DCE - In Perspective

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Let's drop how the old negotiations went wrong with DCE some years ago and just keep to the facts he is on Massive coin....
As time has gone by I have witnessed numerous "Massive" deals for players that are so hot and cold they should be served at a buffet.....
Another thread lit a candle I have had watching many (Non Manly) games, many players like Latrell Mitchell, Milford, James Roberts and more particularly halves like Ash Taylor, Corey Norman, Morgan, Shaun Johnson, Moses (though I think is in for a good 2020 and in comparison for value as a player, DCE should be worth 4 -5 times ANY of them....so I recall how heavy DCE was judged after signing the forever Manly contract....ppl sweating on every error, missed tackle, heck if he blinked too much...
So many other halves go missing when the game is on the line, yet DCE makes Match winning clutch plays with key field position, chases, attacking leadership and the odd FG....most importantly is involved win, lose or draw, unlike many of his rivals in this key position.
To the credit of our Australian halfback DCE, even in tough times he has had a dig, to the point a couple of injuries he got a few years ago were from trying too hard....well in a way....taking hitups when noone else would, pushing passes to create and trying things when the team was doing it tough....but never, could i accuse him of not having a dig and so pleased for him that after a period of having an ordinary team around him, now has a power pack and a few strike players to allow him to show his immense talent.
People rightly have Turbo as our leading X Factor player, but I would not be surprised to see DCE win the best player in 2020 such is his ability and leadership.

Game management or effective game management has seemed to present some problems for D C E on some occasions with his Manly career . Some seasons have been better then others in this aspect . Very good instinctive type and off the cuff player and does so much better when his side has good go forward [ like a lot of instinctive players ] Always impressed with his good defensive work effort and is quite effective in that area as well . Intriguing how it may have panned out if the 850 K contract from 2015 or so and for three years would have eventuated and then his next Manly contract offer after that time frame [ just pure speculation of course how it might have gone ] Anyway a bit off tract there and overall certainly is a very valuable player for Manly and pleased that he was retained long term , Always tries to give his best for Manly and can not ask for more then that

Like most players, you're either a fan or you're not. Most people will find good or bad to support their opinion when it comes to any player. What annoys me is that it seems to be considered a criminal offence by some on here to criticise our marquee player, like he's beyond reproach.

DCE does some good stuff, but he also has his fair share of bad games. When he does bad stuff there is always a long list of excuses he gets afforded. In my opinion he lacks that elite level game management skill set, but then he makes up for it by being one of the best attacking running halves in the comp when the game is going his way. Also you can never fault his defence and his effort. He missed out on rep selection for quite a while because he was behind some very good players who are that next level up from him. Now that he has that opportunity let's hope it improves his game and he can work on some of those areas.

You do make a good point though, in terms of what he is being paid and what his peers are getting then he is good value for money. When you think about what halfback you would swap him for I would only entertain the thought of Cleary perhaps of current crop, and that is more long term thinking rather than direct comparison on current ability.

Like most players, you're either a fan or you're not. Most people will find good or bad to support their opinion when it comes to any player. What annoys me is that it seems to be considered a criminal offence by some on here to criticise our marquee player, like he's beyond reproach.

DCE does some good stuff, but he also has his fair share of bad games. When he does bad stuff there is always a long list of excuses he gets afforded. In my opinion he lacks that elite level game management skill set, but then he makes up for it by being one of the best attacking running halves in the comp when the game is going his way. Also you can never fault his defence and his effort. He missed out on rep selection for quite a while because he was behind some very good players who are that next level up from him. Now that he has that opportunity let's hope it improves his game and he can work on some of those areas.

You do make a good point though, in terms of what he is being paid and what his peers are getting then he is good value for money. When you think about what halfback you would swap him for I would only entertain the thought of Cleary perhaps of current crop, and that is more long term thinking rather than direct comparison on current ability.
Apart from not swapping him with Cleary, agree with some good points in there mate and yes, he has had a few ordinary games as even the Elite Andrew Johns, Lockyer and Thurston had, especially playing as a half when the forwards have been dominated...but what I like is he still played the games and had a dig even in those poor games, some errors and poor management, but never through lack of trying.
Some of these other Marquee players simply go missing when the going gets tough, where DCE can make a few clangers and errors trying to make a difference, still giving his all for the Manly team and fans....I can live with that...and his price tag in comparison to many others, as you pointed out, is not so bad in reflection...

