Dave Smith to Resign

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agree @conanu. I don't have pay TV. I do have a Netflix subscription for about $10 per month. Very happy with it (needs a VPN service such as unblock-us to make it worthwhile IMO, which I have). I also pay $3 per week for an NRL Live subscription so I can watch games on my iPad. Other than not being able to watch non FTA NRL on a decent sized screen, I'm happy with my setup.

Imagine if the NRL (with the help of Nine for production) setup it's own channel. Teamed up with a streaming service like Netflix or Stan and charged say $40 per month for a subscription. So for say $50 per month you had on demand movies and a 24 hr NRL service in one. How many subscribers in NSW and Qld are going to maintain an $80-$100 FOXTEL subscription with no NRL content when you can get a 24 hr NRL channel plus on demand movies for around half the cost?
Can't you use a chrome cast to send the video from iPad to TV, or use an iPad to HDMI adapter?

I have also used standard quicktime on my mack to display my ipad on my mac and then moved that to the TV.

Now I just use the chrome cast or plug directly into the tv though

• 📚
Reactions: Rex
I don't know how true this is but apparently those from Foxtel are downright pissed with the NRL over the TV deal and there are reports coming out of Fox that the NRL didn't even bother with bids from Seven or Ten for the FTA rights, they just negotiated with Nein.

Smith and Geenturd with other NRL admin staff spent 3 hours at Narrabeen yesterday locked away with our board.. I wonder what that was all about. Why were they here. I will have to get more info on that one. It is spot on information as well.

Can't you use a chrome cast to send the video from iPad to TV, or use an iPad to HDMI adapter?

I have also used standard quicktime on my mack to display my ipad on my mac and then moved that to the TV.

Now I just use the chrome cast or plug directly into the tv though

TBH mate I haven't tried it, but I read on a couple of forums that the app developers have written it in such a way that it either blocks any form of sending the display to another device or keeps it the same dimensions as what's on the iPad.

Smith and Geenturd with other NRL admin staff spent 3 hours at Narrabeen yesterday locked away with our board.. I wonder what that was all about. Why were they here. I will have to get more info on that one. It is spot on information as well.

Workshopping with DT hacks and ZtH on Sunday mornings sports headlines to derail our squad before the important Parramatta game.

Penns and the NRL forced into a Plan B after the shoulder charge fiasco failed to take out more Manly players, and hobble Toovey's run to the finals. Clearly the bad news, sackings and suspensions aren't stopping our run.

Workshopping with DT hacks and ZtH on Sunday mornings sports headlines to derail our squad before the important Parramatta game.

Penns and the NRL forced into a Plan B after the shoulder charge fiasco failed to take out more Manly players, and hobble Toovey's run to the finals. Clearly the bad news, sackings and suspensions aren't stopping our run.
With a cameo appearance from Daniel Weidler...

Thanks for that info LV, it is lucky they met with the board, I am sure our two footy club reps on the board inc. Vidmar would have kept Greenturd honest!

Phil Gould is a knob , but I would have 100% trust in him running the game.I believe he could make the game bigger & better than ever before , once he rights this sinking ship.
I don't think Gould's a knob (I think he is directed to 'entertain' with Rabs) but totally agree with the rest @robbiea, and he would bring a lot of common sense to the table.

I would like to team him with someone like Andrew Webster who is passionate about the code and could also help with communicating the plan. He shares a lot of fan's frustration with the game.

Here is Webster's latest article care of SMH........link......
link: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...th-must-fix-rugby-league-20150820-gj3ful.html

And his SMH article from last September..........link......
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...to-do-his-job-and-fix-it-20140922-10kak3.html

Last edited:
Here is Webster's latest article care of SMH........link......
link: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...th-must-fix-rugby-league-20150820-gj3ful.html
Interesting that Andrew Webster, who works for the SMH, states (see above) that Rupert Murdoch is THE most powerful man on the planet.

Murdoch still controls 70% of print media in Aust capital cities. And internet news services still mostly link to these print media websites.

Apart from online streaming potentially challenging his content dominance, Murdoch will be very concerned about the growth of websites like this one:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/
Huffington Post's business model is to have very low costs by have very few staff. They keep their costs low by posting blogs on news topics. The bloggers get paid nothing. People power.
News not driven by one person's ideology.

With current developments, Murdoch's stranglehold on world power may show significant signs of waning.

TBH mate I haven't tried it, but I read on a couple of forums that the app developers have written it in such a way that it either blocks any form of sending the display to another device or keeps it the same dimensions as what's on the iPad.

I have Stan and just picked up Cromecast, seems to be working fine from my laptop, not sure about using it with an iPad though.

I don't know how true this is but apparently those from Foxtel are downright pissed with the NRL over the TV deal and there are reports coming out of Fox that the NRL didn't even bother with bids from Seven or Ten for the FTA rights, they just negotiated with Nein.

If true Smith must go , that's just underhanded!!

I still think Fox will bid, they have to or face the loss of tens of thousands of subscribers.

In the interim a lot of chest pumping will take place.

Personally I think smith is good for the game and has done a sound job. Essentially he is in charge of growing the games finances, he understands his lack of footy cred and has appointed other people to run his footy operations. His time to comewill be reviewing there roles and contributions. While i hate the greenterd, every exec is entitled to a few hic cups along the way as long as he is kicking other goals. In fairness we wouldnt really know about his results but from a fans perspective it would be comforting to know that he has been told to get his act together or else. The game shouldnt take another 6 months or greenterds flailings.

I feel comfortable with the smith in charge that clubs are being able to contribute financially . He has been very helpful in allowing clubs like the knights and tigpies a lifeline. This really highlights how poorly the game was run previously. Under gallop there seemed to be an agenda to break clubs financially to enable the super leage concept to re emerge.smith has had options to kill clubs but seems to prefer nurturing the clubs and growing them. A very noble act in my books especially as so many expansion bids are bashing on his door

Time will tell about the current deal but i think he has played a strong hand in showing fox that the glory days are well and truely over. Regardless of whats written they need the nrl more than the nrl needs them. The nrl will be able to sell its games many many ways.to be honest apart from the cash fox is counter productive to promoting the game due to its exclusive nature due to subscription. Achieving slightly less but with control and a far reaching broadcast may actually help grow the game long term.

Regardless of the AFL fox will bid heavily for the nrl because apart from sport they offer very little to the general public in these expanding times. Lets not forget this deal currently being negotiated is for 2 years away. What does joe public think as netflix, stan and other platforms readily available and fox spitting the dummy. His investment in the Afl only highlighs how short they are of quality content.

Making rupert squirm and spit is a good thing for the game on so many levels.

Regardless of the judiciary , the refs , stadiums , the deals i know that with smith in charge our team, the leagues culture will be given every chance to survive and in time prosper. And to be honest we should be grateful for that. Our club is a financial basket case and can only survive on the backs of wealthy fans .

Im not a bloodthirsty fan (maybe a lil bit),but these guys have taken all the good rough stuff out of the game.Who gave them the permission to destroy & completely remould a sport ?
Its verging on criminal !

Maybe moving games from Brookie to ANZ, wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2