DCE Paycheck/ Qld v NSW playmakers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
Just been reading the papers up here and the frantic talk about Thurston maybe missing origin and it just reminded me how much quality Qld has over NSW in terms of playmakers in the halves and hooker and this has been going on for over a decade. Is it a coaching thing because it is hardly believable when you look at it?

In the halves Qld could pick Thurston Cronk Milford DCE Morgan Hunt Norman Taylor Elgey who could all do a good job while we basically are limited to Pearce Reynolds Maloney who have been ok in origin but not great and a few others who are borderline at best.

At hooker Queensland have arguably, outside of maybe Hodgson and Luke, the best 4 hookers in the comp in Smith Friend Granville and McCullough.If you leave out a couple of youngsters who have played a handful of games for their clubs and the pommies and kiwis,NSW are basically picking from 3 or 4 blokes with Farah and Wallace the pick and they are hardly setting the world on fire.

It is incredible really given the difference in population between the states.

A lot of people complain about DCE s paypacket but in light of the above and the fact that most of the Queensland boys want to stay at home there is not much choice for NSW clubs to pay money like Hunt and Moses got.

I think DCE is as good as any of them other than than Thurston and Cronk behind a big go forward pack which we look like getting in the future so have no real problem with what we pay him. The alternatives ain't that good.

NSW also have blake austin as a genuine option, and I think Sezar is also a NSW option.

And while he is still young, dont discredit Nathan Cleary.

At hooker there is no stand out compared to QLD.

At Fullback though I think NSW have the better options these days. Turbo, Teddy, Dugan, Hayne, etc...

Yep. Agree Fullback is choc full of talent but you get the job done at 679. The Blues great fullbacks haven't helped them win games.it is slightly possible there may be 5 fullbacks in the NSW side. The depth there is incredible.

Taylor and Elgey as options but not Cleary who is miles ahead of those 2?

Peats is another NSW hooker, imo our best and the GC struggle when he is injured.

Taylor comfortably has Cleary covered as we speak.

Cleary has Elgey covered though.

Anyway, it's semantics as Susan's point still stands even if you chuck Cleary into the NSW mix.

Yep. Forgot about Cleary. Good player. Mail up here is Peats body is a day to day proposition every season but is a tough Cookie who could handle origin but lacks creativity in my opinion.

When Farah still holds the mantle as best blue hooker and a half just starting to play hooker is close second it ain't good news.I like the Saints rake , he is underrated but not in the Queenslanders class.

My main point is we are not overpaying for DCE given what even mediocrity gets paid these days.

Last edited:
Anyone read this the other day? I tend to agree. Still though..grab it while you can boys!!

Panthers boss Gus Gould doesn’t believe there are any players in the NRL who are worthy of a $1 million pay check.

While a handful of players are – rightly or wrongly – hovering around the magic seven figure mark, Gus says no one even comes close to warranting that kind of coin.

“I don’t see a million dollar footballer in the competition at the moment,” he said on the Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

“I think it’s ridiculous that any individual should be earning a million dollars out of a fixed salary cap.

“I’m quite happy for them to earn it corporately if they can find third-party sponsors or business interests.

“I can’t see a million dollar player if you’re going to take it out of the salary cap.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...-cronk-smith-tedesco/otxhfhi1ggwuzngmzavdkt0i

Gus has a good point in absolute terms but the simple fact is you don't win premierships with an ordinary 679.

You need a complete spine to win a title so clubs simply pay through the nose to get them and the managers know that.I can't see it changing either.

Last edited:
NSW have to pick a good spine this year to match QLD. At the moment I'd even take Teddy, Keary, Pearce, Wallace. That's a good spine.

What Daley will pick is a different story

1 Tedesco
2 Dugan
3 Jennings
4 Hayne
5 Ferguson
6 Moylan
7 Maloney
8 Woods
9 Farah
10 Tamou
11 Jackson