Des Hasler on 2UE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SilentBob

Bencher
Interview with Gibbs and Gould.

What I can remember for those interested.

• Thought we played better footy in rounds 1 & 2.
• He has noticed both sides have played poorly after playing us and puts it down to the way we play the game, teams find it hard to back up (Gould basically agreed).
• He's not a fan of the salary cap and 25 man squad, the game is too physical for such tight restrictions, almost impossible to stay within the 25 man squad. described tackles as mini car crashes.
• More emphasis should be given to NSW Premier League or whatever it's called, players between Toyota Cup and NRL are lost.
• Said the side is coming out and playing with intent, they are just struggling to maintain that for 80 minutes, it's hard to win all the small battles in a game every time.
• Not happy with Channel 9 and couldn't believe it was the 2nd top story on the news.
• Watmough and G. Stewart signed up as we know. Foran and Hodkinson working out deals now and going no where. Matai and Perry works in progress.

Not sure if they put the interviews n their site or if they have a podcast? Interesting enough interview, he was very polite as usual.

Cheers for the wrap-up mate. Didn't hear it.

Quite a few of those are Dessie's favourite points (Premier League+Toyota Cup etc). I think he's right about the salary cap/25 man squad. I'm not sure how to police it, but injuries certainly need to be accounted for in such a physical game.

Teams that get season ending injuries suffer enormous punishment for basically being unlucky. Doesn't seem fair. In most of the big American sports with salary caps, you can waive injured players so that they don't count towards your cap and (if you have a stable club and can afford it) you can sign a replacement player who can fill that role and also that spot in the salary cap.

If clubs could afford to do that I think it seems like the sensible option.

Like with us, Brett is injured for the year. Wouldn't it be nice to sign Brent Webb or someone from the ESL on a loan deal (rather than actually getting Farrar etc on a 3 year deal) for the one season, and be able to pay him Brett's money for 2010. In this scenario Brett still gets paid of course, because he has a contract. But his money no longer counts towards the cap for 2010.

(Not actually suggesting Brent Webb as I haven't seen him play, but just as an example).

Yeah, the NFL have the "active list" and if a big-time player gets injured, they drop out of salary cap consideration.  Miami lost their quarterback in Round 1 last year and replaced him with a fellow out of Kansas who I think they may keep.

thanks for the heads up

• Watmough and G. Stewart signed up as we know. Foran and Hodkinson working out deals now and going no where. Matai and Perry works in progress.

tops news

Part of the solutions to the Salary Cap / Retaining Young Players problems could be a concession for players who have spent a long time at one club.

After a player has been at the one club for say 5 years, including years in the youth squads they should have a 5% salary cap concession applied, increasing by 5% each and every year they remain with the same club, this would add to team loyalty, as it would be impossible for a player to get as much elsewhere where they had to be paid under the cap fully and it would mean the clubs would look to develop their own youth as a way to achieve bigger more diverse and skilled squads without going over the cap.

Brining back Reserve grade is another important part of the equation as is a marque player concession, although putting all these changes in at once would bankrupt some clubs and give clear advantage to the NewsLTD clubs so they woudl have to be introduced over time.

So what has been said there is that Foran hasn't been signed as was reported a few weeks back.

Interesting

Foran not signed yet is a worry.  I'd be putting his signature ahead of Perry and Steve, although Steve has been playing particularly well. 

Manly could still field a reserve grade side in sydney but I understand that it was a financial decision not to have one and instead fielf some of our top 25 players in the sunshine coast comp instead

Matai is playing a lot better so far this year that is for sure and it would be ashame to see him go, but if this Whare kid is as good as they say we may not lose too much

If You're right, then Kite and Perry will be gone.  Would that not place us two front rowers short?

If we are to lose both front rowers and a centre it will be interesting to know who we are signing as their replacements for next year.

Hopefully Burgess will realise that eeh is playing for a bunch of losers and want to get out of his conract and come to Manly next year.

We would really only need to buy maybe one prop.

A prop & defo the centre are already at the club. It's up to those here to fight for the position.

Fro link said:
by that reasoning Gary Winter and Grant Wooden would still be fighting out a bench spot

Or you could take the sensible option & look at the good players we have in the lower grades. A couple of the 20's forwards look the goods, especially in a year or so. Once JWH's contract at the Rooters is up, he might come back too.

So the same forum that generally has a go at Des for not promoting players is now advocating a possible purchase before looking within?

Interesting....

lsz link said:
So the same forum that generally has a go at Des for not promoting players is now advocating a possible purchase before looking within?

Interesting....

Not at all what is being said.

We are speaking about the fact there are unsigned players and that there is speculation we may also be cutting loose a few players

At the end of the day I think Des/Crusher would have it under control - they have rarely pulled the wrong reign in the past

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2