Des back at work.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I read somewhere that Baz's issues started around the same time he stopped listening to Bozo. I wouldn't know though. May have been from another Fulton.

I just think Donny > The Last Guy in the fitness stakes and it has made a HUGE difference.

Re-signing Schuster is a great investment for our club, this kid is going to be a champion and the long awaited five eighth we have craved since Foran deserted us. Well done Dessie this shows you that at last we have our recruitment right again!

FMD he's a doppelganger for our beloved 'Shoulders

http://www.hudl.com/profile/7234898/Caleb-Pese
Caleb must love Matai as much as we do :inlove:

This is CP

images

https://m.facebook.com/EERLFC/posts/3141413485900142

The great thing about the Souths game is that everything that Manly has to work on to improve in 2020 is compressed down and highlighted in that one package.

All the good and bad things Manly do in Attack and Defence are on clear display in the first half.

Des improved Manly's defensive structure big time this year but there are still major structural issues to address(along with improved defensive pressure from the inside) and there are a few players(more than i am comfortable with) that are weak defensively.

Walker at 5/8 with a full off season without distractions under Dessie will show big improvements.

DCE should really look over that game in intricate detail also.(attack and defence) The attacking shapes, timing of the play and selling the deception in early plays for a better outcome in future plays down the same corridor needs to be addressed.

Take for example DCE hitting the first lead runner play early in the game attacking Souths line after the DCE break off an offload. You have AFB hands on hips not looking like a dangerous option to hit from hooker allowing defensive pressure on the inside to push up and rush on DCE, the outside defender can now stay on Jack.
Suli is too deep in this shape basically telegraphing the second man play being the only other option so that gives the outside defenders confidence to rush up and hit the fullback if that pass is used.(in saying that Suli being deep can be the deception for a different shape later on).

Moments later DCE lacking patience hits the same corridor again when the numbers are not in his favour, now the shape changes with Suli more flat and an option to hit a similar line he used in a previous game but in the end it is poorly executed and DCE is tackled with the ball.
Chalkboard please

Re-signing Schuster is a great investment for our club, this kid is going to be a champion and the long awaited five eighth we have craved since Foran deserted us. Well done Dessie this shows you that at last we have our recruitment right again!
He is not a 6.

There was a lot of uproar around playing him at 6 in the lower grades because it wasn't the best thing for his long term development. He is a freakish talent so you could play him anywhere in juniors and it would work but he will be an edge forward who may play a bit of centre early on.

He is not a 6.

There was a lot of uproar around playing him at 6 in the lower grades because it wasn't the best thing for his long term development. He is a freakish talent so you could play him anywhere in juniors and it would work but he will be an edge forward who may play a bit of centre early on.

Watching the silky like passing (long and short), his sighting of where others are, his attacking skill and deceptive playmaking, Schuster has the qualities that made King Wally and The Napper such stars. He's got a long way to get to that level but the skills are there. He'd be wasted in the forwards. Players like Turbo, Walker, Musgrove, Suli would thrive off him

He is not a 6.

He was in the backrow for most of his time, then Fulton Jr moved him to 6. I was disappointed at the time and thought it strange; however, he made a good fist of it. I can see him playing a Glenn Stewart / Wade Graham type role if they aren't going to continue with him in the halves.

He was in the backrow for most of his time, then Fulton Jr moved him to 6. I was disappointed at the time and thought it strange; however, he made a good fist of it. I can see him playing a Glenn Stewart / Wade Graham type role if they aren't going to continue with him in the halves.

Quite right...

He is already practically the same size as Ryan Matterson (who played 6 for the Chooks when there were injuries). If you have a look at the 16 teams, not one of them is carrying a 6 that resembles anything similar to Schuster. The irony is he is actually wasted at 6 because he is a big running threat and when you burden a runner with the responsibility of game management, kicking and calling plays, you take away their natural instinct to run.

When he spots something he can hit a runner with a nicely timed pass...he doesn't need to be selected at half in order to pass the football. NSW u/18s picked him in the backrow.

Last edited:
Quite right...

He is already practically the same size as Ryan Matterson (who played 6 for the Chooks when there were injuries). If you have a look at the 16 teams, not one of them is carrying a 6 that resembles anything similar to Schuster. The irony is he is actually wasted at 6 because he is a big running threat and when you burden a runner with the responsibility of game management, kicking and calling plays, you take away their natural instinct to run.

When he spots something he can hit a runner with a nicely timed pass...he doesn't need to be selected at half in order to pass the football. NSW u/18s picked him in the backrow.

And yet the best five eighth I've ever seen since the mid 60s was Wally Lewis, and he was big enough for the forwards and played lock often also. Size isn't an impediment for 5/8, as long as the player has good speed and turning ability, good defence, top passing skills and can make an impact against the defence. What small amounts of what I've seen of Schuster, he has all those qualities. I think young Fulton got it right. He has far more basic skill with the ball from what I've seen than Matterson, Graham and Stewart. Its a question as to whether he can bring that skill to first grade.

And yet the best five eighth I've ever seen since the mid 60s was Wally Lewis, and he was big enough for the forwards and played lock often also. Size isn't an impediment for 5/8, as long as the player has good speed and turning ability, good defence, top passing skills and can make an impact against the defence. What small amounts of what I've seen of Schuster, he has all those qualities. I think young Fulton got it right. He has far more basic skill with the ball from what I've seen than Matterson, Graham and Stewart. Its a question as to whether he can bring that skill to first grade.

With respect you're missing the point a bit here. It is a much different game to the 1980s/90s where we had a premiership winning halfback with no kicking game at all.

Whoever will be our #6 will be mainly tasked with getting repeat sets and kicking for field position. This is not one of Schuster's strengths that I have seen yet. Also if that means DCE is our only recognised kicking option on tackle 5 then we are going to run into old problems again.

Des seems to be a hard taskmaster but also fairly pragmatic, so we will see what he comes up with.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4