Define a tackle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Hate the Roosters and Brisbane but love my footy.
Something stinks in the modern game where the hard game that was a brutal game of contact is being turned into grab and dance, chicken wings, cannonballs....all this BS.
An old school tackler like Napa pulls of a shot that was clearly aimed at using his shoulder till the attacker changes direction and it’s a head clash.
Yes unfortunate for the ball carrier who came off second best, but far from intentional.
The game basically swings on this call as it was mid field with the game in balance at the death.
This type of rubbish is killing the game - same as players falling and it’s claimed a high tackle with them 1 foot of the ground....where else can you hit them but high in these unfortunate instances.
Get a grip, use common sense and stop these clowns over reffing games to take away the tough game players love to compete in.

I just said on another thread that it is absurd to have a rule in a contact sport that the player making a tackle is responsible for the welfare of the player with the ball.
OK then make players run in a straight line, no stepping so you can wrong foot a tacker, like what happened tonight. Because that is no more ridiculous than the rule at present.

Yeah that Napa sin binning was a bad call.

It was a proper shoulder tackle, but they head clashed. He didn't intentionally head butt him. Napa could have knocked himself out.

While I respect player welfare there has to be some common sense (which is rare in the NRL)

That sin bin gave the donkeys a strong advantage.

Let me add that Thaiday running in as 3rd man per cue....should have been to the sheds before an accidental head clash....what eggs....probably hate Roosters more than the ponies, but terrible calls.

Got to disagree boys . A tackle for me requires the use of your arms, and you have to be in control of your actions. Nappa was not in control
Napa was simply out for a big hit to inspire with zero intent and it simply is in the “head clash” basket.
The angle of attacker and defender created the clash.
It’s like penalising when 2 blokes dive for a loose ball and whoever comes off 2nd best gets the penalty.
Unfortunately in contact sport - these things happen and especially at speed.
We take the contact out and along with bad calls, 5 minute decisions and these wrestling tackles - the game takes another massive step backwards.

Didn't see the Napa tackle/sin bin, but has anybody else noticed the new "arm lock" trend when the tackled player is on the ground? I've seen a bunch of players from different teams do it. Should be penalised every time and never is.
The main problem for me is we used to go straight from the tackle to the play the ball. Now we have the tackle (usually with multiple defenders piling on), the "ruck" or "wrestle", and then the play the ball. There shouldn't be a "ruck". That's what rugby union has, and it's just one of the many reasons why that game sucks.

Napa is the type of player that goes for the big hit , he lined up Sims and got him ,unfortunately it went a little wrong as sims changed direction and was sort of going lower , a penalty debatable a sin bin No
Let’s think back to a lot of Matai’s hits over the years some occasionally go wrong It happens and Matai was treated harshly at times just like this Napa hit

If Napa was concussed from that head clash and went for a HIA, do you think he would have been binned?...
Doubt it.
I think that's the main issue. The debate is about the intent. Not the action.

No one is ever in control of a head clash...

So moving forward, if last night's example is now the benchmark, whoever comes off best in a head clash should be binned.
100% - next thing we have 2 players diving for a loose ball and whoever stays down injured wins a penalty....its a contact sport and unfortunately at high speed with high intensity plays like this - **it happens .....the only legitimate head attack I seen was from Thaiday that got flicked under the carpet.

Twitter was on fire last night and echoed most of the comments on here.

Just on Gerard Sutton, he and his brother ( and father ) were all refs in the Group 5 competition when I lived in Moree.

I went to many games ( they were obviously quite young then) and they just hated the Moree teams ( used to penalise them out of every game).

When you saw that the brothers were the refs you just marked it down as a loss ( yes it was that bad).

As much as the Donkeys getting 15 straight wins with Sutton I think my Moree Boars has something like 30 losses over 3 years.

And they say referees are fair!

Last edited:
To be fair when I first saw it I thought Napa attacked the head of Simms, so if I was the ref I would have given a penalty. But when they showed the replay it was clear Napa was going in for a hard legal tackle and the head contact - an accidental head clash -only happened because Simms changed direction late. I can understand the penalty, although it’s arguable, but he should never have been binned.

It was wreckless. I don’t think it was the common sort of head clash you see in the game. If Napa’s shoulder had hit Sims in the head (by accident) he is still responsible for the outcome. Why is it any different if you go flying in like that and your head hits him rather than your shoulder? It’s your choice to go in out of control.

I agree with penalty and on report but not the sin bin.

Ridiculous...There's a difference between a head butt and accidental clash. Just ask Zinedine Zidane. What about the poor fellas leading with their head going for a low tackle and get concussed when running into the knees of an opponent. Based on yesterday's call they should be sin binned and put on report after being cleared by the HIA.

Dylan napa no charge.
All that for that.
They need to apologise for the on field decision.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8