DCE and who should be Captain

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
They can be very proud of their season. They didn't have a roster that was considered anywhere near ours, and played with plenty of heart, and in distinction to us, played as a TEAM.
Absolutely they can be proud. I'm in Tamworth and the affinity they formed with the local community here was brilliant.

Just saying that, like the Warriors, we've played most of the season with a decimated roster. Ultimately, the Warriors will finish around 10 or 11. Commendable given the circumstances but hardly anything to throw a party over.

I must be unusual .... I am able to say I don't think DCE is a great Captain, without putting shiite on him, or abusing him ....

But, looking at the squad, I don't see a better candidate .... sure Jake has the potential. but is he emotionally ready ? maybe ... Marty, seriously, I have never seen a player less invested in the team, his own performance, yeah, but have never seen him interact with a team mate on the field ....

DCE is a good Captain without being a great Captain ... but there is probably only 2 or 3 of those in the whole comp ..

I was watching the latest match again after some DCE bagging, which quite frankly astonishes me.

If you look carefully at the structure and play making of this team it almost all centres around DCE. They all seem to wait for him to initiate play. He's the solitary one running about the field trying to initiate the attack and for some time he's had a pedestrian back line that didn't have the creativity to use his set ups and more recently he's had a different backline almost every week. Half backs need creative 5/8s as an optional play maker. Cronk-Munster, Cronk-Leary, Thurston-Morgan, Cleary-Laui, Reynolds-Cody Walker and in the past Moses-Gutherson

I was encouraged when Des finally got some young players like Harper, Funa and Hopoate in that back line. Cust is also showing improvement. The problem remains though that if DCE does nothing, nothing but bash and barge from the forwards happens. Little wonder that the forwards have been scoring the majority of tries this season.

DCE will be a different proposition next season as long as Des gets Schuster in at 5/8 immediately the season commences. They need a second option as play maker. Cust tries hard but he's a half back, not a 5/8 and those positions are quite different in requirements. He may well be a fine hooker in the Toovey style.

The problem at present and for most of the year, opposition teams just have to watch and cover DCE and his play and other than the forwards effortsD in the middle, the Manly attack can be stifled. I suggest those who doubt this look carefully at who initiates the play almost every time at Manly.

The question of Captain is open as far as I'm concerned. Not sure Jake is the answer. Need someone who calls the shots. I suspect Schuster may take the role in years to come.
And this changes come Saturday with tommy turbo back it frees up DCE a lot.

if DCE Schuster and turbo play any good amount of time together in 2021 that is a lethal 1,6,7.

if Fainu is cleared he adds another dimension as well Late 2021,2022

Lol
I almost wish dce busted himself and missed the second half of this season
Wede be stone cold last.. fact.
Look at the games we have won since Tom went down... single-handed dce victories.. even the close loses or the ref robberies had dce doing EVERYTHING...

Ridiculous thread.
Yeah, f me how much can we expect one player to do lol. It would be interesting to see DCE out and turbo in to see if the results reflect anything different

Honestly Daly is a terrific captain.

Measured , gets on reasonably well with the refs , knows when to go the challenge ( or not ) and is hugely respected by his teammates.

As this thread was about DCE the captain not DCE the player can any of you name who’d make a better captain right now than Daly????

Oh that’s right , you can’t.

I must be unusual .... I am able to say I don't think DCE is a great Captain, without putting shiite on him, or abusing him ....

But, looking at the squad, I don't see a better candidate .... sure Jake has the potential. but is he emotionally ready ? maybe ... Marty, seriously, I have never seen a player less invested in the team, his own performance, yeah, but have never seen him interact with a team mate on the field ....

DCE is a good Captain without being a great Captain ... but there is probably only 2 or 3 of those in the whole comp ..
Ummmm Marty interacted quite a bit the other night & I’ve seen him do it quite often mate.....also nominated for the Ken Stephens Medal for his work in Samoa & the measles outbreak that has slowed down considerably due to his perseverance & generosity. I couldn’t be more proud that he is a Manly man! Also think he’d make a great Captain!

Last edited:
Yeah, f me how much can we expect one player to do lol. It would be interesting to see DCE out and turbo in to see if the results reflect anything different
I was thinking the same..
I love Tom, think he is honestly the best fullback in the game, but it blows my mind that dce busts his backside week in week out, and has done for the last 9 years, but cops nothing but hate on this forum, yet tom, who's on more money, sits out 50% of most seasons yet not a word is spoken against him...
Dce out for a season with Tom playing a full season would still be a wooden spoon contending season.. we need BOTH fit for this team to be a finals contender...

I remember when Tuivasa-Sheck got the captaincy over here in Auckland. People were shocked and surprised, but he has proven to be a great leader. Maybe there is someone of captaincy material that those inside the club can see, and we can’t as of yet. Jake T is too emotionally charged to do it at this stage. Maybe in 5 years, DCE will be retired, and one of the young guns will be ready to take on the role.

DCE has inspired his team to many wins . Johnathan Thurston was a great captain of a great quality Cowboys team and also the captain of poor quality Cowboy teams that failed to make the 8 as well
The moral of the story
You cant lead troops to victory that fire blanks
Good accurate comparison... Thurston was a great player, and led the Cowboys through miserable seasons and to grand finals (including a premiership). I haven’t got a problem with DCE’s captaincy.

I dont have any problem with DCE as a player or as our captain but do think he tends to take too much on & tries to do too much, especially in situations when the likes of Turbo, Walker & Fainu are out (as they were out this season).

Relieving him of the captaincy so it would be one less thing for him to have to worry about (& it's no small thing being the captain) would free him up enough to play his natural game I think. The poor bloke's looked uptight to me this season.

What about Sirro as a candidate for captaincy (or co-captaincy with DCE?)

I think DCE is still currently our best option as captain.

The thing about our last couple of premiership winning teams is that they were all brothers in arms looking to hurt the opposition with each other. Those premiership winning teams weren’t about having one great captain driving the team to success.

It would have been great to have King Gutho on our books though. He’s tenacious, always hungry to win, always looking to inspire his troops and always backing up on plays. He even looks like the glue in this photo of 3 legends

1600080215646.jpeg

They can be very proud of their season. They didn't have a roster that was considered anywhere near ours, and played with plenty of heart, and in distinction to us, played as a TEAM.
absolutely. If any team had the right to throw in the towel ,it was them, but they didnt .They kept on digging deep, even as they kept losing players, they never gave up, they played with heart and gave their all everytime they hit the park. Well done Warriors

If I was confident Foran would play 80 minutes I'd say make him Captain. Can't go another season with the politician in charge.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2