DCE 2 more years and coaching gig

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The article did say that DCE recognised that his next deal would be significantly lower than his last so hopefully we will save money there and be able to spend it on some upgrades or new signings

Jesus christ this club has lost the plot

Forget the fact its DCE for a second - this extension is effectively signing a 33 year old to a contract that starts in two years time

This puts us in the idiot tier of clubs because smart clubs wait to see what 35 year olds are capable of when they are 35 before they sign them - and when they do, its for one year at a time like Melbourne purple did with Smith

DCEs form could fall through the floor in the next two years, and he could start picking up injuries. It benefits noone but DCE to sign him for another two years this far out.

His pay for this extension obviously will be a reduction on what he gets currently but who's to say in 2022 his 2024-5 form will justify what we have agreed to pay him.

Last edited:

Forget the fact its DCE for a second - this extension is effectively signing a 33 year old to a contract that starts in two years time

This puts us in the idiot tier of clubs because smart clubs wait to see what 35 year olds are capable of when they are 35 before they sign them - and when they do, its for one year at a time like Melbourne purple did with Smith

DCEs form could fall through the floor in the next two years, and he could start picking up injuries. It benefits noone but DCE to sign him for another two years this far out.

His pay for this extension obviously will be a reduction on what he gets currently but who's to say in 2022 his 2024-5 form will justify what we have agreed to pay him.
this deal, is weird. MY opinion is that he has kept this deal purposely quiet because of the hoo haa from the last one and the realisation of what is expected of being the million dollar man. players are rapidly gaining a realisation, not all but some. i respect the **** out of that, he has been unfairly hassled for the worst contract negotiations ever and the dude needs some peace id expect.

i am not seeing a man chasing that tag at the startup fins and really if his form warrants,manly could offer close to any sydney team moving forward if he was deemed a priority

the devil is in the detail of the contract really. if manly has the option to nudge him out when he isnt cutting it , then fair enough. id prefer that than having to test honour, that stuff is generally with the coach and des might be living on the greek islands in 18 months

The strange thing is he is such a maligned player by some fans and I guess that’s because he may appear elitist, given how well spoken he is and maybe his ‘backflip’ on the Titans didn’t help his persona to the some and he was perceived to be all about money.
I think it all started when he was the new kid on the block at Manly. Younger than the alpha boys - Snake, Gift, Watmough, Stevie :h: The club was planning for the future and trying to balance the cap. All the old boys wanted to stay but the new kid took up a lot of the cap. This began the dislike of Cherry amongst the cool kids at Manly.
Then when the club put their faith in Mr Karma (Foz) and withdrew Cherry's offer he had to look around.
It was well within his right to backflip on the Titans deal but the Queensland media, led by Tallis, ripped him to shreds for it. The Queensland players including big 3 (wankers) from Melbourne joined in the hate. Newspaper articles crucified the guy.
I believe this treatment of a young man was disgusting and unforgivable. The mental health toll would have been huge for him and his family. It was large scale bullying and everyone involved should have known better.
As well as his playing talent DCE must be a very mentally strong and he's obviously an intelligent bloke. His interviews are always humble and a lot more insightful than the usual, "Yeah, the boys done good."
The only problem I ever see with his play is trying too hard and getting out of position because others aren't doing their jobs.
Anyway - that's my rant. Glad to have a man like Cherry as a Sea Eagle.
As for Foz, this year he's more than making up for his "Karma" comments. He's wound back the clock and playing out of his skin. Would be so cool for Chez and Foz to win another title together.
Go you good things.

They waited for him to play one decent game ( only kicking ) from the last 20 to come up with this upgrade .Now we will have to wait until after 2025 for our next title .

All the old boys wanted to stay but the new kid took up a lot of the cap
I think that's all correct based on various reports etc except this part, when DCE won a premiership he was on pretty much minimum wage and even when he was upgraded I think the others you mention took up most of the cap.

After a few years he was entitled to be paid at market rate so yeah that may have been when some of the old guard got their noses out of joint about him not being content to wait for some future payday. Gift was unfortunately moved on in 2015 (the NRL wouldn't allow Manly to offer him what they deemed less than his market value) but as we know he barely played that year and was finished in NRL. Choc Watmough also left in 2015 (lol at Eels, a huge long term deal and again he rarely played and never to the same level).

2015 was the year of the Titans contract and Manly wooing him back during the (then legal) cooling off period. Choc and Gift had already left, as we now know Foz was mostly out the door already, and Snake and Matai were increasingly hampered by injury.

So yeah, but just a bit of context for that bit :)

(if that's wrong I'm sure someone will set the record straight!)

The article did say that DCE recognised that his next deal would be significantly lower than his last so hopefully we will save money there and be able to spend it on some upgrades or new signings
Let’s hope the nrl don’t step in and prevent us from offering a lower $ contract, like they did with Glen Stewart

I think that's all correct based on various reports etc except this part, when DCE won a premiership he was on pretty much minimum wage and even when he was upgraded I think the others you mention took up most of the cap.

After a few years he was entitled to be paid at market rate so yeah that may have been when some of the old guard got their noses out of joint about him not being content to wait for some future payday. Gift was unfortunately moved on in 2015 (the NRL wouldn't allow Manly to offer him what they deemed less than his market value) but as we know he barely played that year and was finished in NRL. Choc Watmough also left in 2015 (lol at Eels, a huge long term deal and again he rarely played and never to the same level).

2015 was the year of the Titans contract and Manly wooing him back during the (then legal) cooling off period. Choc and Gift had already left, as we now know Foz was mostly out the door already, and Snake and Matai were increasingly hampered by injury.

i think essentially all of this sounds pretty close to how i have read it .

while this occured i dont think he is defined by this on the forum just used sparingly to balance the integrity ledger when people sprout the superspeaker super jesus persona about his on field input Manly many of the conversations on here derive from people overstating his contributions and ignoring more notable players in our team. we are haters because of opposed feelings being challenged

DCE is an enigma , i reckon a top bloke at times to his detriment , and his contract and how it played out reflected the leadership in the manly camp for many years off field. eerily we have a similar circumstance, albeit not a consistent issue lately

big critic, no hate , just footy stuff, passing, kicking, thinking tactics

Funny that Croker mentioned in his interview he hopes DCE accepts less cash this time so a few of the others can stay a bit longer. Shows everyone is well aware of the dynamic and the consequences, as they should be, trying to sign marquee players and still balance the cap is part and parcel of modern professional footy.

Thanks SER8
My note are from the book of N'pops solely, no inside knowledge.
Solid memories of the backflip media in Queensland though. And it still makes me want to go all Matai on Tallis....and Cam Smith...and a few more..@:mad:
Go Manly!

Yep, the treatment of DCE by some in the game and many in the media was vicious and prolonged. And ridiculous, given the cooling off period was part of the NRL's contract process at the time. Not to mention other high profile players such as Inglis and Tedesco back-flipped yet never attracted any vitriol.

It's probably a reason why I tend to defend him against criticism, he's already worn more criticism than could ever be justified!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2