Daniel's round 5 preview: Somethings Gotta give

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member

We have just come through another round of “upsets� and as another member of the site said, “Is it fair to call them upsets anymore�?
It seems that every game that should be an obvious win ends up with a challenge. There are only some teams that have emerged with the ability to safely show they can win most matches they play. Namely Storm, Sea Eagles and to an extent the Raiders. These teams have al but beaten those they have come up against and done so convincingly, with the exception of the Storm. Still I would be hard pressed to tip against them at this point.

What all this boils down to in the end is one hell of an awesome competition and great football entertainment week in week out. 2005 will be a year to remember for most fans of the game, whether your team is winning or not.
With that long winded intro out of the way lets get to the round 5 Previews………

Game 1: Panthers vs Storm
There were times in the Panthers game on Friday where they looked ok, but overall they look more like the team we saw back in 2002 who struggled to move from the bottom of the table. They are definitely a team on the way down and the Eels were equally as unimpressive. The game was messy and left nothing but a smile on my face, knowing Manly will walk all over these 2.

In complete contrast the Storm showed yet again what a quality and classy outfit they are. The combinations they have are lethal and even with one of the smaller forward packs in the league they were able to get up over the more powerful Broncos and completely humiliate them in a display of amazing defence and awe inspiring attack.

I think this is probably an opportunity for an upset by the Panthers, and if they can get their game heads back on they may come up with one. Despite the Panthers poor performance in recent weeks I still believe this could be a close one.

Daniel’s Tip: Storm by 10+

Game 2: Dragons vs Sea Eagles

The Dragons were fairly convincingly beat by the Raiders. Their defence needs some intense work as well as their attack. It is clear that they rely on Barrett for inspiration and leadership all over the park. This means that when he is off the park the team seems to lose a little direction. They are hurting quite badly at the moment and desperately seeking a win. The return of Gasnier should bolster both their on field defence and attack, the question is how much though?

The team showed glimpses of a quality outfit but it seems something is working against them behind the season. They don’t have their heads and hearts in the right place and this is translating to their on field performances.

The Sea Eagles are coming off fresh from a buy and key players who were suffering from minor niggling injuries should come back into play. Inspiration leaders such as Terry Hill and Ben Kennedy will be fighting fit and leading the younger blokes around the park. The return of Chris hicks should also lead to a few sensation bursting line breaks and tries. No doubt fresh in their minds will be the humiliating defeat they suffered last year, going down in the final minutes after leading for much of the match. This could either prove a hoodoo for the players involved from last year or it could spur them on to humiliate the cellar dwellers.

You just never know with WIN stadium, its always a tough place to battle it out. The Dragons will really want to win this game as it will prove them to a lot of their fans and start their campaign heading in the right direction. The way the comp is going at the moment who knows.

Daniel’s Tip: Manly are red hot the moment. Manly by 10

Game 3: Sharks vs Cowboys

Both teams are coming off convincing wins on the weekend, the sharks got up in a powerful display over the Bulldogs and the cowboys over the knights.

Of the 2 wins the Sharks showed better form over a still strong team. Even though the score was still close, beating the Bulldogs is never easy and for a sharks team who have been up and down it has marked their spot as a side with something to prove. Admittedly I didn’t see much of the game but from the reports I heard both teams put in solid and gutsy performances and both deserved the win. I am still not completely convinced of the Sharks, they show moments of brilliance and then quickly switch back to their tragic style messy disorganised football.

The Cowboys have been coming on strongly in the last few weeks and are still showing much of the form that they finished with last year. Whilst this far out and with the current up and down nature of the competition its hard to pick anyone for a top 8 spot, but if Cowboys keep up their regular and repeated current form then they should be a force in the top 8 again come the end of the year.

This game is going to be a tough one to pick and home ground advantage probably will have a lot to do with this game as either team is capable of winning it.
Its hard not to get caught up in the hype of the Cowboys as they were a lot of peoples “second� team last year.

Daniel’s Tip: A game that could go either way, Sharks but I am only 60% confident on that one.

Game 4: Tigers vs Warriors

The Tigers are at home and are on the improve. Who would have thought that they could topple both the grand finalists?
I still believe that they will end up further down the table toward the year end, but they have shown enough quality football to prove their worth.
They convincingly beat the Roosters last week in a match that showed fairly good football throughout. It was hard to fault the play of either team.

