’t been said about the $36 million redevelopment of Manly’s home ground, Lottoland, at Brookvale is that there is a huge amount of resistance from the football side of the club to actually using the new facility.

The reasons? Firstly, the Sea Eagles say there is absolutely no point to having a high-performance centre if there is not a field that they can use attached to the facility. The Eagles rent Lottoland (formerly Brookvale Oval) for game days at $40,000 a day. The ground is still used during the week by the public and we have all seen the poor quality of the turf.

The other argument is that they already have a centre of excellence at Narrabeen. There is a genuine fear the whole complex could be a multimillion-dollar white elephant.

As hard as they are I can take losses , providing our players are trying their guts out.

What I can’t stand is capitulation, the like we saw many times in 2018.

That Panthers game is seared into my memory bank, if we do just do one thing this year and eradicate that I’ll be happy.
100% agree. I'll handle losses, like that 4 nil against the Roosters in the Semi in 2013.

What I can't handle is meek capitulation. If we go down, go down swinging, and make the other team bleed to beat us.

As hard as they are I can take losses , providing our players are trying their guts out.

What I can’t stand is capitulation, the like we saw many times in 2018.

That Panthers game is seared into my memory bank, if we do just do one thing this year and eradicate that I’ll be happy.
100% agree. I'll handle losses, like that 4 nil against the Roosters in the Semi in 2013.

What I can't handle is meek capitulation. If we go down, go down swinging, and make the other team bleed to beat us.

Love your sense of faith and confidence in Des @Woodsie . Winning a premiership may be a bit over the top but with the squad that we have a top 8 should be achievable by a great coach !
Top 8 is a very very realistic expectation .

Only if the football gods treat us very fairly with injuries Bozo. I'm not so optimistic, but the potential is there.

Only if the football gods treat us very fairly with injuries Bozo. I'm not so optimistic, but the potential is there.
All other teams are also in the mercy of the football Gods . Lets pray all will be ok Brother .
It is the potential as you say and the ability of our coach to get the best out of his players that I feel so horny about this season. This season Manly is going to cum Good.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6