Coronavirus sucks.. but the NRL lives!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I’m really sorry about that Jerry1. That’s a terrible situation, hope your ok mate. Got no words really, stay strong. Talk to people around you or people here if needed mate. Or anyone else for that matter..

Personally iv been told I’ll be made redundant in coming weeks, crazy world at the moment..
Fingers crossed hey mate.

The only way I could support a team other than Manly is that a full restructure of the game, keep the out of Sydney teams as they are but have 4 or 5 new teams in Sydney with zero links, colours, names with current teams while having none of the current Sydney teams in the comp.

Northern Beaches team
City Team
Southern Beaches team
Western Sydney team
South West Sydney team

They could keep the comp to 16 teams and allow more teams in other states.
No fan wants their team to be the one to be culled but if every Sydney fan had to follow a new team it might not be as bad.

This is worrying but I too believe that if the nrl can make it through so will we.

Do we rely on the leagues club at all for income?

It's a joke fabric of society pubs, clubs, food outlets, sport gone.
I think this will it ruin our code and fabric of it. Just not sure if rugby league will be the same already in uk I believe it's nearly done.

I don’t think I could support another NRL team. I tried to get on board with the Northern Eagles but it just didn’t work. I’d still watch rugby league and probably enjoy it but I don’t think I’d form an allegiance to a particular team. I’d be happy to know the team I used to follow and love never got the spoon.

I’m no legal eagle but clubs will surely be looking at possible legal action for NRLs total lack of management of funds.
I mean 1 billion dollars? Where the fuc$ is it?
I am pretty sure the terms of the license each club has from the NRL prevents them from suing the NRL.

Phil Rothfield on rugby league’s future as coronavirus forces NRL to shut down season 2020
Whether the NRL resumes in two months or a year, it will likely be missing some clubs as the competition comes to terms with a decision that will change the game forever, writes PHIL ROTHFIELD.

Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only

|

March 23, 2020 6:20pm

Close

Rugby league will never be the same.

When the game eventually resumes in two months, six months or even next year it might be without a handful of the 16 clubs.

That’s how serious it is.

Peter V’landys has said all along coronavirus would have a “catastrophic” effect on the code if it was forced to shut down. And it will.

There is absolutely no guarantee all clubs will survive.

Player salaries will be slashed by a minimum 25 per cent. The salary cap will go from $9.6 million to about $7 million.

The NRL now employs 140 full-time staff. Those numbers will be slashed.

There’s no question some of the Sydney clubs are facing enormous challenges like every other business.

When Gladys Berejiklian shut the doors of all licensed premises on Monday, it meant the likes of Canterbury, Parramatta, Penrith and Wests Ashfield would now struggle to prop up the football clubs.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
https://www.news.com.au/wp-content/themes/vip/newscorpau-nca/assets/dist/img/common/icons/offnet-icon.svg
1584952030886.png

Test cricket is back! Watch Australia v Sri Lanka live Foxtel Now 10 day free trial*

In recent years these four NRL teams have relied on grants of between $3 million and $10 million to stay afloat. That cash is now gone.

So has weekly ticket sales, season memberships, corporate suites and match day advertising.

And now the TV broadcast money from Fox Sports and Channel 9 cuts off.

This is a bigger crisis than the Super League war.

In those days money was the least of their problems.

Only three of the Sydney clubs don’t rely on poker machine money these days – the Manly Sea Eagles, the South Sydney Rabbitohs and Cronulla Sharks, who closed their club before Christmas.

Still Manly is one of many clubs that face an uncertain future with the Penn family rumoured to want to sell for the last 12 months.

They don’t mind losing one of two million each year but they won’t sit back and soak up bigger losses.

The same with the privately owned Gold Coast Titans, whose owners, the Frizelle family, are already experiencing tough enough times in the car industry.

Full marks to the NRL and V’landys for doing their best to keep the competition going.

They had no choice because the game has no money.

Players will have no choice but to take pay cuts.

Hundreds of thousands of workers around the country are in a much worse position than they are.

Interestingly the licenses of the 16 clubs are up for renewal at the end of next season.

The game will have to start again.

A new streamlined management at NRL headquarters.

Right now they have 140 full-time employees … compared to the English Premier League that has only 120.

We need smarter minds on the independent commission who will put future investment ahead of player payments and club handouts.

That way next time we have a catastrophe of this magnitude, we’ll at least be better equipped to cope with it.

Well, it seems that the sad reality has finally hit home. Regardless of how all of our feathered friends perceived this corona virus argument, the reality is, that it has put a stop to what we had been waiting for all pre-season.

I hope everyone in this forum takes care of themselves in the best way possible and their families. We all may share different views on here at times, but we all have that maroon and white blood that runs through our veins. We all cheer when things go well and some want to sack players when things don't go very well, but that comes with being a Sea Eagle (It is a passionate thing).

I have made several good friends and engaged in many great conversations with fellow supporters on here. I really hope that even if the NRL disappears and for some reason our beloved Sea Eagles are forced to move on (which I whole-heartedly doubt), that we don't just give up on our Sea Eagles. Should the Sea Eagles no longer field a team in any RL competition at all, my RL days are over as I will not follow any other team.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, if the worst does happen I hope this silvertails community can stay together somehow. I believe Mwse and the nrl as it is will come through the other end.

I’ve seen years of great things, ridiculous fighting and godawful puns on this site. Let me be clear - horrible puns, that I as a father now use daily.

Wishing everyone and their families here good fortunes (somehow) and relief In the times ahead

I hope planning this week can give some clarity on a possible return date for the NRL. But I do know how hard that is given the rapidly changing circumstances. I can’t believe this has happened :( I’m out of work, my uni plans have been flipped which has stressed me out big time - the footy was my biggest escape! But I do want to recognise that I am so blessed I still live at home so am in a much better position than so many other casuals. Just needed to vent :(

As inevitably people get further and further in debt to get through this when life does start to return to normal the 1% will own more of everything and be richer than ever. The gap between rich and poor will be bigger than ever ....... social unrest is on the way.

They’ve been hammering Manly as a club to go under all night on NRL 360.

Some what reassuringly though, Tooves was just on and when posed the question he said if the Penns didn’t save the club there would be other suitors and fans that would.

I think I’ll take that as some potentially blind faith in the fact we’ll come out of this ok.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8