The Warriors well they finally shook the hoodoo and came up with a massive win at home against the bunnies. Showing that perhaps they may just come up with some good play this year and end up as promised in the 8. They convincingly took apart a much smaller and weaker team, who lost a lot when they lost their older more experienced fullback.

I expect a tight one here. The battle of the forwards should be good with some of the biggest guy up front and the quality halves should be good to watch. Both teams also have blinding pace in the outside back and are hungry to get some more wins. In all this will be one of the matches of the round.

Daniel’s Tip: Warriors if they get out to an early lead should maintain it.

Game 5: Broncos vs Eels

Even with a win last weekend against the Panthers hasn’t shown me anything that would say the Eels have found form. It was a messy and sloppy display by both teams. Whether it was a lack of leadership on both teams or simply the fact that they are struggling to compete I don’t know. What I do know is that if they don’t find some better form soon or they will be left behind in this otherwise close competition.

The Broncos are red faced and hurting after a humiliating defeat dished out to the last week. They were convincingly thrashed and only managed 1 try in a woeful display of football labelled the “pathetic� by Wayne Bennet. This should tell us something, what that is, is that the Broncos will come out firing and want to dominate this match. This could go either way. The Eels should know this and compensate by hitting hard and making some strong defensive plays to match the broncos and beat the onslaught. Of course this assumes that the Eels have the defence to match the Broncos go forward.
The other way it could go is that the broncos run in a host of quick tries and seal the game early.

Daniel’s Tip: Broncos

Game 6: Rabbitohs vs Knights

The Knights have yet to make a mark on the competition, their lack of big men up front has shown in a weak attacking team and less than average defence. Joey johns is still a master craftsmen but he needs space to work his magic which he just hasn’t been given at the moment. This must be frustrating for a team not use to the bottom of the table.

The Rabbitohs are having an up and down season, winning some games convincingly and losing other by massive margins. Inconsistent form seems to be a key note of season 2005. They are also suffering from the loss of their fullback due to suspension, which is a blow to any team especially when he is a veteran of the fold of Adam McDougall.

This will be another close game that could go either way. I think however that the Knights will sneak away with a win here against the grain, but this is purely a gut feeling.

Daniel’s Tip: Knights in a tight one

Game 7: Raiders vs Roosters

What a clash this will be. The Roosters will be hurting from a humiliating defeat at the hands of the Tigers and the Raiders are riding high from their so far undefeated season.
The Roosters are struggling greatly to find the ideal halves combination and it is showing in their attacking play. Whilst I still believe Craig Wing is one of the greatest hookers in the game, he is not a 5/8. The Roosters will need to solve this problem and fast if they want to stay in the comp and be a force in the finals. You simply cant win a grand final if you don’t have a top quality half combination.

The Roosters need to fix it fast. Wing has the right build but he is more of a ball carrier than a passer and that style works well for him. This is why he is a better hooker.

I think this is the hardest game to pick. Raiders by rights shouldn’t be going as well as they are and the Roosters should be going better. But this week I am going to go with the Roosters.

Daniel’s Tip: Roosters in a surprise runaway score

<HR>

The bulldogs will be relishing the BYE this week with the news that SBW has been struck down with damage to his ankle. He and Willy Tonga may also have the mumps if reports in the media are to be believed and I am sure this will see the demise of this once great club and they will finish much, much lower this year

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited ]</span>

Thanks mate good stuff.

I think the roosters will win as well.

yup i have a feeling they will run away with it too, the Knaughts will be the upset of the round as well

nice work.

You know what would be funny - if i tipped on your review and you on mine because we thought the other had something worth saying.

I knew I should have waited! Now I have a parlay (4 teams, 6 dbls, 4 tri, 1 quad) on only 2 teams you have picked. I could just screaaaammm. :)

shocking round

I think I only got a couple right as well! :eek:(

was a shocking, shocking round But that is the kind of competition we have this year

I agree, but what sort of mate would be if I just let it slip by.... :) :)

how come you didnt bring up my 4/7 preview then

because its you

:D

your just jealous that i picked 200% more correct than you

200%?

I picked 2 you picked 4. Thats 100% better not 200%.

You must have been the the CW school of mathematics

I just wasn't going to say anything but seeing you have - I wouldn't hire Fluffy to do my books. :p

And while we are being in a good mood I think Mata got 0/7 in the Tipping. I just signed up to match my skills against the guru hehe

*coff coff* I got 6. Manly were the only one's to let me down :(

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4