• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ryan are you playing bird at half or 5/8, certainly sounds like it.

and wtf does "and can actually turn over the ball with his defence in attack" mean? Are you saying he is a good defender or good attacker?

I know Willow wouldnt get a start at souths, but neither would Bird and i wouldnt have either starting at Manly for that matter.

I have the feeling your wearing the rose coloured glasses back to front and see all the other teams players as superstars

Fluffy - Bird can defend like he's attacking, and cause turn over's. Willow is a solid defender. Big difference. Dude - you idolise Jason King, so it's hard for me to change your perception of me wearing backward rose coloured glasses. I critique. You idolise.

he is an average defender in the halves, and below average in the forwards, how you rate him so highly is beyond me. Im guessing you saw one good hit and then extrapolated. I cannot fathom bird taking on even half of Bk's role in attack, smashing into the opposition pack time and time again, breaking the line and eating metres like George Rose eats pies then tackling time and time again. Guess i missed that game.

I Would take willow over bird, but i would take Stewy, cutbo and more likely halfasanga over both of them as well as a few others.

Needless to say our backrow is on par with the sharks, Just throw the glasses in the bin - it will help all of us.

as for idolising king - he would make a better winger than cuthbo and nothing more needs to be said on that.

How do you figure garts?

he doesnt hit the line hard?

Bird offers a more all round game than Willow, especially in attack. Doesnt mean anything anyway as I wouldnt have either in Manlys 17 if it were my choice.

We all know Ryan thinks every team has a better roster than Manly every 2nd day, half the players mentioned have not shown anything for years. Our backrow is definately mid range at worst, thats without knowing who is playing lock imo.

I'd take Willow over bird too. That's not saying much though. Bird is too small, too predictable and has no heart.

At least Willow has heart.

Rhino is on his "guys, we are farked this season" medication.

He'll snap out of it... he just needs to see the boys in action again.

Rhino remember last year.. Results after round 26 - finished 5th.

Round 25 - we were out right third and to stay needed to beat the minor premiers and the team that went on to make the grand final... do you remember watching that game??

Do you remember how we were giving that game a good shake right up til the end... without BK!!

I think once you see the boys run out and start playing your faith shall be restored.

2007 - The year of the Eagle! ;)

[quote author=The Wheel]
What about Mark Graham, Fred Teasdall & Peter Mayoh - now that was a great back row

Not a patch on Rod Henniker, Glen Boatswain and Peter Cross. Better still what about Moore, Larson and Fairleigh. Manly would die to have a backrow now of those 3 in their prime.
[/quote]

I think we would much prefer the trio of Menzies, Gartner, Kosef in their prime over those three premiershipless players.

I'd take Willow over bird too. That's not saying much though. Bird is too small, too predictable and has no heart.

At least Willow has heart.

No heart is a tough call on Bird. No brain? Sure. But he seems to play with only heart most of the time.

Near the end of last year Kimmorley gave him an absolute hospital pass, and a player with no heart would've spilled it and tried to protect his body - Bird on the other hand, took the massive body blow (tackle from Joey and Simpson I think) and ended up with a couple of cracked ribs for good measure.

I'd take Willow purely because I dislike Bird as a person, but for their playing values.... Bird comes out on top.

[quote author=tookey]
[quote author=The Wheel]
What about Mark Graham, Fred Teasdall & Peter Mayoh - now that was a great back row

Not a patch on Rod Henniker, Glen Boatswain and Peter Cross. Better still what about Moore, Larson and Fairleigh. Manly would die to have a backrow now of those 3 in their prime.
[/quote]

I think we would much prefer the trio of Menzies, Gartner, Kosef in their prime over those three premiershipless players.
[/quote]

Not one of those pathetic bears would get a run ahead of our magical three.

[quote author=Fluffy]
How do you figure garts?

Bird offers a more all round game than Willow, especially in attack. Doesnt mean anything anyway as I wouldnt have either in Manlys 17 if it were my choice.

We all know Ryan thinks every team has a better roster than Manly every 2nd day, half the players mentioned have not shown anything for years. Our backrow is definately mid range at worst, thats without knowing who is playing lock imo.
[/quote]

It may be a little hard for you to swallow, but

Willie Mason
Mark O'Meley
Andrew Ryan
Reni Matua
Sonny Bill Williams

are a better forward pack than ours. Stop being so blind you fool. I will say this all the time when we have:-

Jason King
Brent Kite
Anthony Watmough
Steve Menzies
Luke Williamson

as its comparison. It's called reality.

Fluffy - if you have to fall back on comments in 2005 to support your argument, I will humbly accept that as your verification that I have proven my theory in this thread.

Wheel, I am concerned about the forwards we have. Not the backline. The backline will only work properly if the forwards do. I list other packs to show the difference between the class. I mean, take a look at Souths compared to ours:-

Cusack
Asotasi
Kidwell
Fa'alongo
Gulovou
Widders
Manukafoa
Geddes
Sutton

etc etc...

Can you imagine our pack around SOO playing that pack.

Rose
Bryant
King
Menzies (Good)
Watmough (Good)
Hall
Williamson

etc etc....so yeah, there's a level of concern about our chances this year.

I just won't be so blind as to say, we will win the premiership this year. The club's not projecting it. I won't. They said 2008/2009 as the potential years...

[quote author=Garts]
[quote author=Fluffy]
How do you figure garts?

[/quote]

It may be a little hard for you to swallow, but

Willie Mason
Mark O'Meley
Andrew Ryan
Reni Matua
Sonny Bill Williams

are a better forward pack than ours. Stop being so blind you fool. I will say this all the time when we have:-

Jason King
Brent Kite
Anthony Watmough
Steve Menzies
Luke Williamson

as its comparison. It's called reality.

