Curious! (Not waving, drowning)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I'm just curious that there's been virtually no discussion of what is probably going to turn out to be the greatest disaster (in terms of lives lost) that many will have seen in our lives to this point.

The toll is already more than ten times that of 9/11.

Why is that?

Is it just to large a disaster for us to comprehend and discuss?

Does it shake our confidence in the apparent security of life?

Why does the main focus seem to be on what 'celebrities' have died rather than the horrific magnitude of the disaster in poverty stricken areas like Galle and Aceh?

Any thoughts?

Well it's all out there too be seen. Theres nothing to debate about...(it's not like it's Johny's or Bush's fault).

It's a disaster and it's so unbelievable it like a movie. Which not even the greenies can blame the people on the earth on.

I'm just curious that there's been virtually no discussion of what is probably going to turn out to be the greatest disaster (in terms of lives lost) that many will have seen in our lives to this point.

The toll is already more than ten times that of 9/11.

Why is that?

Is it just to large a disaster for us to comprehend and discuss?

Does it shake our confidence in the apparent security of life?

Why does the main focus seem to be on what 'celebrities' have died rather than the horrific magnitude of the disaster in poverty stricken areas like Galle and Aceh?

Any thoughts?

The toll is bigger than 9/11 because unless you drop an atomic bomb on a city like new york, you can't kill that many people. Terrorists just don't have that sort of power yet.

I think it is very hard to comprehend. Its like anything in life. If you havn't experienced it, you can understand it. Matabele, you may have a vague idea due to your upbringing and death and destruction of your contry but we havn't. We live very shelterd lives here in Australia so understanding the inormity and devistation this will cause the already underprivilaged counties is hard for many of us.

It doesn't shake my confidence in life. In fact death is life. If you live, expect to die, its un-avoidable. The confidence shakers comes from the realisation that when you go, you may no be able to say goodbye to those you love. Death can be so sudden and that what people get scared about. You may not see it coming.

I saw a snippet of ET yesterday. Saying that Jet Lee (actor in "The One" and various other movies) was holidaying in the Muldives and is OK after running to higher ground in a hotel suit. It disgusts me that a person can put prioroty on a persons life. I would much rather hear of a hollywood star dying than a 6 year old child who watched his whole family get swept away in the waters.

This is not a topic to debate byso, its a topic to disguss amongts each other because no one is right or wrond in a situation like this. Theirs only sadness.

Good reply Flipper. Well thought through.

Personally I'm not keen to trawl through the pieces of such a terrible event. I'm gladdened by the response of "the West" in sending aid etc and I hope that continues. It is good to see there's still good at the heart of humanity.

I dounbt America will have the spair change to help out. They are shutting down schools to pay for their war. :(

Doesnt suprise me flip.

THings are pretty bad there, compared to here. I really hope we stop going that way in a lot of things.

Please don't let us be like the USA.

I know my family is breathing a sigh of relief right now... my uncle's brother, his wife and their small child were caught in it. Their hotel was washed away from undearneath them. They should be home now, but they were sheltering in a church.

DAMMIT

I want to be there to help.

What we also have to remember Matabele and I heard on the radio thismorning that they are only counting the dead. Not the missing. Their are at least another 100 000 people still missing!!! They are not found dead so are not counted yet. This is truly a wake up earth message from god do you think. We are too busy killing each other to remember what we should be doing. This travesty has stopped the wars in these coutries and terrorist attacks and everyone is finally working together like we should.

Although terrible, their is a serious message in it all. :(

I just think with Aceh there was 1 million people living in that strip and the wave went through there like a dose of salts.

I think they probably have no real idea of the dead and missing but it could be a lot higher than what is being spoken of in that region alone! Aceh alone could run to 250,000 dead before this is over.

It is interesting that the separatist and religious insurgencies have been stopped in their tracks. It's a shame it takes a disaster to focus people's minds on what is important. It's also sad that we'll have all "moved on" in a month's time.

We will never know the full toll as the disease and other problems will continue on for a while in some areas.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4