Dale Copley

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback but could I ask why the negative feedback? Firstly I have been tying to be really politically correct recently, an secondly I question whether a seasoned 5/8 is better than a hope and a pray that our fringe 5/8's are able to deliver? I am sure what we all want is wins? I accept we need to steer clear of other's problem child's, and I accept how many roosters can you have in the hen house. But a proven performer in big league football has to be better than what we are delivering.
I don’t mind him - he is someone who competes on every play. I am just not sure he is what we need, even if cheap. I am also not sure how he would go alongside DCE. That’s why I reckon we should focus on LG and Cust (perhaps Metcalf) in the immediate future given this year is not a year where we will compete for the premiership.

I can understand that you’d be a bit miffed with the negativity - all you are are doing is making a suggestion. I like it when ideas are floated, like this Copley thread. So please don’t be put off.

Last edited:
gross dumb and dumber GIF

Last time i noticed Dale in the N R L was for a decimated Roosters in the 2021 final 's series when he was still outside of the game day 17 . Not too sure how this would benefit the squad at all if the report was accurate , just too injury prone in recent seasons , can 't recall him previously playing at full back or is in the Brendon Eliott mould , couldn 't see him offering any improvement in the centres and certainly not as a winger . Always had a good opinion of Dale as a good all round and capable centre when fully fit but in the past couple of seasons with his injury prone woes , would seem a strange option for a Manly recruit in the present circumstances .

Whether we were actively chasing him or just enquired about his services I actually like the idea of adding an experienced centre like Copley, someone who would be happy being in a squad and only being used when/if required. Not sure what other experienced centres are still available but I like and understand the thinking behind this. Double Hoops mentioned Oldfield and he would be a great target. Not sure why we wouldn't pursue him a bit harder.

Not too sure what the union offer was but if another cente was being looked at , may as well have kept Funa , Has had nowhere near the experience of Copley but a bit more up side on the durability side and almost on par ability level at the present time . Funa 's best position would be centre apart from his other utility value . Anyway , club obviously could not see the benefit of retaining Funa or was not prepared to match any Union offer but would Dale have been a better alternative , doubt it . Still have Tippy toes as well

Not too sure what the union offer was but if another cente was being looked at , may as well have kept Funa , Has had nowhere near the experience of Copley but a bit more up side on the durability side and almost on par ability level at the present time . Funa 's best position would be centre apart from his other utility value . Anyway , club obviously could not see the benefit of retaining Funa or was not prepared to match any Union offer but would Dale have been a better alternative , doubt it . Still have Tippy toes as well
Its a shame about Funa, he always looked a gun when playing centre but never really got a chance to prove himself there. I can only assume Funa chose to leave as opposed to us not wanting to keep him. At least it shows we are still looking for depth in the backs.

Last time i noticed Dale in the N R L was for a decimated Roosters in the 2021 final 's series when he was still outside of the game day 17 . Not too sure how this would benefit the squad at all if the report was accurate , just too injury prone in recent seasons , can 't recall him previously playing at full back or is in the Brendon Eliott mould , couldn 't see him offering any improvement in the centres and certainly not as a winger . Always had a good opinion of Dale as a good all round and capable centre when fully fit but in the past couple of seasons with his injury prone woes , would seem a strange option for a Manly recruit in the present circumstances .
The last time I watched Copley live was when he was at the Titans. He was up against a young Bronco by the name of Katoni Staggs (I think it may have been his first time in the run on squad).
I had some unwashed Broncos fans behind me. And one in particular kept leaning in, and telling me watch this young bloke Staggs make Copley look like a park footballer. I thought if he gets in my ear one more time im going to elbow him in the head. Then about 10 minutes before kick-off, he pisses off, only to return with 4 more beers. At this stage, I’m thinking just find another seat before kick-off.
‘Then bugger me if he doesn’t lean forward again, and says "I know I’m been a dick, so here’s two beers to apologise!
So I thought this bloke either really believes what he’s saying about Staggs, or he started drinking as soon as the ground gates opened. As you can imagine I was keeping a good eye out on these opposing centres. And bugger me (for the second time), when Staggs got the ball, he put on some great footwork, which left Copley standing grabbing at thin air. I remember when they played the try back on the big screen, and I was watching Copley behind the posts, as a defeated groan came from the Titans supporters in front of me (yes there was more than one!). He just had his head down, standing a fair distance away from the Titans players. Unfortunately for Dale the afternoon didn’t get any better, as Staggs looked like he could beat Copley at will. By the second half, the Titans fans were yelling out, "Fuuck Copley off". And about 15 minutes in to the second half, the Titans coach did.
Oh, by the way, my new Bronco buddy was so elated, he went from beers to Bourbons ,which he was buying me two at a time.(Anyone that’s been to CBUS knows that amounts to about half of your monthly house mortgage payments.)
So yeah, you can imagine my reluctance in Manly going after a bloke that has retired (as a park footballer).

