[Resurrected] DCE is the worst halfback in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
DCE would, I feel, not be a great 5/8.

Really you need a player in that position who feeds your outside backs effectively and that's been Manly's problem now for years, since Green left.

Cust may have it, though I think he's better suited to half or hooker.

Really the only player who I've seen who has that ability at Manly is Schuster. I know I'll be hounded down, but all you have to do is look at how effective our backline is. Part of that is personnel. Part of it is giving space and creating uncertainty in the opposition's mind which requires an art of distribution, like Lyons had, where he knew how to effectively delay and time his pass creating uncertainty and being able to dummy effectively, thereby creating constant doubt in the opposition defence. Its obviously a rare art.

At present our backline is predictable outside DCE. Turbo creates uncertainty, which opens it up for the backline. Walker uses speed and evasion which makes him a top centre. But to get the best out of the backline you need someone who feeds them in a manner that creates openings.

Agree with Schuster, he would definitely add a new aspect.

The only thing that worries me about throwing Schuster in is that he's only played up to SG Ball level. He has a good amount of flair, but from what I've seen, still has a lot to learn in regards to managing that whilst also bringing it into the game at the right time.

I think a bench spot will probably suit him more for now if used this year until he has more experience playing against men rather than boys. It's shame that NSW/Qld Cup isn't playing as that is where I feel all good halves need to have a decent run in before stepping up to the NRL e.g DCE when he played a full season in 2020 with Sunshine Coast.

My thoughts are, the more games Cust plays, DCE game may improve as it seems to be an alternative last tackle option for us.
If DCE was due to come out of contract this year he would be lucky to attract $500k per year based on his form 2020. But to his defense we have chopped and changed his 5/8 partners.

Agree with Schuster, he would definitely add a new aspect.

The only thing that worries me about throwing Schuster in is that he's only played up to SG Ball level. He has a good amount of flair, but from what I've seen, still has a lot to learn in regards to managing that whilst also bringing it into the game at the right time.

I think a bench spot will probably suit him more for now if used this year until he has more experience playing against men rather than boys. It's shame that NSW/Qld Cup isn't playing as that is where I feel all good halves need to have a decent run in before stepping up to the NRL e.g DCE when he played a full season in 2020 with Sunshine Coast.

Quite logical Manly Army. It's a shame the Reggies are not playing and, yes, Schuster has only played serious junior comps, though he did play in a trial earlier this year and reports suggest he was classy. I very much doubt it, but there is a chance he wont be able to succeed at the next level.

I've no doubt that, given the small snippets of information we've heard and which I heard from someone very close to the football club, that Schuster is considered one of the next big things in the game for Manly, bigger than Hopa, Burbo even Cust. Hasler is obviously concerned to keep him in cotton wool at present, given he's only 18, but I've no doubt they expect big things from the kid. I dont think they would be too worried that he doesn't have the body to cope, because I understand he's as big as a forward, but with the outstanding skill of an inside back. He could be anything, but there's also a chance, and perhaps Des is thinking this, he could be thrown in too early and damage his potential and confidence.

I guess my argument is like the one Des used in his latest comments after the Warriors game. Despite Manly's horror run, you cant fall back on the injury excuse all the time. Sometimes you have to face reality. Same with Schuster's lack of experience in the Reggies. Somewhere along the line, you cant use that as an excuse not to get him in first grade. At some time a Sea Eagle has to be pushed out of the nest and taught to fly, otherwise it stays and never grows able to fend for itself. Reggies may not effectively restart even next year for a time. Waiting only delays the decision that must be made.

Last edited:
Well DCE has missed the second most amount of tackles in the team this season, so Joey is on the money. His partner in crime on that right edge, Siro, has missed the third most.

But how many tackles does he make. Such stats should be based on percentage not number. I havent seen how many tackles DCE is making this year, but in the past I have noticed he out tackles almost every other first grade half. He used to do twice the number of Cronk.

Well DCE has missed the second most amount of tackles in the team this season, so Joey is on the money. His partner in crime on that right edge, Siro, has missed the third most.
Doesn't tell the story, the misses I see DCE make are the second one in, in cover, might grab and fall off and comes again and covers the defender up - not a glaring one on one miss the attacker goes straight thru.

On our own goal line he has come up with some absolute rippers one on one - like holding up Kikau over the line by himself, then running down their winger and saving another try. He does a **** load of ball and all tackles against opposition back rowers.

The missed tackles i cannot stand are the ones when a player just completely miss reads the play and lets an attacker stroll past him, or when a player sprints up and grabs thin air that leads to a try - they are cardinal!

