Dale “Rowdy” Shearer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Normie

Bencher
13AB855B-1F6D-4AB9-86B0-FD6B508EFCBE.jpeg
C857DF93-AF39-4062-B881-8AB27B5FAA71.jpeg
Looks fit enough to slot straight into the side.....

Few a few seasons in the mid to late 80s he was brilliant for Manly and he admitted that he regrets the day that he left us, blinding speed at his peak and scored some amazing tries for Manly ! Great to see Rowdy doing well!
He said that he left Manly for Brisbane so that his wife could be closer to her family however once he got there, he tried unsuccessfully to come back!

He said that he left Manly for Brisbane so that his wife could be closer to her family however once he got there, he tried unsuccessfully to come back!
My memory of the time is that our then CEO Doug Daley told the whole playing squad that if you are unhappy at the club you can leave, 1989 was a tough year for Manly, few wins, lots of disruption and well off the finals race. Rowdy chose to take up the Donkeys offer and he was never the same player.

Rowdy chose to take up the Donkeys offer and he was never the same player.
Maybe not but can't have been too bad, he continued to be selected for Queensland and Australia for several years after leaving Manly.
it is a very positive sign that more former players are being seen around the place lately, even if only for a visit. We lost our soul there for a bit. Yes, may well be a business these days, but I think it's really important that some of the 'club' characteristics endure.

Few a few seasons in the mid to late 80s he was brilliant for Manly and he admitted that he regrets the day that he left us, blinding speed at his peak and scored some amazing tries for Manly ! Great to see Rowdy doing well!
Yes so true sheridanstand78 and he still loves the club with a passion, something we need these new breed to embrace

I recall when he started he seemed a bit scrawny and quick enough but hardly lightning, yet he was clearly a 'goer' and also showed some footy nous from very early on.

I recall when he started he seemed a bit scrawny and quick enough but hardly lightning, yet he was clearly a 'goer' and also showed some footy nous from very early on.
I dont agree. I have games from the 80s on disk when he played for Manly & when he was fully fit, he was lightning fast. I would pick him & Brett Stewart as 2 of the fastest that I have seen in a Manly jumper.

I dont agree. I have games from the 80s on disk when he played for Manly & when he was fully fit, he was lightning fast. I would pick him & Brett Stewart as 2 of the fastest that I have seen in a Manly jumper.

The only Manly players I've seen that came close to the speed of Rowdy and Snake at their peaks were Scott Donald and Andrew Frew.

Oh, and Michael Oldfield.

I agree he ended up as a real speedster, but in his early games for Manly I never noticed him to have exceptional speed. Maybe he just never got in the clear. Or maybe his speed developed over a couple of years? I probably didn't watch too many games back then so my impressions may be quite wrong. He certainly became one of my favourites. Having the speed of him and O'Connor together was pretty exciting, a long range score was always a chance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4