Darius Boyd

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Moondog the ruse pulled by Greenberg to 'fix' the Barba affair led directly to a degree of suspicion within the rugby league community when it comes to players' personal issues. Well done Todd.

I don't doubt Darius has issues and I'm sure everyone wishes him well. At his best he's a tremendous player, not much good in an interview though.

Moondog said:
Geez, a lot of players seem to be suffering from depression these days. Is'nt it possible some of them are just dickheads?

Yes, but it stems from them having no coping skills when circumstances don't go their way :cool:

Darius apparently broke down in the SOO dressingroom when presented with his 20th Jersey. He stated 'you are the only Family I've really had' :(

Not a great sense of self worth there. Would not make his wife feel great about herself either :s

Good luck to him in his re-evaluation of his life :angel:

call my a cynic.. but why do I get the impression on his return. He will ask to leave as he is 'homesick' and wants to goto Brisbane to play for Wayne Bennett.

KaZa said:
call my a cynic.. but why do I get the impression on his return. He will ask to leave as he is 'homesick' and wants to goto Brisbane to play for Wayne Bennett.

Darius does have a get out clause, if Bennet ceases to be the Coach.

Would be ironic if Barba got booted to make room for Darius :p

Moondog said:
Geez, a lot of players seem to be suffering from depression these days. Is'nt it possible some of them are just dickheads?

Hear what you're saying Moondog, and think there's some truth in it. However, when someone says they're suffering with depression, I'm happy to take them at their word, because the consequences if they are, and don't receive help, can be tragic.

I used to be of the mindset that everyone has tough times, you just deal with it. But having had two mates in recent years reach the point of no return with depression, I've changed my tune.

Before the mental health issue became public I was going to make some comments ..so now .. still make them but I bit more measured. I dislike Boyd. The final straw for me was to watch him wondering around the football field for the Knights and appearing to not give it a red hot go.

It is said that he is very good friends with Alex McKinnon, for someone who has a narrow band of friends/family this would be extra devastating. I am assuming that the Bennett to Brisbane has also rocked his boat. Maybe Brisbane can not take him in their cap. Where is he going?

These issues do not cause the problem but maybe triggered the recent actions (hotel room and seeking help).

I do not like him but hope he can find a way to like himself.

Regardless of how much a tosser he is the press going to his grandmothers house and printing photos of an apparent deserted house when Boyd is in treatment for depression is very poor.

mosto said:
I used to be of the mindset that everyone has tough times, you just deal with it. But having had two mates in recent years reach the point of no return with depression, I've changed my tune.

All good but I bet your mates didn't earn more than the Prime Minister for working 10 months a year and were cheered by an adoring fan base at least every second week.

manlyfan76 said:
Regardless of how much a tosser he is the press going to his grandmothers house and printing photos of an apparent deserted house when Boyd is in treatment for depression is very poor.

I find that disgraceful in all situations ... reporters and camera crew outside court rooms chasing after people. Worse in this case. What does it add? Yep agreed, very poor form.

Utility Player said:
mosto said:

All good but I bet your mates didn't earn more than the Prime Minister for working 10 months a year and were cheered by an adoring fan base at least every second week.

When it comes to preventing someone taking their life, I'm not sure how their pay packet or job is relevant.

mosto said:
Utility Player said:
mosto said:

When it comes to preventing someone taking their life, I'm not sure how their pay packet or job is relevant.
The research suggests mental illness does not discriminate on the basis of income.

I just get sick and tired of these high profile highly paid athletes playing the depression card.

Let them try working in a job they dislike but have to do so that they can pay the bills and then see how depressed they get.

Utility Player said:
I just get sick and tired of these high profile highly paid athletes playing the depression card.

Let them try working in a job they dislike but have to do so that they can pay the bills and then see how depressed they get.

Depression is not a card but I see you've chosen to play the bitterness card.

Narky I know, but uninformed blather like yours really gives me the ****s.

Well opinions are a bit like you

By the way I am quite happy with my lot in life and was making a general comment about the average Joes of the world who manage to get on with the job without running off to rehab.

southsideeagle said:
It is said that he is very good friends with Alex McKinnon, for someone who has a narrow band of friends/family this would be extra devastating.
I do not like him but hope he can find a way to like himself.

Yep.

He should think of his good friend Alex, wake up and hopefully appreciate what he's got and how lucky he is.

Brett Finch said on the Footy show that some media have gone over the top. He said someone called Darius a Jerk and D'head but most of the footy players think that is what he is. Do people know who he is talking about?

Masked Eagle said:
Brett Finch said on the Footy show that some media have gone over the top. He said someone called Darius a Jerk and D'head but most of the footy players think that is what he is. Do people know who he is talking about?

Don't know who it was, but I hope now that we don't get a backlash on that reporter/media person who has said what 95% of people were thinking at the time. Based on that information available at that time I certainly subscribed to that view.

Since we are now talking depression I have two thoughts. And please I am not meaning to offend people.

1) If he is actually suffering from depression I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs. I do have friends and family that do suffer, and until I saw them I would have said 'it's a load of bollocks', just get over it.

2) It's the typical escape clause for people acting like knobs. I do think it can be convenient to cite these types of reasons to excuse some peoples behaviours when in fact they are just tools. This has not been made better by the grandstanding of Greenburg on Barba. And I think we are all a little jaded as a result.

The reality is you just don't know. Only Darius and those very close to him would really know (and perhaps even they don't). I hope the whole situation is a positive life changer for him.

Masked Eagle said:

Phil Rothfield

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4