But how many tackles does he make. Such stats should be based on percentage not number. I havent seen how many tackles DCE is making this year, but in the past I have noticed he out tackles almost every other first grade half. He used to do twice the number of Cronk.
He has 197 tackles @ 85% tackle efficiency. Compared to most other right side halves in the comp. He's not appreciably more efficient nor has a higher workload than most of these guys in top 8. In fact he seems to be getting a lot less traffic than a few of them

Cleary 183 @ 82%
Hughes 202 @ 85%
Moses 159 @ 81% (10 games)
Flanagan 294 @ 86%
Williams 266 @ 89%
Pearce 296 @ 82%
Reynolds 194 @ 86%
Johnson 193 @ 83%

He has 197 tackles @ 85% tackle efficiency. Compared to most other right side halves in the comp. He's not appreciably more efficient nor has a higher workload than most of these guys in top 8. In fact he seems to be getting a lot less traffic than a few of them

Cleary 183 @ 82%
Hughes 202 @ 85%
Flanagan 294 @ 86%
Williams 266 @ 89%
Pearce 296 @ 82%
Reynolds 194 @ 86%
Johnson 193 @ 83%

Thanks for the info, if its accurate. The point I did make was 'in the past' and was comparing with Cronk. I dont have access to the tackles now but I recall DCE being well near the top of defensive half backs. Seems though that even if he is back in the pack, he's doing as good a job percentage wise as all the rest. So why bag him for poor defence. I read four with poorer averages, one equal, and two only a percent above. Only one has a significantly higher percentage

Lets put things in perspective and compare legends with legends shall we ....
Jonathan Thurston missed a few tackles as well and like DCE he is still a Legend
The 007 DCE legend Lives on .....
cherry-evansd-try-180711-sd-05.jpg

Thanks for the info, if its accurate. The point I did make was 'in the past' and was comparing with Cronk. I dont have access to the tackles now but I recall DCE being well near the top of defensive half backs. Seems though that even if he is back in the pack, he's doing as good a job percentage wise as all the rest. So why bag him for poor defence. I read four with poorer averages, one equal, and two only a percent above. Only one has a significantly higher percentage
It's as accurate as the Fox Sports NRL stats site allows it to be. Although I just checked on the NRL site and it says he has made 209 tackles at 87% - so a bit of a discrepancy. I wasn't bagging him for poor defence, I was just pointing out that Joey's comment has some basis in truth given he has missed the second most tackles in the team. His defence is no worse than any other half I agree, but the stats list was just trying to point out that comparing him to Cooper Cronk isn't representative of the tackling workload of most normal halfbacks in the NRL. I've always thought his defence was pretty good as a rule, especially his one on one efforts

I'm surprised Johns would have a go at him for his defence, as opposed to for his game management.
DCE is such a skilled player at times its easy to take for granted the good plays he does.
But someone has to take responsibility for the on-field team structure and demeanour and a few times that has been lacking and we've looked downright inept.
Our home game vs Knights (my only Brookie game this year!) was an example, we looked stronger then them but incapable of any cohesive attacking play.

It's as accurate as the Fox Sports NRL stats site allows it to be. Although I just checked on the NRL site and it says he has made 209 tackles at 87% - so a bit of a discrepancy. I wasn't bagging him for poor defence, I was just pointing out that Joey's comment has some basis in truth given he has missed the second most tackles in the team. His defence is no worse than any other half I agree, but the stats list was just trying to point out that comparing him to Cooper Cronk isn't representative of the tackling workload of most normal halfbacks in the NRL. I've always thought his defence was pretty good as a rule, especially his one on one efforts

Chippie I accept the stats given are more or less close enough, though the second stat you're giving suggests he's ahead of most. But I recall , I think it was two years ago, going through the tackle counts they used to supply of respective half backs, not just Cronk, and DCE was by far the highest tackler of the halves at that time, averaging something like 23 a game. Of course what I was reading may have been inaccurate as maybe the stats shown by the NRL because often its unclear who should get the tackle and I would suggest they are often not terribly accurate in counts. I have seen some stats that are seriously divergent from stats from other sources, so who do we believe. I can seriously only speak anecdotally, which is of course partial, but it seems to me he does a lot of the defensive work for the team. I dont recall Andrew Johns being a particularly reliable defender as it was always his skill in attack people spoke of

Cleary 183 @ 82%
Hughes 202 @ 85%
Flanagan 294 @ 86%
Williams 266 @ 89%
Pearce 296 @ 82%
Reynolds 194 @ 86%
Johnson 193 @ 83%

That probably doesn't take into account a third man flop which is counted as a tackle... I would bet that DCE has a lot less of those than most others on this list.

This game shows you how important just running hard and fast is.

Look at Melbourne, they don't even have their two main ball players in Smith and Munster, yet jacks and Hughes look like world beaters because Melbournes forwards are just steam rolling roosters. Brushing off tackles, quick play the balls, off loads.

Keary cannot get into the game.

I wonder how DCE would go in the Melbourne side with their well drilled side and great outside backs and forwards.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8