Apart from not swapping him with Cleary, agree with some good points in there mate and yes, he has had a few ordinary games as even the Elite Andrew Johns, Lockyer and Thurston had, especially playing as a half when the forwards have been dominated...but what I like is he still played the games and had a dig even in those poor games, some errors and poor management, but never through lack of trying.
Some of these other Marquee players simply go missing when the going gets tough, where DCE can make a few clangers and errors trying to make a difference, still giving his all for the Manly team and fans....I can live with that...and his price tag in comparison to many others, as you pointed out, is not so bad in reflection...
Yes but on the balance of consistent performance at all levels there is no way that DCE is in same class as Johns, Lockyer, Thurston and Cronk. He may get there, time will tell. But at the moment he is pretty much like a lot of other halves in the comp, up and down. His week in and week out performances aren't head and shoulders above the likes of Cleary, Moses, Pearce, Brooks, Reynolds etc.

Yes but on the balance of consistent performance at all levels there is no way that DCE is in same class as Johns, Lockyer, Thurston and Cronk. He may get there, time will tell. But at the moment he is pretty much like a lot of other halves in the comp, up and down. His week in and week out performances aren't head and shoulders above the likes of Cleary, Moses, Pearce, Brooks, Reynolds etc.
I have DCE definitely a way to go to reach the lofty heights of Johns, Thurston level...only used them in same context as halves that are still human and played ordinary behind badly beaten packs, yet still tried - THIS is a Champion quality.
I agree also his rivals you mention are not way behind week to week, in fact at times are better, but Moses, Brooks, Pearce can go missing far more, which was my point....DCE even in his worst games is still involved and having a go which I respect.

One view: Thurston and Johns were dominating on-field personalities, they demanded control of everything, at times even to the point of berating their own players and having full on tantrums at refs. DCE has a different personality altogether, much calmer and more controlled. He's probably just as competitive in many ways, and I suspect his skill levels are not so far off those blokes
Cronk was different again, he lacked some of the footy ability of the other 3 but more than made up for that by perfecting those things he could do. And he always played in highly organised teams so he didn't have to take on the dominating role that Thurston and Johns adopted.

I have DCE definitely a way to go to reach the lofty heights of Johns, Thurston level...only used them in same context as halves that are still human and played ordinary behind badly beaten packs, yet still tried - THIS is a Champion quality.
I agree also his rivals you mention are not way behind week to week, in fact at times are better, but Moses, Brooks, Pearce can go missing far more, which was my point....DCE even in his worst games is still involved and having a go which I respect.

Take last night's season re-start game as a perfect example. Other than when Croft scored his own try and almost laid on a try for Milford ... neither of Brisbane's halves had any influence on the game whatsoever. Both were missing almost the whole game apart from those two times. In similar games for Manly, DCE isn't a half who could be accused of going missing. He'll be in there making 20-30 tackles and even if he overplays his hand like he tends to do when trying too hard, he'll still be heavily involved in attack. He'll never die wondering.

TBH I wouldn't swap Cherry for any half in the NRL.

If walker does his job, dce will be freed up to reek havoc with suli and turbo on the right edge. He can go missing at times but i think he and cleary are about even. Clearly does have more big game moments.. dce lost those over the years but he still kicks a field goal with the best of them. I expect a massive year from dce... next weeks battle in the halves will be fun to watch. Walker will cream moses on the left edge just wait and see

Last year I only got to one match. Manly v Titans on the GC. From where I sat, behind the northern goal posts, DCE set up two identical tries and appeared to be the most enthusiastic and dedicated player on the field in defence and attack.
He can get it wrong with trying too hard but I reckon he puts his heart and soul into every match he plays.
Some of my most epic lounge room celebrations have been after a DCE field goal.

Let’s see how he goes with the new form of the game. The Cowboys are schooling Gold Coast on the back of a great tactical kicking game. Based on the first two games of this year I’m not expecting the same control from Cherry. His long kicking game is great but it was of more value in the days of wrestle mania when it was hard to make ground.

DCE was young and a bit naive when he was in the contract saga and I believe was mismanaged by his manager and seem to be a bit of that entitlement generation ,With success Coming quickly
But through all that he was attacked by the media and all non Manly people , When there had been plenty of other players backflip Eg: Tedesco , Inglis
Once settled though DCE put his head down worked hard on and off the field and is now a leader in our team
I for one glad he stayed

True.....not many got as “high” as Johns!!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6