Fluffy - if you have to fall back on comments in 2005 to support your argument, I will humbly accept that as your verification that I have proven my theory in this thread.

Wheel, I am concerned about the forwards we have. Not the backline. The backline will only work properly if the forwards do. I list other packs to show the difference between the class. I mean, take a look at Souths compared to ours:-

Cusack
Asotasi
Kidwell
Fa'alongo
Gulovou
Widders
Manukafoa
Geddes
Sutton

etc etc...

Can you imagine our pack around SOO playing that pack.

Rose
Bryant
King
Menzies (Good)
Watmough (Good)
Hall
Williamson

etc etc....so yeah, there's a level of concern about our chances this year.

I just won't be so blind as to say, we will win the premiership this year. The club's not projecting it. I won't. They said 2008/2009 as the potential years...
[/quote]

If I called you a fool there would be tears and a tantrum but I am not a baby like yourself so keep em coming champ, I have a think skin.

Ryan please note I did not say we had a better backrow than all the teams, I said we are mid field and I agree the Bulldogs are well and truly above us I just choose not to choke myself black and blue on daily basis like you do over them.

what theory ryan?

The only theory you have put up is the difference between willow/stewart/alfasamaga/wells/cuthbo and bird is the difference between a good backrow and a poor backrow.

The reality is that one of our worst options in willow is no worse than bird as a backrower, neither would get a start at most clubs, yet through your inconsitant critisism you feel that bird is a great backrower.

Do you really rate bird as a better backrower than Glenn Stewart?

what theory ryan?

The only theory you have put up is the difference between willow/stewart/alfasamaga/wells/cuthbo and bird is the difference between a good backrow and a poor backrow.

The reality is that one of our worst options in willow is no worse than bird as a backrower, neither would get a start at most clubs, yet through your inconsitant critisism you feel that bird is a great backrower.

Do you really rate bird as a better backrower than Glenn Stewart?

Are you serious Fluffy. Lets take a look at our last game against Cronulla. Guess what, Bird stormed over the top of Travis Burns / Anthony Watmough to score a try, and tear the game apart. Does Willow have that ability? In fact, was Willow on a nudy run last year?
In that same game, Bird absolutely smashed Steppa (I think it was) when we were on the attack, and he turned the ball over. All I can remember about your Willow, is his sling shot of Darren Lockyer toward our OWN try line @ Suncorp.

Ok. If Willow played at The Sharks, and Ricky Stuart was coach, and he had Thompson, Gallen, Bird & Willow to choose from, who would he pick?

Garts - your a fool because you say I think every team is better than ours. Not so. I think we have one of the best backlines in the competition, but think our forwards are shot (apart from Kite).

Chocs form was poor to average in 06.
Beaver finished the season looking very lethargic (maybe a syndrome of rep footy?).
Rose / Bryant are reserve graders that stepped up to just hold a spot in 1st grade unless Leuluai wasn't suspended or injured - then one of them were dropped.
King shouldn't be playing 1st grade @ his current skill / mobility level. It's his passion and leadership that keeps him there.
Willow wouldn't be in any other backrow in the competition.

Kite is a gun.
I thought Leuluai when not injured / suspended was good.
Rose I believe could acheive a lot.
Bryant I believe could achieve a lot (INCLUDING) maybe City / Country this year - depending on how the team is fairing?

It's Willow / King that will have an adverse affect on our Premiership hopes. That said, I have stated on many occasions that I think Matai @ Lock will work (after thinking on it), adding impact, mobility and speed around the ruck.

Look - who knows - maybe they will fire (forwards), maybe they won't, but I'd prefer to be in the position of KNOWING they are going to fire.

And Garts, no dude, there's no sulking etc as you claim above. I give crap. I get crap. It's that simple. Rather enjoyable as well.

The fact is nowdays in the NRL you cant have star players all over the park. For example the dogs have a gun forward pack but their backline are pretty ordinary.

I just dont understand how you can call our backrow flimsy compared to the Sharks, Souths or Penrith for example. We are light on compared to last year with BK leaving but in no way are some of the backrows you mentioned better than ours.

We all know King has been crap over the years, not disagreeing on that. Willo offers very little to the side but I am sure he wont be playing the whole season at the back of our scrum. If he does I agree that we are in strife, but some of these younger players will step up this year. In regards to our forward depth, yes it is a big worry but compared to quite a few other clubs (not all, yes the Dogs have awesome depth and give me a fat one) we are in a pretty similar boat, ie lose a couple of forwards and we will struggle.

And there is also no guarantee the backrowers you have mentioned will fire in 2007. We all thought Watmough would fire in 2006, he didnt. Rooster supporters thought Harrison and Anasta would fire, they didnt the list could go on.

And yes there has been sulking in the past on your behalf when comments have been made so I thought you might be more understanding and considerate before firing hurtful comments my way. :((

Are you serious Ryan? Rose a reserve grader. Take a look at the roosters game where he smashed through the line then stepped the fullback to score under the posts. He can bust the line at will and can step past any fullback that tries to stop him. He even threw a few good pases in that game, he should play half back instead of Orford who all i can remeber is him choking in the knights game.

What a shock - your basing this on one game where he went ok. Im basing this on a number of games where he went ****e. One game does not make the man. FFS based on one game you could have any player look better than any other.

And how can a fact be a question? Surely if your quoting a fact you wouldnt need to ask if its true.

I seriously question your memory if all you can remeber is willow sling shotting lockyer towards the try line.

The FACT remains that you still have not answered the question on Glenn Stewart.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6