Daniel Harrison

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I don't know if anyone caught the NSW Cup game last night, with The Bulldogs vs. Wests. I watched on in interest at our newest recruit Daniel Harrison. He is a tall rangey fellow.

To be honest, it got me to thinking about how poor our recruitment has been for the past 12 months.

He came on and looked lethargic, slow, and was dominated in the few tackles made against him. In fact, he didn't touch the ball for almost the 1st 5 minutes. I thought to myself, eeergh, he used to be a lot fitter / faster / dominant - maybe this is what happens when you make the jump to the big boys.

BUT !!!

Then he ran this fantastic line, tore through the defense and scored a great try.

I don't know if it was his coaching telling him to work his way into the game or whatever, but there was definitely a button pushed. He became a man obsessed, and really was the best forward on the field....by some.

He smashed the opposition in defence. He was aggressive. He played in a very up tempo manner. He put a few balls onto players through holes, he hit holes etc.

In fact, the commentators even went on to say that he'd be one of the most missed players through their club.

Performance wise, I'd give him 8/10. He looks good. He looked MUCH better than Lama Tasi, and he was playing against men.

Ok, it was only one game, but I also remember him dominating last time he was in Eagles colours. Don't know lads - think we may have got a belter here.

In under 20's he was very impressive.. he was averaging 50 tackles a game.. was a machine.

Looking forward to watching him go around for us.

I'm pleased we have another back-rower to add to our stocks but I must admit I was hoping for an announcement regarding a replacement for Perry.
Maybe the club is playing it's cards close to it's chest but it's starting to concern me we may find it harder to compete next year.
Surely with Lowe's kiwi connections he could find us a couple of enthusiastic big boppers who are looking for a start.

Our recuitment has stopped because of the salary cap - any more and we go over it. We have injuried players right now that our depth looks thin but next year providing injures dont kill us, we will be fine.

The only players we can afford are either young untested players or older players looking for a chance at first grade.

Over the past couple of years we have only bought these kind of players and after 2008 we had to pay more for Choc, Wolfman, Ballin, Both Stewarts and Lyon. So if we lost ant of them people would jump on this site screaming why we let them go.......
Cant have it both ways guys.

All these great backs and very average front rowers who won't be able to allow this gun backline much room in 2011.

Darren link said:
All these great backs and very average front rowers who won't be able to allow this gun backline much room in 2011.

Average is ok as long as they have heart and can meet the advantage line. I'll take heart over star any day unless the player has both of course. We will be fine, we have a fairly good side.

Hall and Bryant were regarded as average forwards as well, did the business for us though

I think we can get by with Kite, King, Rose and Galuvao as our regualr front rowers for another 12 months

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Hall and Bryant were regarded as average forwards as well, did the business for us though

I think we can get by with Kite, King, Rose and Galuvao as our regualr front rowers for another 12 months

Cross is more than competent as well. I'd consider him a better player than Boxhead.

Rose should be around for another contract & I can see King playing on till he's ready to retire.

Our front row is definitely something that has to be looked at in the future but it's definitely not the basket-case that some would like to believe.

It's not our top 17 that's the problem, it's when our forwards get injured, when don't really have anyone ready to step up and fill the void.

I am hoping for good things from Daniel Harrison, maybe the next Fatty Vautin!! Haha

Wolfpack link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=184859.msg287513#msg287513 date=1282798127]

Cross is more than competent as well. I'd consider him a better player than Boxhead.

Rose should be around for another contract & I can see King playing on till he's ready to retire.

Our front row is definitely something that has to be looked at in the future but it's definitely not the basket-case that some would like to believe.
[/quote]

Absolutely no chance Cross is better than Bryant.

I don't know mate, I think Cross could be more dynamic and they are slightly different players though, a better comparison probably would be Hall, Boxy was an out and out front rower, Cross and Hall can fill 2nd row as well

Bryant was a funny one, bagged to death for a long, long time then after that game at Parramatta Stadium where he returned a kick off on 1 leg the rest of the season and the opinion turned instantly

Bryant was very under-rated. If he was a Queenslander he would have played origin.

Honestly we look a little skinny in the front row next year with Perry going to the UK. We were very unlucky to lose Snake and Wolf for the season. I don't think any other team would have coped as well as we have if they lost 2 international outside backs.

Take these two players out of their respective sides and they would struggle to win as many games as we have.

Hayne & Tahu
Slater & Inglis
Boyd & Nightingale
Minichiello & Perrett

Look how Penrith are struggling without Lachlan Coote, add
Jennings to that and they wouldn't win another game.

Another prop would be a nice addition, one of the Panthers young blokes would be my first pick.

Thanks for that summary of Harrison's peformance Ryan. I've got a niggling concern about why he hasn't got a go in an under performing Bulldogs 1st grade team but without having seen him with my own eyes you have given me some confidence.

I was having look through 'The Kennel' forum yesterday and there were a few of them that were questioning why they're paying big money for an inconsistent backrower like Pritchard and letting players like Harrison go. I've never seen him play but the fact a number of they're fans are dirty he's going tells me he must have something about him.

every person that I spoke to (non manly) never rated Bryant, he was a solid player,  yet these people hink Foran is overrated and matai is a catai  ;D

What do they know?

I know  ;) but you would admit Foran has been tagged a superstar and been quiet and Matai would frustrate "others" whe he seems to be always on the ground clutching the shoulder. Bryant seems to have vanished overseas as never hear much about him.

I don't worry about what others think mate, you have to learn that early over here haha. Most people I talk to think Shane Rodney is still and average player

Matai is like Gallen, every team except the one he plays for hates him, my sort of player haha

Foran, I don't expect massive things from a bloke so young, I am quite happy where he is at.

Bryant is playing for the Crusaders i think, they are sitting inside the 8 over there which is a big effort in their second season, Witt is in that side as well

harrison is unlucky in that moore sees him as another david stagg and felt there isnt room for both in the bullsogs nrl side. Also you can tell the dogs play an up the middle game which doesnt suit wide running backrowers. Harrison has been a standout for nsw cup all year as well as playing in the nsw residents side.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4