Crucified

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matabele

Journey Man
That's the only way I can describe the hysterical coverage of the Brett Stewart case in today's press.  Who could blame him for examining his overseas options?

He'll be cleared in court, but not in the court of public opinion after the media have done their best.

Brett will get over this and get on with his footie life.  It's just an ugly part of celebrity life these days.  Players coming through the ranks certainly have to learn from this debacle.  In my humble opinion he won't have a case to answer come the 22nd.  I would be very surprised if the girl, or her father are adjudged credible witnesses for any charge to go forward.  An absence of DNA, dodgy witnesses, medical background, step mum contradicting the dad etc...all very, very stupid.  However, it wouldn't surprise me if Brett and Glenn wanted to go overseas for a couple of years to escape the limelight.  It would be good, if after a period, they came back to the Mighty Eagles to finish their careers.   

all i can say is that people i know in the legal industry are finding all of this to be very strange.

and yes if innocent you would have to think he would be considering getting away from the low life scum that are the newspaper clowns

Glenn Stewart mistook me for a low life scum newshound last Thursday in court and looked daggers at me.  Wouldn't surprise me if they both headed off to England to get away from all this.

Maybe he knew exactly who you were and was upset with your perpetual public lambasting of his teammate the Ox . . .

img_enjoy_responsibly.jpg

I agree that the media is doing their very best to crucify Stewy. Any bad press towards the girl is covered up, whereas anything relating negatively to Stewy is worded in the worst possible way.
I sincerely hope that both boys will be strong enough to stay at Manly. The only reason that this case has any media coverage at all is because of who Stewy is. I'm not indicating that it's not a messy business but your average Joe would be sitting back and relaxing by now.

I can only assume he ran over the cat of the editor of the Telegraph.  Prior to this episode he was known as a player enthusiastic about charitable pursuits and so on.  That was quickly forgotten in the rush to trample his reputation and character in the gutter. 

I hope it happens to some of these journalists throwing the mud to be honest.

The simple way to solve it is to not buy the Telegraph. Unfortunately the majority of RL fans struggle with anything over 2 syllables and have never opened a broadsheet in their lives. The Telegraph exists for the same reason that A Current of Air and Today Tonight pass as hard hitting current affairs in the minds of that demographic.

If he doesn't get pissed and go near a 17 year old... he doesn't get crucified.

It's clear something happened on the night.... I agree that the media go overboard with league players but if he didn't put himself in the position then he wouldn't be copping all this crap.

Nutzcraw link said:
If he doesn't get pissed and go near a 17 year old... he doesn't get crucified.

It's clear something happened on the night.... I agree that the media go overboard with league players but if he didn't put himself in the position then he wouldn't be copping all this crap.

So if he wants to move from a taxi to his front door should he wait until there are no people around ?

No kiwi, what nutz is saying is, whatever happened the evening of the alledged offence would have been better delt with sober / not so pissed to cant recall anything.

He would have been better off wrapped in cotton wool and only leaving the house to go to Footy training and games as well, doesn't mean he should live his life that way and that the gutter journo's should dictate how somebody lives

I have seen evidence of Menzies out absolutely pissed 1 night a few years ago, anybody has a right to go out and have some fun, and if there allegations prove to be false then there shouldn't be any problem with a bloke having half a dozen beers

If you hadn't noticed. Brett Stewart is up on sexual assault charges over an incident he can't even remember because he was so intoxicated.

^^ is not the best way to avoid media scrutiny.

+ half a dozen beers doesn't erase your memory.

Nobody is saying footballers cant have a good time (shock horror even in public), however, I would think the best way to avoid media attention is to do everything in your power to stay out of it.

Flip link said:
If you hadn't noticed. Brett Stewart is up on sexual assault charges over an incident he can't even remember because he was so intoxicated.

^^ is not the best way to avoid media scrutiny.

+ half a dozen beers doesn't erase your memory.

Nobody is saying footballers cant have a good time (shock horror even in public), however, I would think the best way to avoid media attention is to do everything in your power to stay out of it.

Has he confirmed that he can't remember it, or was that a media fact ?

I reckon I only had about 12 beers at my wedding, but i am doing my best to forget it........

nah its good guys really get married it's awesome.......honestly.....yes honey what's that......of course I will cook dinner and rub your feet.........mumble......

Brett is a victim of the media's salacious bid to focus on the evils of league players which fills up papers. In the end all they have done is report what was stated in court, though the way it is reported implies he is guilty.  It would be the same, no matter which club and player (high profile that it is) happened to highlighted. I don't think it is personal, though the timing in being the game's poster boy to being up in serious charges didn't help his case.

Sadly , mud sticks and even if Brett is found innocent, his reputation has taken a blow. Hopefully he will be able to put this behind himself, move on and make headlines for the right reasons. Bird and a few other 'allegedly' grubby characters seem to be have been cut some slack so hopefully this will be the experience of Snake. He should not expect any apologies or admissions of anything untoward as noone in the media or the NRL will do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8