Last edited:
The last time I watched Copley live was when he was at the Titans. He was up against a young Bronco by the name of Katoni Staggs (I think it may have been his first time in the run on squad).
I had some unwashed Broncos fans behind me. And one in particular kept leaning in, and telling me watch this young bloke Staggs make Copley look like a park footballer. I thought if he gets in my ear one more time im going to elbow him in the head. Then about 10 minutes before kick-off, he pisses off, only to return with 4 more beers. At this stage, I’m thinking just find another seat before kick-off.
‘Then bugger me if he doesn’t lean forward again, and says "I know I’m been a dick, so here’s two beers to apologise!
So I thought this bloke either really believes what he’s saying about Staggs, or he started drinking as soon as the ground gates opened. As you can imagine I was keeping a good eye out on these opposing centres. And bugger me (for the second time), when Staggs got the ball, he put on some great footwork, which left Copley standing grabbing at thin air. I remember when they played the try back on the big screen, and I was watching Copley behind the posts, as a defeated groan came from the Titans supporters in front of me (yes there was more than one!). He just had his head down, standing a fair distance away from the Titans players. Unfortunately for Dale the afternoon didn’t get any better, as Staggs looked like he could beat Copley at will. By the second half, the Titans fans were yelling out, "Fuuck Copley off". And about 15 minutes in to the second half, the Titans coach did.
Oh, by the way, my new Bronco buddy was so elated, he went from beers to Bourbons ,which he was buying me two at a time.(Anyone that’s been to CBUS knows that amounts to about half of your monthly house mortgage payments.)
So yeah, you can imagine my reluctance in Manly going after a bloke that has retired (as a park footballer).
Haha - Signing Copley would have gone down like a wet balloon on here. Imagine how many pages there'd be on this thread by the time March rolled around.

Gee , that is a story and a half but in a good sense of course . Unreal , maybe a bit of aggravation with the Broncs supporter in the early stages but probably a just reward for your tolerance , Must have felt , at least initially, a bit guilty annoying you but certainly more then made up for it and if he was eventually feeling in good spirits [ couldn 't resist it ] guess that he thought that you may as well too . Would seem a shame then for Copley having a poor game against admittedly, an elusive player in Staggs , as Dale was a real good centre in his prime .

Sadly he has been very injury prone - is a quality player when not injured but that hasn't been often. He is an even better human I can assure you - top shelf good guy. But yes we offered him a deal and he is happy to be retired. But shows we are in the market for a backup Centre with experience.

I don’t mind him - he is someone who competes on every play. I am just not sure he is what we need, even if cheap. I am also not sure how he would go alongside DCE. That’s why I reckon we should focus on LG and Cust (perhaps Metcalf) in the immediate future given this year is not a year where we will compete for the premiership.

I can understand that you’d be a bit miffed with the negativity - all you are are doing is making a suggestion. I like it when ideas are floated, like this Copley thread. So please don’t be put off.
We haven't even made the first tackle yet, bit early to go off all pessimistic Ranga. So what's your dome and gloom summation for our season going forward.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4