Des Has Never Walked Into Success

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kevinward777

First Grader
Des has always taken the reins of basket case clubs. Manly in 2004 - Canterbury in 2012 - Manly in 2019.

On each of those occasions, the club was anchored at the very bottom of the table. Neither Bellamy nor Robinson has ever been tested in such a way. Bennett failed in spectacular fashion when faced with a similar situation in Newcastle.

Des has never waltzed into a successful club filled with representative players.

Des the builder is a great coach!

Gotta say after Round 4 IMO he had one foot out the door. He has turned around and is coming back into the game. There’s a long way to go this season! I hope he leads us all the way up the ladder. Go Manly!

Most coaches don’t waltz into successful clubs, right? Other than Cleary at Penrith when they were coming 4th.

But the Bulldogs came 9th in 2011, so hardly strugglers. Roosters came 13th the year before Robbo joined. Storm came 10th the year before Bellamy was appointed.

I agree that none of the others have truly built like what Des has done at Manly. But neither did they take the reigns of a high performing team.

Most coaches don’t waltz into successful clubs, right? Other than Cleary at Penrith when they were coming 4th.

But the Bulldogs came 9th in 2011, so hardly strugglers. Roosters came 13th the year before Robbo joined. Storm came 10th the year before Bellamy was appointed.

I agree that none of the others have truly built like what Des has done at Manly. But neither did they take the reigns of a high performing team.
Bennett to Rabbits
Cleary to Penrith
Bellamy to NSW
Griffin to Broncos
Siebold to Broncos
Stuart to Roosters
Plenty of other examples over the years.

When Des came in 2004 we were an absolute basket case. In 2019 we'd missed our first spoon (thanks Baz) by a whisker. In 2012 the Doggies had missed the finals for a number of year's - they were still broken from the salary cap fiasco.

Des built those clubs up to go on and achieve 15 final series
5 Grand Final appearances
2 Premierships

The proof is in the pudding - there is no counter argument. His record is superb, and I am so happy that he's our coach.

Bennett to Rabbits
Cleary to Penrith
Bellamy to NSW
Griffin to Broncos
Siebold to Broncos
Stuart to Roosters

When Des came in 2004 we were an absolute basket case. In 2019 we'd missed our first spoon (thanks Baz) by a whisker. In 2012 the Doggies had missed the finals for a number of year's - they were still broken from the salary cap fiasco.

2 Premierships

The proof is in the pudding - there is no counter argument. His record is superb, and I am so happy that he's our coach.
I am not disagreeing with you on Des at Manly, but I don't think he built the Dogs. He went to a club on the rise. James Graham was a massive signing for that club (before Des defected) and Ben Barba was showing his promise in 2011. What Des walked into at the Dogs was not too different to what Robinson walked into at the Roosters, for example.

I really like Hasler and am glad he is our coach too. What he did with Manly the first time around was miraculous. But Bennett, Bellamy and Robinson are also great coaches whose records stand on their own.

I can’t believe we were mucking around not signing him up for another 3 years.
I can't believe there are Manly supporters who seem to really dislike the bloke.

Perspective time
Barrett has taken every side he has ever coached backward - and he has done it over a five year period.

Only four current coaches have won two or more premier ships - one is a cheat, and another has a never ending cap.

Only two current coaches have appeared in more finals series - and one is a cheat.

Only two current coaches have appeared in more grand finals - and one is a cheat.

I am not disagreeing with you on Des at Manly, but I don't think he built the Dogs. He went to a club on the rise. James Graham was a massive signing for that club (before Des defected) and Ben Barba was showing his promise in 2011. What Des walked into at the Dogs was not too different to what Robinson walked into at the Roosters, for example.

I really like Hasler and am glad he is our coach too. What he did with Manly the first time around was miraculous. But Bennett, Bellamy and Robinson are also great coaches whose records stand on their own.
Bennett, Bellamy, and Robinson are all superb coaches - one is a cheat though, and all of them have enjoyed ridiculous advantages over their careers.

Sometime over the weekend, I'll compile a list of the representative players each coach has had at their disposal since Robinson entered the coaching ranks. I have done it before, and the difference between those three guys and Hasler is monumental.

Then I'll do it from the time Des entered the comp in comparison to Bellamy and Bennett - it is mind blowing.

The Dogs were 9th in 2011, hardly a basket case. Though the turnaround was incredible

I dont care much for the comparisons, the only thing that matters is how we perform today

Penn really put the wind up Des' skirt earlier this year with the contract clause and the assistant talk.

Bennett is good, when he has the right team.
look at what he did at newcastle.
for me looking back i think of him as one of their best signings!

Not convinced on Des since the last 18 months at the Dogs.

The second half of last year and first 4 rounds this year were inexcusable. Sure we were down troops but we seemed devoid of any sort of gameplan or effort.

This year.....well Tom is papering over some still present issues.

I'm behind Des because I'm behind Manly but not singing his praises atm

Last edited:
Des has always taken the reins of basket case clubs. Manly in 2004 - Canterbury in 2012 - Manly in 2019.

On each of those occasions, the club was anchored at the very bottom of the table. Neither Bellamy nor Robinson has ever been tested in such a way. Bennett failed in spectacular fashion when faced with a similar situation in Newcastle.

Des has never waltzed into a successful club filled with representative players.

Des the builder is a great coach!
Perspective time ....

Des Has done it all

He is a Manly Legend and one of my most inspirational players and coaches who ripped doors out of walls

The moral of the story

Des has not won a major prize ......A Premiership since 2011

And we are all only as good as our last Performance
and as Great as our next Great Delivery

It is time for Des to Deliver us another Premiership so he can be the Premier coach once again

I hope you are reading this Des
Because it is time to step up from Yesterdays hero Rankings !

Last edited:
Penn really put the wind up Des' skirt earlier this year with the contract clause and the assistant talk.
And probably rightfully so, given how we were travelling, I would dare to say Des might of have been on shaky ground there for a while, it’s a results driven business, and it’s no secret how we were travelling. But finally things have started looking up and it’s good to see Des with his Mojo back, he looked a bit off there for a while and like Disco said, I too will get behind Des because I’m behind Manly,
And like the forum title says if Des has never walked into success then let’s hope he keeps producing and creates more success as thats all it’s about. He wins, we win

Good on Mr Penn

No room for complacency

We are not a sacred hearts community boys club

We are a proud and professional winning football club
Where winning and Glory means everything !!!

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Bennett to Rabbits
Cleary to Penrith
Bellamy to NSW
Griffin to Broncos
Siebold to Broncos
Stuart to Roosters

2 Premierships

Staff online

• lsz
    First Grader
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11